The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lumix S1R experience

iiiNelson

The Sony A7R IV can be bought for the same price as the S1R used, but I strongly dislike Sony UX and a camera I do not like to use... I never use. The S1R seems to have really good usability. I'll need to find out whether the AF is suitable for me. In most of my applications (well over 90%) I don't need any fast AF, since I'm a slow landscape shooter. Manual focus there is also not a problem. Maybe I combine one native lens (the 50mm 1.8) with the body to mitigate the issue.

I think I'll really need to try it out. Thank you for your help!
The thing with menus is that with use they all become easier and with customization there’s rarely a need to go into menus. Personally I’ve always felt the issue was overblown by people that never own the cameras. I initially would get lost in the menus of more or less every camera until I used it quite a bit and even between similar models different features were available. So I don’t see a huge reason to compromise capability over UX if it comes down to it. It’s different when application is nearly equivalent but at a baseline they simply aren’t equivalents given the desire to use adapted lenses.

anyone

The thing with menus is that with use they all become easier and with customization there’s rarely a need to go into menus. Personally I’ve always felt the issue was overblown by people that never own the cameras. I initially would get lost in the menus of more or less every camera until I used it quite a bit and even between similar models different features were available. So I don’t see a huge reason to compromise capability over UX if it comes down to it. It’s different when application is nearly equivalent but at a baseline they simply aren’t equivalents given the desire to use adapted lenses.
My own Sony experience is a bit dated (A6300), but back then I strongly disliked it. Usability is an important factor to me. But arguably it's unfair to project the experiences with a small APS-C mirrorless body to a latest-generation full frame mirrorless.

eddystone

The Sony A7R IV can be bought for the same price as the S1R used, but I strongly dislike Sony UX and a camera I do not like to use... I never use. The S1R seems to have really good usability. I'll need to find out whether the AF is suitable for me. In most of my applications (well over 90%) I don't need any fast AF, since I'm a slow landscape shooter. Manual focus there is also not a problem. Maybe I combine one native lens (the 50mm 1.8) with the body to mitigate the issue.

If you're going down that route, strongly recommend teaming the S1R with Sigma 65/2; i'm sure the Panny S 50/1.8 is great but I prefer the slightly tighter crop of 65mm and the Sigma is has great build and feel and makes the S1R a handier, lighter piece of kit.

iiiNelson

My own Sony experience is a bit dated (A6300), but back then I strongly disliked it. Usability is an important factor to me. But arguably it's unfair to project the experiences with a small APS-C mirrorless body to a latest-generation full frame mirrorless.
No that’s fair and I’m not a fan of Sony APS-C cameras really myself.

I’m not saying that you have to get a Sony. I’m just saying the user experience using adapted AF lenses are going to be significantly better than with the S1R.most people using EF lenses are doing so for video purposes exclusively on L-mount cameras. Most have given up using them for photo usage if AF is any concern. With all systems native is better but with Sony and Canon adapted can work on some level. I initially leaned Canon RF for you because they have a great selection of adapters that work for EF lenses.

Ultimately, I’d try them all out in store if you can’t rent to see how the performance works but on my S1R I limit use to native lenses for AF and manual PL or legacy photo for video. I understand that Sony has lots of options in their menus and it’s simply because the cameras can do a lot of different things… and do them rather well. Many features people never touch and can largely be disregarded. It’s justimportant to remember that most of these cameras are designed for a wide range of users.

aksclix

I have an S1R along with a Leica SL2. I use the S1R primarily for the post focus feature to stack images “in camera”. Also use the sigma 105 macro lens on that.. again, for stacking. It gets under used because of the other cameras I have but I intend to only use it for these purposes. THe IQ is quite awesome!
Pros:
Comfortable grip
Great IQ
In camera image stacking
Great evf and lcd
Long menu but easy to navigate and setup

Cons:
Heavy!!
Big!
CDAF so AF can be challenging in some lighting conditions
Below average battery life

Last edited:

Douglas Ball

I bought a Sl-2 when it first came out just to try it. I liked it so much I traded my Leica SL for a second body and added a grip to it. To me it is the perfect camera, and it is hard for me to imagine any new model or system that would make me give them up. I have moved on to using adapted Zeiss ZE lenses, mainly Milvus and some Classic. I have gone back to manual focusing for the bulk of the work I do. I still have my SL zooms, the 50 1.4 Summilux, and the 35 and 75 APO Summicrons. If I need AF then I will use them. Otherwise it is the Zeiss that I really enjoy.
These tend to be heavy lenses. Therefore having a larger body with some weight is a asset.
Coming from DSLR's I never thought the S1-R was a large camera. It just suits my hands well. The buttons work well for me. I can see at a glance before turning on how the camera is set up. The flip out display is brilliant and I could not see using a camera without it. This would rule out the SL2.
In my opinion the electronics in the Lumix all seem to work better than in the SL. Flash for Godox has always worked with the Panasonic protocol. With the SL- SL2, until just recently, users were limited to inadequate and pricey rebranded flashes.
The body is rugged and the finish durable whereas my old SL scratched easily. I have dropped the S1-r and abused it but with no ill effect.
In my opinion it is a professional grade camera. Some people criticize the number of buttons yet once set up, you rarely have to access them. The layout and options available make for faster shooting. This includes night shooting and when wearing gloves. My feeling is that the designers spent a lot of time incorporating into the system the features that pros might need. Some options lead to faster battery drain, such as constant auto focus. I have never used it. I have always thought the battery life was very good and in fact since it is larger, I expect better than the SL2 battery life
The one negative that users keep talking about is the lacklustre performance when shooting AFC. This may be true. I cannot comment on this because I never use that mode. When using the Leica lenses the AF focus is quick and very accurate. Could not ask for anything better IMO.
The bottom line is I really enjoy using these bodies and rarely do I ever take out my older M 261, Q-P, or S 006 cameras.

