The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New issues with the Z8

jduncan

Hi,
It seems Nikon is having more problems with the Z8 : https://nikonrumors.com/2023/07/17/several-nikon-z8-owners-report-separated-broken-strap-lugs.aspx/
As I stated before, I hope it does not turn into a D600, a camera that gives Nikon massive momentum just to destroy it a few months later.
They did make a mistake going with the composite body, it is cheaper and lighter than an Aluminum magnesium alloy and far lighter than the AL they used on the Z9, but it's new for them. I was surprised because normally you don't want to add any new technology to a critical (for the company's survival) product if it's not part of the definition of it. It could be that marketing had its way or many it's Japanese culture. In engineering firms I am used to working with, people who just speak their minds. Risk management will be in the CEO's face, if needed, to make sure everybody understands we don't agree.

For me, it means I will not order the camera this December. I need to be sure I am not buying a D600. A great plus for Nikon: this time they are not hiding anything, they are on top of the defects.

Best regards

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

They did make a mistake going with the composite body, it is cheaper and lighter than an Aluminum lithium alloy and far lighter than the AL they used on the Z9, but it's new for them.
Do you mean magnesium alloy?

A great plus for Nikon: this time they are not hiding anything, they are on top of the defects.
Has Nikon issued a service advisory for the strap lugs, or were you referring to NikonRumors reporting on the problem?

jduncan

Do you mean magnesium alloy?

Yes I mean Magnesium Alloy, too much rocket technology Al-Li alloys are used by the aerospace industry. I will correct thanks.

Has Nikon issued a service advisory for the strap lugs, or were you referring to NikonRumors reporting on the problem?

jduncan

This a massive improvement by Nikon from the D600 days when they decided to just look the other way, they basically never admitted it before they released the D610.

Nowadays it's fast: verify, react be on top of the conversation.
I still believe they should have gone with Magnesium Alloy because the Z8 will make or break Nikon, and the window they have to get a little bit of market share is reduced: economic crisis and Canon and Sony should be coming with new technologies the next year.

For Nikon lovers, like myself, the Z8 is more than good enough. I still planning to wait for the dust the settle, and target December or January to buy the camera, just to be safe.

I am glad to see Nikon improving in terms of communication and protecting clients.

Best regards,

jduncan

No drama for me my pair of Z8 were both “fixed” within 1 week. No issues with either but they used a part in the repair.
Sounds great. I am concerned, but at the same time very happy that they are taking care of the issues and staying on top of the narrative.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Best regards,