The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New lenses from Nikon

jduncan

Today Nikon introduced the Nikkor Z 70-180mm f/2.8 and the Nikkor Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR
at very good prices US$ 1247 and $1696 respectively.
The 70-180mm is probably a Tamron but with Nikon firmware.

Nikon's line of telephoto lenses is just fantastic, I will say it's the most interesting in the mirrorless market.

Best regards,

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Apparently the 180-600 doesn't extend, which is great. I had the 200-500 in F-mount, and although it was increadible value and a very sharp lens, it was kind of plasticy, and it extended a lot, making it inconvenient to maneuver in tight spaces.

Last edited:

jduncan

Apparently the 200-600 doesn't extend, which is great. I had the 200-500 in F-mount, and although it was increadible value and a very sharp lens, it was kind of plasticy, and it extended a lot, making it inconvenient to maneuver in tight spaces.
Yes, it does not, and even better, the focus trow is short.
Best regards,

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The beauty behind the new lenses is that you can get 2.8/70-180 plus 180-600 and if you add the 17-28 and the 28-75 you can easily get a very attractive lens quartets for a very reasonable price, covering almost all of the focal lengths I ever would need and even with 2.8 aperture between 17 and 180.

Might add that 70-180 and 180-600 with the Z8 to my arsenal one day :)

Swissblad

Great news indeed - the 180-600mm looks like it's a terrific bargain - ideal partner for a Z8 ;)

Good to see Nikon producing some nice gear again - way to go!

Swissblad

The beauty behind the new lenses is that you can get 2.8/70-180 plus 180-600 and if you add the 17-28 and the 28-75 you can easily get a very attractive lens quartets for a very reasonable price, covering almost all of the focal lengths I ever would need and even with 2.8 aperture between 17 and 180.

Might add that 70-180 and 180-600 with the Z8 to my arsenal one day :)
One really has to thank Tamron for pushing the envelope here - all three 2.8 lenses being from their stable - and starting off the trend for mega tele-zooms with their initial 150-600mm release.