The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

dave.gt

Oh, man, I was awakened last night by a Red Alert dangerous weather warning for today. What in the world is that? High winds for four days and dry conditions…🙁

It was extremely difficult to shoot anything in the garden yesterday as were the previous days. The 20 mph winds and whipping bushes never seemed to stop.

But I had my first full bloom on the Mr. Lincoln bush closest to the patio and I was determined to get something!

Leica S 0060
Vario 30-90mm:
Mr. Lincoln Rose Open by Leica S May 2023.jpeg

One must work with what one has, right? LOL… 😇

Last edited:

dave.gt

Well, the Sugar Moon hybrid tea rose is blooming like crazy with a delightful fragrance. Can’t keep up with every bloom, especially after today’s hail storm, but this one gives one a good idea of what they are. It’s a shame that most of the roses only last 3-5 days.

Leica 006
Vario 30-90mm:
Mondays Sugar Moon by Leica S May 2023.jpeg

dave.gt

The gift of Wonder, better than the pursuit of Happiness? Perhaps. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Even in asking that question, I “wonder” about a lot of things! There was an article online recently in news media, about the illusive pursuit of happiness. It was intriguing but far too in depth for me these days. Preferring simplicity, I look at the floral images that come from Linda’s Garden and I am struck by the simple beauty and power of flowers. People seem to be drawn to them.

I have never even been a “flower person”. But I see the beauty and I feel I must capture it in some way because they thrive despite the adversity of real life with harsh weather, disease, insects, heat, drought, poor gardening practices and neglect, and mistakes by the caretaker (me). For some reason, I have a need to honor the noble presence of these plants. They earned my respect!

However, the reason for my working with photographing flowers started with a single rose. In a vase. On a first date. As a gift of honor and respect to a beautiful person. A lovely, dear person whose name is on the garden gate, my bride of 52 years in a few weeks.

The beauty of the rose garden is in the backstory of our lives together; the wonder of natural beauty; the allure of flowers in a harsh world and the power of love.

Each day of each season, I learn more as life in the garden is revealed to me. I capture our roses as best I can in digital form or on film, and I share those images from the garden. In doing so, I always hope they bring a smile to others. We all need that, right? 🙂

And yet, I still wonder… there is that word again, “wonder”, … it is a gift in itself. It really is that simple.😃

Next time, I will share some secrets from the rose garden. As for now, I have a meeting waiting for me to arrive in the garden as the glorious morning sunlight reveals a little more to me.

dave.gt

Oh happy day!!! Have I ever said how much I enjoy the Leica S?😃😃😃

My backlog of processing Leica S images has finally reached over 100! Not bad for this time of year considering the cold weather we have had.

It will take awhile… so, in the meantime, surely there are other Leica S users who can post images, right?😂

Please share them with us!😃

dave.gt

Beautiful!!!

I have yet to shoot that particular flower! Not because I haven’t wanted to, it’s just difficult to find one without specifically making it a mission. Life gets in the way too often.

I love these colors. 😃😃😃

Photon42

Like the roses on your end, that flower (don't ask be about the name, too lazy to photo google it) just happens to be in my (poorly maintained mini) garden.

dave.gt

Echinacea… Purple Coneflower… I looked that up 🙂and vaguely remember a name like that from the last time I saw them at the local nursery. Long ago.

The cool thing is you have captured a poignant moment in the life of a flower… instead of a perfect image of a flower presentation at its peak, you have a perfect image of the stage of a flower’s life that embodies, I think, the essence of a world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. Wabi-sabi, if you will… your image has a deeper meaning and more of a nuanced beauty. Some people may still not understand that and that’s ok.😇 I love it.

Some time ago I embraced the world view of pretty much everything being “Imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" in nature.
It has its own beauty.👍👍👍

Last edited:

dave.gt

It is Mother’s Day here and as I await the first light of dawn, I long to be on location somewhere, anywhere, with the Leica S on my tripod, outfitted with ND filters, and my backpack nearby. Those early hours before Sunrise have been the most profound times, all of my life.

It has been a couple of years since I have even been to our neighborhood lake. It isn’t because something physical has changed … I was even able to go during the height of the pandemic. No, I am still able to carry my backpack, drive the SUV over to the lake, and repeat the same protocol that I have used many times before.

The difference is, I no longer need the isolation and solitude of being alone with my camera on a walk, or on an overlook in the mountains, or even on a beach waiting for sunrise. What I do need is the human contact, the experience of being alive with other humans capturing time in images that can be viewed and shared countless times.

While I covet the solitude and personal time in the rose garden throughout the day, there is something special about working alongside others on location exchanging thoughts, ideas, and learning from them.

Sometimes that first cup of coffee each morning is better enjoyed with others.

And so it is with the Leica S.

Yesterday I made the decision to put a visit to the old mill on my calendar. It is time to meet a friend on location with my bride. (Truth be known, she is my real mentor and always has been.😉 ) We will have a grand time shooting the historic mill, of course, but that human interaction, and sharing of a little time with a colleague while the world around us is full of chaos, will be good for the soul. The sound of the water spilling over the dam, and the light, the beautiful morning light diffused by the moisture in the air, are soothing sensory experiences just waiting for us.

But first, Mother’s Day. The Leica S will be set aside. And no images will be processed. Only the human experiences of visiting with family members as they share a few hours of a special day with us will be allowed.

There will be plenty of iPhone images from the grandchildren to enjoy later, complete with cheesey smiles and typical distorted images. Did I ever mention how much I detest iPhones for photography?😇

Tomorrow will find me working periodically, during the day, and into the late night processing many of hundreds of recent Leica S files. It will be a joy. But not today. Today is special!

Today is Mother’s Day.😁😁😁

Last edited:
Reactions: GMB

dave.gt

Life is hard.

…but I will get my revenge in the Fall. The S 006 is still working daily in the garden (just no time to process images), but for the first time since 2019, we plan to leave the house and visit our favorite place on Earth, our ancestral home if you will… we can’t wait!🤗

Leica S 006
Vario 30-90mm:
Cades Cove Lonely Tree 1 FINAL 20x30 Leica S November 2019.jpeg