The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The GFX100 II - Q&A with Oscar Bakke

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
In the September issue of the Medium Format Magazine we asked an automotive and lifestyle photographer, Oskar Bakke, to share his thoughts about working with the Fujifilm GFX100II in the context of his specialization. His answers are accompanied by great images from his car photo assignment. It should give you an idea how the new camera behaves in a challenging working environment. Here are a few of his answers I would like to share with you (exclusively for the GETDPI.com)

What can you say about the camera’s image quality in the context of your own work?
My clients and I are obviously very picky about the image quality. I want to provide them with the best possible images and, in turn, they set high standards. In most projects an image needs to work in all types of crops for social reasons and banners but also be capable of filling a massive billboard. This means I often need to shoot wider than normal and resolution is a key aspect.

Which change, in your view, is the most significant in comparison to the original GFX100 and the GFX 100s?
In my view, the most significant change in the GFX100II, when compared to its predecessors, is the improved in-body image stabilization (IBIS) and AF. This feature has made me even more confident about shooting handheld and still being able to get crisp images in all situations. The 100s was not always adequate, so I had to have a full-frame body in the bag for higher actions. Now I doubt I’ll ever use it again.

Could you please comment on its autofocus?
The autofocus capabilities of the GFX100II have been a welcome addition. The speed, precision, and tracking of the autofocus system have made it much easier to capture fast-moving subjects such as cars in motion. It's particularly useful when I shoot rolling shots or other dynamic automotive scenes, where quick and accurate autofocus is essential to nail the shot.

Which feature do you find especially useful in your specialization?
As I tend to go more and more handheld, this body is just so much more capable. It’s a refined workhorse for all types of jobs. It has features you don’t think about until you pick it up, like the viewfinder, it’s amazing. I can’t wait to try out the pixel shift to get 400mp shots. It wasn’t available for my shoot because of my early firmware.

Image courtesy of Oskar Bakke

5-oskar-bakke-DSCF0472.jpg