The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old lenses: Canon 28-80mm 2.8-4 L

anyone

Hi there,

I know this is a weird question for a higher-end forum like this, but I'll give it a try.

For my Canon lens kit, I'm thinking of replacing my Canon EF 24- 105mm L 4 IS (first generation). I don't like the performance of the lens, but I'm also not willing to spend the extra cash to go for the EF 24-70mm 2.8 L II. I do not use zooms often, but I own a 80-200mm 2.8 L which has a very pleasant rendering. From the same generation of lens designs, the vintage 28-80mm 2.8 - 4 L exists, and I wonder whether it's worth a try?

Does anyone have experience with it? Or is it a waste of money, and I should look into the newer options instead?

Thank you!

sj2w1

I’ve never used the 28-80 2.8-4, though if the price was right it may be worth a shot. Though if you’re not happy with the 24-105, I don’t think you would be overly happy with a 28-80. That depends on what you want a replacement lens to do that you’re current lens is lacking.
I can say that if you can pull enough together a 24-70 2.8 is a good lens. I used my copy to death, the only thing I didn’t like was how easy it was to dent the objective ring. I learned the hard way to leave the lens hood on after dinging mine. If at all possible wait, and find a 24-70 2.8 II because it is very much better than the past versions, I wish I had picked one up when they first came out.

anyone

Thank you! Well... I guessed it. Vintage wide angles are seldom very good. My 24-105mm is especially weak at 24mm, so I should probably skip all the vintage glass and go for the 24-70 2.8 II instead.

Abstraction

Thank you! Well... I guessed it. Vintage wide angles are seldom very good. My 24-105mm is especially weak at 24mm, so I should probably skip all the vintage glass and go for the 24-70 2.8 II instead.
You might also consider the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 It's better than the Canon 24-105 and it won't break the bank

Andrea Manuti

IMHO, it's an interesting lens, if you like an old style glass. Quite heavy when compared to the 24-105, but same as the RF 24-70 f/2.8 (weight, not performance!). I took it for a late afternoon/night session in the Vatican City, and had a lot of fun using it. Colors are right, bokeh is pleasant to my taste, resolution is enough. Here some examples. Tell me what you think, I'd go for it (actually, I did!)
2020VRoma8.jpg
2020VRoma11_rr.jpg2020Roma8_rr.jpg2020Roma12_rr.jpg2020VRoma3_rr.jpg2020Roma16_rr.jpg2020VRoma8_rr.jpg2020Roma10_rr.jpg2020Roma19_rr.jpg2020Roma14_rr.jpg