The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 50mm f/1.8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I stumbled over this great review of the new Panasonic 50mm, great not only because it gets a good review, but because the reviewer shows some very nice images, mainly portraits, taken with the lens.

On my shopping list together with the S5, 20-60 and 70-300mm.

iiiNelson

Yeah it’s a good alternative if one can’t afford the S Pro. Kinda wish the 35/1.8 was released first though. Panasonic really needs to push out an updated roadmap with expected timelines sooner rather than later. The 35mm is a focal length that doesn’t have an option from Panasonic yet unfortunately. There are a few options from Sigma (that I’m not super interested in personally) and a couple from Leica that come and go in availability.

The rest of my lens budget for the year is tied up into a preordered PL-mount cinema lens set (Dulens 31-43-58-85 all f/2 or t/2.4 in this case) that’s being delivered this fall so those are the only lenses I’ll be purchasing this year more than likely. If you get a S5 I’ll be happy to look at the images you get though. I’ll probably still get the50 S Pro if I buy any L-mount lenses anytime soon… well it’s the one on my lens buying roadmap. The Cinema lens set just skipped ahead of the 50mm S Pro due to availability and opportunity to get onto the pre-order list that‘s not going to open back up for many months. So I’m fortunate in that respect.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I had never heard about Dulens before, but if they are all as good as the 58mm shown in the below link, that's very interesting.

Do you know where I can find more information?

iiiNelson

Yeah they have a very active Facebook group. It’s a newer company started by the lens designer that designed the Kinefinity Mavo LF Cinema Prime lenses. They have a close working relationship with Kinefinity which is how I came by them while researching the Mavo LF/Mavo Edge cinema cameras.

They have a lot more images, videos, and lens comparisons done with the Kinefinity Mavo Edge on Vimeo and YouTube if you search for the Gafpa Gear or Kinefinity Europe pages. The 43mm design was just finalized within the last few weeks so they’re assembling those now to ship out. The 58 and 85 are done already I believe with the 31 scheduled to be finalized and completed in the Fall of 2021. The nice thing about them is that they’re supposed to be APO designated and are small for FF/LF Cine lenses. They also are researching anamorphic adapters to attach to the front of the lenses as well down the line. Interesting company for sure and nice to see lenses that aren’t just going for the clinically sharp look.