The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock HR Digaron - S 180 image circle

Steve Hendrix

I had a member ask about the image circle on the Rodenstock HR Digaron - S 180 image circle, so I am posting this here in case it might benefit someone else. This is with 20mm shift (left, right, top, bottom).

View attachment 198389

Hi Greg - is your 180 copy in short barrel (with a spacer on the rear of your WRS) or long barrel (spacer is part of the lens barrel)? For the short barrel version, you wouldn't see any of the edge of the image circle when shifted 20mm, even shifted 20mm horizontal + 20mm vertical.

** I may have mis-remembered this. Our 180 HR-S is out on an evaluation rental, wil be back this week, and I'll take another look. It should do at least 20mm horizontal, but I expect the successful addition of vertical shift is less than I recall.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

Greg Haag

Steve, I am not at my camera, it’s at the office, but this is what was on my invoice from y’all.

Cambo WTSA-180L Wide-TS 180HR Digaron-S Long Helical / Short Barrel + Spacer

dchew

Hi Greg,
Thank you very much for posting this. It looks like the image circle ends somewhere around 100 mm. The corner of the horizontal-only shifts begins to get the fringe effects. That’s ~ 102 mm. Is that your impression directly looking at the images?

Dave

ThdeDude

If I would know a brick wall here in South Florida I would photograph a series of photographs to see how the image circle of acceptable sharpness looks like.

ThdeDude

The transfer function, as published by Rodenstock for the 180mm Diagron-S, certainly looks rather straight and high to me.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 09.13.05.png

Last edited:

rdeloe

SK 180T is better than digaron-s 180mm at the edge of image circle. SK180T also cover 4X5 film.
Are you sure about the coverage? Schneider's technical data sheet says image circle of the APO-Digitar 180mm f/5.6 is 120mm. To cover 4x5 it would need to be 157mm. The Componon-S 180/5.6, which I think was the starting point for the Digitar version, easily covers 4x5 with its 205.9mm image circle.

I used a Componon-S 180/5.6 for a while. The MTF curves for the Digitar are better, but not leagues better. I haven't used a the Rodenstock but based on the MTF data for the Rodenstock I know which one I'd want.

Digitar.jpg
Componon.jpg

ThdeDude

Likely that Schneider's APO-Digitar 180mm is more comparable with Rodenstock's APO-Sironar Digital than with Rodenstock's APO-Sironar Digital HR (later renamed as Digaron-S).

Rodenstock 180mm.jpg

Greg Haag

Hi Greg,
Thank you very much for posting this. It looks like the image circle ends somewhere around 100 mm. The corner of the horizontal-only shifts begins to get the fringe effects. That’s ~ 102 mm. Is that your impression directly looking at the images?

Dave
Dave, I am not sure I understand the question, but let see if this helps. This is the horizontal shift only (middle row), I have added a vertical grid to see if that helps with your question.

Rodenstock 180 image circle-6.jpg

Alkibiades

Schneider apo digitar 180 and 210 mm based on the symmar-s mc 70 degree of image circle.
Both lenses even allows movements on 5x7 ich film.
Schneider guarate the super performance on the written image cicle, but physicly is much bigger. Symmar-s have same lensdesigh to componon-s but are mc and optimated for infinity where the componons are optimated for closer distance.

Paul Spinnler

The latest Rodenstock 138 might actually be a 138 and 180mm lens combined in the sense that it outresolves an old 180 design enough so that you can shoot the same distant elements and then uprezz the image and still have more detail. That would make the 138 the end-all tele.

One way to test this is to shoot a distant object with a 138 and 180 and then see wether one can discern small elements such as wires or say text with the 138 and then compare that to the 180. If the latter doesnt resolve these details you can actually end your tele journey with the 138 ...

I have heard from someone who tested this that the 138mm can function as a 180 replacement as it captures more fine detail than the 180 ... interesting if someone who owns both could test this ... I know not many if anyone will be able to comment on this.

ThdeDude

The latest Rodenstock 138 might actually be a 138 and 180mm lens combined in the sense that it outresolves an old 180 design enough so that you can shoot the same distant elements and then uprezz the image and still have more detail. That would make the 138 the end-all tele.
The 138mm could also combine the 90mm in the sense that stitching within the 138's large image circle could be a substitute for the 90mm.

With its floating design it is also a replacement for the Apo-Macro-Sironar digital 120mm.

For some, the 138mm could replace/substitute three lenses!

Paul Spinnler

I will receive a copy hopefully before end of year and will then report back - I have a 90 so can compare a bit ... I think the only point against it is that it is very big and very expensive ... but indeed, one could do a kit of 40, 70, 138 ...