bensonga

I'm late to this thread, so I apologize for the delayed reply. Did you get a S1R?

From your comments above, I think the S1R would be a good match for you. My shooting style is similar (slow and mostly of stationary objects/scenes, though not necessarily landscapes). I have both the S1 and S1R, plus a number of the S Pro lenses. I have been very happy with them. I prefer the slightly larger body size of the Panasonic S1/S1R. I have also always liked the Panasonic menu structures and physical controls (I've used both Panasonic and Olympus m43 cameras for many years).

These are typical of the kind of photos I've taken with the S1R.

__PA0187 JPG HC&S Puunene Meat Market 1926 Cropped +15 Shadows P1800.jpg__PA0218 JPG A&B Sugar Mill Maui Cropped-3 P3000.jpg

Last edited:

bensonga

One more example with the S1R. Lumix 24-105/4 lens.

I am printing this image right now for an upcoming color print exchange. Epson P800, Moab Entrada Rag Bright 300 gsm paper.

Gary

__PA0095 JPG Haleakala Chukar on Rocks Cropped CLREFX w-caption P1800.jpg

anyone

I'm late to this thread, so I apologize for the delayed reply. Did you get a S1R?

From your comments above, I think the S1R would be a good match for you. My shooting style is similar (slow and mostly of stationary objects/scenes, though not necessarily landscapes). I have both the S1 and S1R, plus a number of the S Pro lenses. I have been very happy with them. I prefer the slightly larger body size of the Panasonic S1/S1R. I have also always liked the Panasonic menu structures and physical controls (I've used both Panasonic and Olympus m43 cameras for many years).
Due to the experiences shared in this thread regarding Canon EF lenses I went for a Fuji GFX50r instead. I thought it would have been too much to invest in a new camera system including lenses. Which happened now with the GFX anyways as I went for a full set of Pentax 645 lenses :)

bensonga

I’m sure you are enjoying the GFX 50R. I picked up a used one about a year ago and have mostly used it with my Pentax 645, Pentax 67, Mamiya 645 and Hasselblad V lenses. The Fuji GFX cameras are an excellent platform for using legacy medium format film lenses. Many of the Pentax MF lenses in particular are a terrific bargain.

anyone

It’s a great camera indeed. Which lenses are your favourites? Mine: Pentax 645 35, 75, 150; Mamiya 200 2.8, but also the Canon EF200mm 2.8 II is great :)

Which Pentax 67 lenses are you using?

bensonga

I’ve mostly used Mamiya 645 and Hasselblad V lenses on the 50R thus far. The only native GFX lens I have is the 35-70 which came with the camera. I bought GFX lens adapters for the Pentax 645, Mamiya 645 and Hasselblad V. The Pentax 67 lenses can be adapted to the GFX by first attaching a Pentax 645 adapter to the P67 lenses, but since I have both the Pentax 645D and 645Z, I primarily use the Pentax lenses on those cameras. Two of my favorite P67 lenses are the 105mm f2.4 (not surprising) and the 75mm f2.8 AL. I’ve used both my Mamiya 645 80 and 120 macro lenses and the 50mm Shift lens on the GFX. I like to shoot interesting buildings, so it’s nice to be able to use this shift lens on a mirrorless medium format body, although it would be nice to have a wider focal length T/S lens. Maybe I should get an adapter for Canon EF lenses also, since I have the Canon 24mm TS-E II L lens, although I’m not sure how well it would over the GFX sensor when shifted. I bet the Mamiya 200/2.8 is excellent on the GFX. I have that lens too, so will need to pull it out. I love putting the older manual focus medium format lenses to good use on a digital camera and the mirrorless GFX makes that very easy.

Last edited:

anyone

You have some excellent glass in your drawer. Can imagine that the 75mm 2.8 AL is superb! I also own the 50mm shift, I'll need to try it out. Concerning 24mm lenses, I use the cheap Samyang 24mm TS lens. It has quite bad ergonomics, but the image quality is surprisingly nice at f11. If you go down the EF route, I use the fringer adapter and it works beautifully with all of my lenses.