The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S5II/x, the replacement for S5, S1, S1R and S1H?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The S5II/X is a very interesting camera, mainly aimed at hybrid stills/video shooters. Its features are way beyond anything at its price point, particularly the X version.

Here's Photo Joseph's take:

Gerald Undone:

Kai:

Richard Wong:

That blind man:

What is interesting is that most reviewers claim that it's "best value". For me, the question is if I'm going for this or wait until they introduce PDAF with MFT cameras. Or both.

iiiNelson

Not a replacement… an addition. They still plan to sell the S5 alongside the new model. They still plan to produce a revision to the S1 body. This is still the entry level/mid-tier camera aimed at hobbyists, content creators, vloggers, and indie creators.

scho

Not a replacement… an addition. They still plan to sell the S5 alongside the new model. They still plan to produce a revision to the S1 body. This is still the entry level/mid-tier camera aimed at hobbyists, content creators, vloggers, and indie creators.
Still waiting for that high res replacement. Perhaps there will be none and they are just going to level off their S line at 24 MP and focus on video.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Still waiting for that high res replacement. Perhaps there will be none and they are just going to level off their S line at 24 MP and focus on video.
With the results I currently get from MFT, one of the few arguments for changing to full frame would be more resolution. If Panasonic won't deliver that, I would have to look at other alternatives, and Panasonic would lose a customer. I can't be the only one thinking like this, or...?

iiiNelson

With the results I currently get from MFT, one of the few arguments for changing to full frame would be more resolution. If Panasonic won't deliver that, I would have to look at other alternatives, and Panasonic would lose a customer. I can't be the only one thinking like this, or...?
You’re not and I’m divesting from Panasonic bodies. If I weren’t solely interested in the flagship cameras I’d consider them but I feel like they’re racing to the bottom as a company. It’s like they make a flagship with exclusive feature at twice the price, then they firmware just about everything into the entry level bodies which kills resale value and purpose of the high end. The other issue for me is their redirected focus for the S line as a whole. They began it marketing to everyone as the professional mirrorless choice and somewhere along the way they decided that this wouldn’t be their focus any longer.

So for me, I’ll consider Leica L mount cameras going forward or maybe I’ll just go to the GFX for the high end color cameras for me. Panasonic just is no longer a viable option for my needs though. It’s a shame because I had high hopes for them but none headed decisions as a company are why they’re constantly struggling to gain market share despite making capable cameras.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You’re not and I’m divesting from Panasonic bodies. If I weren’t solely interested in the flagship cameras I’d consider them but I feel like they’re racing to the bottom as a company. It’s like they make a flagship with exclusive feature at twice the price, then they firmware just about everything into the entry level bodies which kills resale value and purpose of the high end. The other issue for me is their redirected focus for the S line as a whole. They began it marketing to everyone as the professional mirrorless choice and somewhere along the way they decided that this wouldn’t be their focus any longer.

So for me, I’ll consider Leica L mount cameras going forward or maybe I’ll just go to the GFX for the high end color cameras for me. Panasonic just is no longer a viable option for my needs though. It’s a shame because I had high hopes for them but none headed decisions as a company are why they’re constantly struggling to gain market share despite making capable cameras.
There's something strange going on with this. Panasonic's recent MFT offerings, the GH6 and the G9 II, plus probably a GH7 or GH6 II around the corner, are extremely advanced for their market niche. The S5 II and S5 II X are advanced cameras too, but they are lacking in many areas (resolution, card type, viewfinder... long list). There are rumours about an S1X replacing all the S1 models, maybe even within this year. Hopefully that will happen. It should be a camera as advanced as the Z9 and A9 II combined, plus a few layers of Panasonic's usual video features. In addition, it would have to compete with Canon's R1, apparently just around the corner. Canon has released some excellent cameras lately (I consider buying an R8 due to size, weight and video capabilities, but sitting on my hands for now), and I expect the R1 to be a powerhouse.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There's something strange going on with this. Panasonic's recent MFT offerings, the GH6 and the G9 II, plus probably a GH7 or GH6 II around the corner, are extremely advanced for their market niche. The S5 II and S5 II X are advanced cameras too, but they are lacking in many areas (resolution, card type, viewfinder... long list). There are rumours about an S1X replacing all the S1 models, maybe even within this year. Hopefully that will happen. It should be a camera as advanced as the Z9 and A9 II combined, plus a few layers of Panasonic's usual video features. In addition, it would have to compete with Canon's R1, apparently just around the corner. Canon has released some excellent cameras lately (I consider buying an R8 due to size, weight and video capabilities, but sitting on my hands for now), and I expect the R1 to be a powerhouse.
Interesting that you are looking for a Canon R8 ...
I recently became VERY interested in a Canon R6Mark2 because of its excellent features, AF, just enough resolution etc.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting that you are looking for a Canon R8 ...
I recently became VERY interested in a Canon R6Mark2 because of its excellent features, AF, just enough resolution etc.
The R8 has the same sensor and processor, so the same photography and video capabilities. It's lacking lots of the "mechanical" bits and pieces though. No IBIS, no second card slot, smaller battery etc. The sensor seems to be exceptional, and image quality is what I'm looking for, preferably in a small, no-nonsense package.

bensonga

I don't know why Panasonic would do that, but the availability of the current S1R here in the US (at least from B&H Photo) is not a good sign.

I won't be getting rid of any of my Panasonic S line kit (a S1 and S1R, four S lenses and a few Sigma L mount lenses), but I was hoping the line would grow, not shrink.

Gary

Panasonic S1R availability BH Photo 12-14-2023.jpg

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The rumour is that there is a new, upgraded version coming in 6-8 months. Time will show. Nikon has shown with the Z8/9 that there's a market for large camera bodies.