The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Protection for IQ4 backs (rubber band, screen protector, etc.)

Paul Spinnler

Hi guys

Do you know where I can buy an LCD protector film for an IQ4 back? Mine fell off ...

Also, Dave, I think you have a nice blue rubber band around the edges – where did you get that one from?

Thanks
P.

jng

I use screen protectors from Lexerd. Thye provide good protection and touch sensitivity. You can use any of the ones made for IQ backs. They are sold under a different brand as well but at the moment I can't recall the name.

Those blue (silicone?) bands are basically themed wrist bands (remember the yellow ones everyone used to wear?) that were party favors from past CI workshops run by @kdphotography and @Don Libby. I think it was @GrahamWelland who started using these as back protectors? Perhaps @Steve Hendrix still has a few lying around...

John

Paul Spinnler

Thanks for the pointer on the LCD protectors!

I wonder how these bands look like in real life up close in terms of width ...

Mexecutioner

They used to have them on Amazon, but now you can buy direct:

The IQ3 one is the ones I got for the IQ4. I just saw they now offer and anti-glare one, which i haven't tried.

Last edited:

jng

I tried the anti-glare version. It works as advertised but I prefer the clear version as I felt the image was a bit crisper. I think it's a matter of personal preference so YMMV, of course.

I also found that the IQ1/2/3 screen protector nicely covers the rear LCD on the Hasselblad X2D, which is quite convenient.

John

jng

That look s good, not sure if the IQ4 screen is the same size though. They only seem to have one model
I don't think the rear screen interface has changed since the IQ backs were introduced (and hence the myriad complaints about the obsolete low resolution rear LCD). In any case, the IQ1/2 screen protectors I use from Lexerd fit my IQ4 just as they did with my older IQ160, so one can extrapolate from there.

John

docholliday

I prefer screen protection glass instead of film. Not quite cheap, but I have ordered GRAMAS Extra Gorilla Glass for Phase One IQ1/IQ2 on eBay for my IQ250:

View attachment 202285
Those are waay too expensive for a piece of glass. I too prefer all glass protectors for my backs, but I won't pay that for a micro piece of Gorilla Glass. The other issue I've had with thicker GG is that the corners sometimes will get a small air bubble and lift by a mm or so due to flex or non linearity.

The ones I prefer are the Brotect AirGlass ones. Thinner, sticks perfectly, and much cheaper. I order them from the EU and have them shipped to the US a half dozen pieces at a time so I can keep spares around in case of scratching or breaking one (which I've done on shoots).

https://www.protectionfilms24.com/a...s-screen-protectorphaseone-iq260-2709876.html

Hasslebad

Those are waay too expensive for a piece of glass. I too prefer all glass protectors for my backs, but I won't pay that for a micro piece of Gorilla Glass. The other issue I've had with thicker GG is that the corners sometimes will get a small air bubble and lift by a mm or so due to flex or non linearity.

The ones I prefer are the Brotect AirGlass ones. Thinner, sticks perfectly, and much cheaper. I order them from the EU and have them shipped to the US a half dozen pieces at a time so I can keep spares around in case of scratching or breaking one (which I've done on shoots).

https://www.protectionfilms24.com/a...s-screen-protectorphaseone-iq260-2709876.html
How do you order the Brotect Airglass to the US? The Protection Films site says they don’t deliver to the US.

docholliday

How do you order the Brotect Airglass to the US? The Protection Films site says they don’t deliver to the US.
That's weird. Must be a new thing. It's been about a year since I ordered last from them. I'd ordered a big batch, so I haven't had to reorder yet.

Try ScreenShield - they seem to carry Brotect and ship to us in the US. Price looks higher, but the thinness of the glass is worth it over any film or thick glass option.
https://screenshield.us/products/brotect-airglass-glass-screen-protector-for-phaseone-iq260