The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small Film Photography Problem

drevil

Staff member
Hey there,

something rare will happen today, i will shoot some film! *applause*

i want to shoot some 120 portra400 with my contax, but at the moment i have an ektar 100 loaded in the film back, the only one i have, with one shot taken so far.

here is the big question, can i simply use the contax function to wind the film to the end, load the film again, WIND IT AGAIN in the camera, so it gets into a state of not being used?
then use the portra, and when loading the ektar again, simply take one picture with the lens cap and i am good to finish the ektar normally?

yeah its a noob question, i wish i had a second filmback but i just never shoot film enough to justify it.

cheers

mirko

dave.gt

Sounds good to me. Never tried that with 120 film, only with 135 film. But the way you described it sounds right.

Good luck with it!!!😃😃😃

Shashin

With 120 film, it is only taped to the backing paper at the front end of the film roll. I not sure exactly what you want to try, but if you are winding it through the camera and then flipping the roll to wind it back, you might have film transport issues as the film is being pulled in a direction where the leading edge is not taped. If your back can wind it backwards onto the original spool, rather than the take-up spool, it would be possible. I have never heard of a medium-format camera being able to change the film winding direction to transport the film back onto the original spool.

I would just finish the roll with pictures of your cat or car and then load the film you want.

KC_2020

I have never heard of a medium-format camera being able to change the film winding direction to transport the film back onto the original spool.
The back is designed so that you can't wind it in the wrong direction.

drevil

Staff member
ok so i didnt have enough time to play with this experiment, just shot the ektar and a few protra400, maybe next time :p

MartinN

Film backs are for different films. You can have BW, Colneg, Chrome and immediately switch without a missed frame .
But I HAVE seen the alarming rising prices on film backs 😉. I was lucky to buy more backs than I need for Mamiya RZ.

Pieter 12

Seems to me you need to do this in a darkroom (all lights out!) or changing bag. Put in the dark slide, remove the back, then in the dark open the back and remove both spools and manually wind the film back as tightly as you can and tape the backing paper down. Don't forget to mark it as having one frame exposed and when you reload it, move it a bit beyond the line-up arrow so you won't have an overlap with the first already-exposed frame. Caveat: I have never done this with a Contax.