The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions about Calumet cameras

Regarding the Calumet 4 x 5 monorail cameras, I know these are very common cameras and more suited to studio use due to their bulky size and weight. I actually checked one out in a second hand store once and had a go with some of the adjustments. I know that there is a CC-400 standard camera as well as a CC-402 wide angle version and a CC-401 telephoto version. Would it be possible to use wide lenses like the 75mm and 90mm on the CC-400 with recessed lens boards? Also, would it be possible to use short telephoto lenses on the CC-400 as well? Ive got a feeling that it would be easier to use short tele lenses on the CC-400 than wide angle lenses (even with a recessed lens board.) According to one online source, the CC-400 has a 50 cm rail and a 40cm bellows.

By the way, I'm impressed that the Intrepid 4 x 5 camera can accommodate both wide angle and telephoto lenses up to 300mm with just the one bellows. I know a 75mm lens has been used on the Intrepid with a recessed lens board. The Intrepid bellows extends from 7.5cm - 32cm.

And would the camera back on the Calumet be a fairly common type of back used on view cameras in general? I don't suppose it's an international back by any chance? Ive heard international backs can be used with a variety of roll film holders by different manufacturers. I would be hoping to add a 6 x 17 panoramic back to a view camera one day.

Last edited:

FromJapan

I have a CC-400 for sale, and while recessed boards can be used, they're not very easy to use. At the time the CC-400 was manufactured, the lenses used were small, like the Angulon 90mm 6.8.
The back on my camera is the bail back type, not an international back. Slide in type backs like the Calumet and Toyo can be used.

Let me know if you'd like to know more about my camera. It's only 18,000 JPY / ~$170, including worldwide shipping.

Kumar

dj may

I have Cambo monorail. I use recessed lens boards and bag bellows for wide angle lenses.