The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quarantine Pictures * Any Format *

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Zone System Dreamin'

All the leaves are Zone III
And the sky's Zone VIII
I am taking cat pics
It seems my fate.
He can sleep untroubled.
We're putting on some weight.

Sorry,

Matt

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Zone System Dreamin'

All the leaves are Zone III
And the sky's Zone VIII
I am taking cat pics
It seems my fate.
He can sleep untroubled.
He's lying on the couch.

Sorry,

Matt
That's a good cat photo, and coming from me, that says a lot. It would have been a great cat photo had it been on film. Don't you have some Verichrome Pan stored somewhere...? I believe that was what I used for cat photos some 50+ years ago :toocool:

MGrayson

That's a good cat photo, and coming from me, that says a lot. It would have been a great cat photo had it been on film. Don't you have some Verichrome Pan stored somewhere...? I believe that was what I used for cat photos some 50+ years ago :toocool:
Horribly, that was taken, edited, and BW converted on an iPhone. My next camera-phone will be a Nokia snickers bar taped to an 8x10 Deardorff!

Shashin

Horribly, that was taken, edited, and BW converted on an iPhone.
There is (no) more to photography than meets the eye...

Camera gear is like great clothes: you can buy a great suit, but you spend most of your time in t-shirts and jeans.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There is (no) more to photography than meets the eye...

Camera gear is like great clothes: you can buy a great suit, but you spend most of your time in t-shirts and jeans.
For some reason, that made me think about a fragment of an interview with Vivienne Westwood I saw the other day:

https://twitter.com/bbcarchive/status/1247792544907288576

She comes to the jeans part at 1:56, but the whole segment is well worth listening to.

pegelli

There's this restaurant and pub (with a big outside terrace) in the woods nearby. It's located at a crossroad of several walking and bicycle routes and generally very busy. It's now closed and they're trying to hold on by selling take-out breakfast and barbeque packages. I hope they survive :shocked:

Sony A7Rii + AR Hexanon 40/1.8

Audii-Dudii

Virus or no virus, Miss Abby still insists upon taking me for a walk twice daily ... no exceptions!

For as long as I've lived in this area, there has usually been enough foot, paw, hoof, and bicycle traffic along this multi-use hiking / horse trail that weeds and grasses are rarely able to gain a foothold except along its outermost edges.

But thanks to the virus lockdown and a few rainy days earlier this spring, this has clearly changed over the past few weeks!

DIY modified, full-spectrum Samsung NX500 / Contax N 24-85/f3.5 / Hoya R72 / f5.6 and 1/640 @ ISO 100

darr

Chiaroscuro

Nikon F3T + Nikkor 50/1.2 + Tri-X (Pyrocat HD)

--

I shoot one or two rolls a year through my old Nikon F3. Just got my first roll in. :)
Not that I do not like shooting with it, I just enjoy shooting and processing 120 film more.
I always enjoy looking at the leaves on the many trees on my property.
That is what got me initially wanting to learn how to photograph; light streaming through leaves.

How about you, what got you wanting to be a photographer?
Portraits? Cars? Landscapes? etc.
I would enjoy reading about it.

Best,
Darr

Shashin

From another walk along the empty streets on Kansas City.

Fortunately, I am an American and so I don't get irony...

Shashin

Re: Chiaroscuro

Best,
Darr
Cars! Or trains. Planes were cool too. But then I was a 10-year old boy--girls would come later. ;)

I think I was drawn to photography as it allowed me to show other people what I found, what I saw (that, and I can't draw). It gave, and still does give, me a reason to explore the world. It was also neat. You could create images directly and get instant feedback on results. It just seemed like a perfect mix of magic and science.

pegelli

I started photography to document trains, buses and trams, mainly the older models before they would disappear and be replaced with more modern versions.
Then came landscape, architecture (old and new), nature and animals. Mixed in this was documenting my vacations.

Looking back this hasn't changed too much, only the ratio between the different subject has changed (less old transport, more other)
Only thing added in the last years is documenting soccer games of our son and dance performances of both daughters.

A typical case of "jack of all trades, master of none"

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Family update: My wife and I and our younger daughter are all working our way through the infection. My daughter and I lost our sense of smell, which is a better positive virus test than almost anything else. If you've never had anosmia, it's impossible to describe. Gorgonzola tastes like American cheese. Coffee smells and tastes "warm".

The good news is that (so far) we all have had mild cases. Nothing is certain, but we no longer have fevers, and the coughing is getting less frequent. Our elder daughter is so far unaffected. We're hoping she has an asymptomatic case so that she gains some immunity.

More pictures when I have something that isn't a cat :ROTFL:

Matt

Ok, a video of the "iPhone placed at the end of the keyboard" variety: here is the entire Bach/Busoni played a bit slower, but with not too many hiccups.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fggfdx6mtajh959/2020-04-02 17.06.48.mov?dl=0

If you want to hear how it SHOULD be done, look up Horowitz's recording from 1934. The title starts "Nun freut euch..." It's on youtube...
Glad things go bettter for you and your family Matt! And your piano playing is quiet virtuoso :eek:
Just saw one of my grandchildren for the first time in 6 weeks from 1 1/2 meter distance.

Here's a photo from yesterday's walk just outside Amsterdam. It looks like nature but is actually 50 meters away from the highway paralell on the left side.

MGrayson

Glad things go bettter for you and your family Matt! And your piano playing is quiet virtuoso :eek:
Just saw one of my grandchildren for the first time in 6 weeks from 1 1/2 meter distance.

Here's a photo from yesterday's walk just outside Amsterdam. It looks like nature but is actually 50 meters away from the highway paralell on the left side.

Michiel,

Thank you!

And it's wonderful to see your sense of color and composition in a different setting.

Matt

MGrayson

Nikon F3T + Nikkor 50/1.2 + Tri-X (Pyrocat HD)

--

I shoot one or two rolls a year through my old Nikon F3. Just got my first roll in. :)
Not that I do not like shooting with it, I just enjoy shooting and processing 120 film more.
I always enjoy looking at the leaves on the many trees on my property.
That is what got me initially wanting to learn how to photograph; light streaming through leaves.

Best,
Darr
Darr,

I've said it before, but it still amazes me how you erase the film/digital divide. There is no better example of "it's the photographer, not the camera, or even the medium."

Matt

Elderly

Best,
Darr
For me it started with CAMERAS :).

My late father was a pianist and in the late 1940s and 1950s did many concert tours in Germany and Switzerland
and always came back with interesting items such as Marklin model railway stuff (I still have it all), Swiss watches
(my brother and I still have a couple each), and cameras: Leica, Robot, Linhof, Minox, Jaeger-LeCoultre Compass, Rollei etc..

He was a truly HOPELESS photographer :eek: