The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fujinon GF Tilt Shift Lenses Are Finally Here!

marc aurel

Thank you for posting, I had my TS-E 50 and 90 macro lenses listed for sale on FM and decided to withdraw them. Even though I don't use them a whole lot, your tests helped me realize that I would probably regret selling them. Fuji doesn't have a full line of TS lenses yet, but combining the Fuji 30mm and 110mm with the Canon 50mm and 90mm macros will give you a damn good set.
Yes, now we have a real setup for architecture in the GF system. For me it will be GF 30mm TS, TS-E 50mm L, TS-E 90mm L, and a Nikon PC-E 19mm for ultrawide.
The weakest spot in the lineup is now the ultrawide end. The Nikon PC-E 19mm via an electronic adapter is much better than the TS-E 17mm. But the Nikon has a lot of distortion which requires post processing work. But image quality is pretty good (although not as good as the TS-E 50mm).

So I hope that the new GF TS lenses sell so well, that Fuji continues with a shift lens around 21mm soon ;-)
And if the would add something in the 50mm ballpark, I would probably buy that too, just to get 15mm shift instead of the 12mm of the TS-E 50mm.

Last edited:

drevil

Staff member
The sample RAWs from dpreview are showing a high performer, although they dont have any extreme shifts to the left or right, but the standard view is very sharp

algrove

I saw a Fuji video in Japanese where one designer mentioned the 30 is designed like a 19mm, if I got it right. Did not understand that comment at all.

dchew

Lou, it might be because a horizontal shift +- 15 mm gives an image circle about 81mm. Compare that to the native 44x33 image circle at 55mm, and you get 55/81=0.68.
0.68 x the 30mm focal length is 20mm. Close to that 19mm comment.
Dave

peterm1

Anyone use the Canon 50mm TS-E adapted to X2D? I have the 17mm and 24mm II and they just don't perform well except in the center (so I only use them on my Sony A7RV), but I know the 50mm TS-E is a great performer generally. (That GFX100 II is one UGLY camera IMHO but now I am jealous of that new 30mm TS)...

drevil

Staff member
Anyone use the Canon 50mm TS-E adapted to X2D? I have the 17mm and 24mm II and they just don't perform well except in the center (so I only use them on my Sony A7RV), but I know the 50mm TS-E is a great performer generally. (That GFX100 II is one UGLY camera IMHO but now I am jealous of that new 30mm TS)...
one trick to use the 17TSE on a 44x33 sensor, is to focus on the edge of the image and then stop down to at least F11, this usually brings better results than to focus in the center

Last edited:

peterm1

one trick to use the 17TSE on a 44x33 sensor, is to focus on the edge of the image and then stop down to at least F11, this usually brings better results than to focus in the center
Thanks for the tip! Just tried it and there is an improvement (may be good enough in some situations).

diggles

The sample RAWs from dpreview are showing a high performer, although they dont have any extreme shifts to the left or right, but the standard view is very sharp
I changed the profile in the RAWs from dpreview from Provia to Reala Ace, I like the new profile. Similar to Provia, but the blues and reds are a bit less saturated.

kinglang

I find it especially noticeable with the ef11-24mm, that the f4 focuses very differently at the edges than in the center.

marc aurel

I wish these could be adapted for use on my X2D.
Yes, I can understand. First samples look outstanding. Sharp corners with full shift at f8. Crazy for such a wide lens. Lots of my collegues among architectural photographers switched to Fuji from Canon or Sony last year. Now after the announcment of the GF 30mm TS there is another rush. Hopefully Hasselblad will compete, but I am not sure. Seems that their traget group is a bit different.

hcubell

I think it is highly unlikely that Hasselblad will try to jump into the professional product/architectural photography market. I don't think they see that as part of their target market, and there are are a number of areas where they would be better off directing their resources.

Ai_Print

I think it is highly unlikely that Hasselblad will try to jump into the professional product/architectural photography market. I don't think they see that as part of their target market, and there are are a number of areas where they would be better off directing their resources.
That'd be a bummer, I find it essential for some landscapes and already employ that technique readily in other formats. That alone could cause me to "tilt" towards the Fuji MFD system.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

The X can easily be adapted with tech cam lenses via adapter on Alpa. In fact, it is a very nifty solution for X camera owners ... it is an interesting combo to use X2D, Alpa STC and world class Rodie glass. You can use 32 and up with the TC and 50 and up with the other Alpa cameras due to the grip of the X camera with some specific limitations:

IMHO it is an amazing solution if you can live with 32mm without shift or 40mm (40 CFE IF, V system) or 50mm (Rodie Digaron-W) upwards. Mamiya also has some interesting options with the 45mm to be had for 200 bucks, but I wouldn't know how good this is; I am sure though that it gives a few mm or rise.

32 with a TC is also great as you should have perfect sharpness at F4 and to capture tall building you can correct for the perspective in post if you tilt the lens a bit up to get the shot without in-body shift. Modern-day automated perspective control in C1 and generative fill for the edges and sky in Photoshop should solve perspective problems in practice.

With the 90 HR you can create huge high-res stitches.

Last edited:

tcdeveau

The X can easily be adapted with tech cam lenses via adapter on Alpa. In fact, it is a very nifty solution for X camera owners ... it is an interesting combo to use X2D, Alpa STC and world class Rodie glass. You can use 32 and up with the TC and 50 and up with the other Alpa cameras due to the grip of the X camera with some specific limitations:

IMHO it is an amazing solution if you can live with 32mm without shift or 40mm (40 CFE IF, V system) or 50mm (Rodie Digaron-W) upwards. Mamiya also has some interesting options with the 45mm to be had for 200 bucks, but I wouldn't know how good this is; I am sure though that it gives a few mm or rise.

32 with a TC is also great as you should have perfect sharpness at F4 and to capture tall building you can correct for the perspective in post if you tilt the lens a bit up to get the shot without in-body shift. Modern-day automated perspective control in C1 and generative fill for the edges and sky in Photoshop should solve perspective problems in practice.

With the 90 HR you can create huge high-res stitches.
Beating a dead horse with my forthcoming comment, but, if only theyd release a CFV100c back :)

I’m impressed with what they’ve done with the GFX system. I wasn’t expecting the 500mm announcement, that lens, plus TS lenses, fast lenses that don’t cost $4-5k, and subject tracking af will tick lots of boxes for lots of folks.