The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica film camera

anyone

There is a photography trade fair happening this week in Germany. It would be a good time to announce a new camera… maybe we‘ll know soon?

Godfrey

I presume "analogue camera" means "film camera".. ;)

As time goes on, I tend to prefer film cameras that are 100% mechanical, without a meter. Less to go wrong, and I have a selection of light meters... The current M-A is effectively what I have in the M4-2, modulo some minor differences in the viewfinder frame lines. I'd buy an M-A if it was a more reasonably priced than $5600, for the joy of having a new camera with a warranty, etc. Of course, it's a tough thing to say what price would entice me to go for it, since my M4-2 including a service was a total of $820 and does exactly the same thing. (The M4-2 needs another service for the shutter now (I've had it 12 years, the shutter is now showing some wear and is getting slow at the top speeds), but even that will bring the total price to under $1600.)

G

JoelM

Well, considering that they are only releasing 500 units, I imagine that they'll be hard to come by, though I will try.

algrove

Perhaps price less than an current MP because there is no exposure meter inside. Wrong LR says it has the MP meter inside.

Last edited:

anyone

Well, considering that they are only releasing 500 units, I imagine that they'll be hard to come by, though I will try.
I missed the press release - could you point me to it? Thank you!

Edit: found the news on Leicarumors:

A limited edition at premium price is not for me. And with its limited availability I guess it won‘t have a big impact on used cameras either. Pity!

algrove

I missed the press release - could you point me to it? Thank you!

Edit: found the news on Leicarumors:

A limited edition at premium price is not for me. And with its limited availability I guess it won‘t have a big impact on used cameras either. Pity!
Is $4800-5000 a premium price I ask?

anyone

Now the M6 is out:

More or less the same price as the M-A. More a collectible…

Godfrey

I'd buy an M-A instead as I'd rather do without a meter in the camera. It's just another battery to maintain... ;)
G

anyone

Since the meter is not really important to me, a M4-P or so might be the better choice. I don’t think the Canadian Engineers and workers are any worse to the Germans:) Of course, age and condition matters.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To me, the M6 is the camera that defines "camera" as a modern functional object. The shape, the functionality and the built-in meter, helping noobs like myself to frame correctly exposed images of things of interest... if I could afford one. Like most, the vast majority of my photos has been taken with bulky, oddly shaped SLR-like devices of varying quality. Still, if you ask me to draw a camera, the M6 is what I would draw. And the camera that never leaves my side these days, and for several years now, is one of two Panasonic GX8 bodies, a camera that, in spite of its electronic ways and lack of a proper rangefinder, in no way tries to hide what inspired its boxy shape.

Kudos to Leica for re-launching this beautiful camera. It's quite a statement, a statement of love of photography.

Paul Spinnler

The significance of this can hardly be overstated. Leica is paving the way for the analogue community and I think this will give the film wave even more momentum. Seriously considering it. It will last 20 years or more - a good investment. The writing is on the wall: long live film and thank god Kodak is still around. Only thing missing is Kodachrome!

Last edited:

anyone

The significance of this can hardly be overstated. Leica is paving the way for the analogue community and I think this will give the film wave even more momentum. Seriously considering it. It will last 20 years or more - a good investment. The writing is on the wall: long live film and thank god Kodak is still around. Only thing missing is Kodachrome!
You got a point there. Film cameras age with style, what one cannot always say about digital cameras.

As for the film trend, I think Lomography fuels the film demand at least as much as Leica :) Which I’m happy about. It looked really sinister a few years back.

dave.gt

Speaking of Kodak…:) long live Kodak!

This past year I have become enamored with black and white film more than ever in previous years (actually, decades).:) dozens of rolls of film later, I have found my two favorite films: Kodak TMax 100 and Fuji Acros II 100 and I have them matched with the developer I prefer for each film.

While my love affair with the Leica S 006 continues with color, 135 film allows me to experiment with various films and Kodak certainly has interesting films to use. It is like having a different “sensor “ in some respects and I can tailor my results based on my preferences. Kodak has re-fueled and energized my interest in film photography at just the right time! I love the process of shooting and developing black and white film myself. It is a true craft for me now, and I love it.

(Note: if I could afford just to replace my M3, or an M2, I would do it in a second. And I can only dream of another M6, or preferably a black paint MP… LOL… As the years go by, I can see a time in the future, when I will simplify everything and return to a basic kit: one camera, one lens, and I will be delighted with it while the complications of life around me increase greatly).

Paul has a great point for film photography in general, regarding Leica’s offering a “new” M6. I don’t understand why or how, actually, when they can’t even produce enough of the current MP cameras. Leica is mysteriously quiet about so many things. But this is great! :)

I cheer this new offering from the sidelines!
It will be a fantastic experience for many, but please, those of you who actually purchase a new M6, shoot lots of film and post your results here on this forum for all of us to enjoy.:):):)

Thank you in advance for sharing!:)