The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking of selling 100S & GFX lenses for XT-5 and new XF lenses.

algrove

Some might consider this heresy, but smaller is better for me and I only print up to 17x22 anymore.

Comments welcome. Thanks.

Shashin

I might look at Andy Mumford's blog. He has been a big proponent of the Fuji X system, even over the GFX.

I really love my pair of XPro2s and Fuji's XT10 compact. I carry those with 4 lenses (14mm, 23mm, 50mm, and 70-300) in a Lowepro Flipside 200. The system is a prefect match for a smaller tripod too--a Gitzo 1545 Traveler in my case.

algrove

The many other aspects of a smaller/lighter system Mumford talks about are hidden pluses.

Yes the small F2 lenses are excellent. I am also wanting some lenses that produce great bokeh which might involve some f1.4 lenses. FF wise I mainly like 24/28, 35,50,90, but wide and long could have a need for too. The 55-140 is very popular. Just wonder if the 200 f2 is worth it even with a used lens since the long reach 150-600 easily covers that reach. I might be getting into portraiture more and street use where I like bokeh from time to time if used well.

Shashin

If you want long, then I might suggest the Fuji 70-300. It is very sharp and the OIS is really good. It is quite compact for the focal length range. I have not posted much with this lens, but that will change soon.

I really enjoy the XF 50mm f/2. It is a really compact lens and fast. I also like the field of view, being about 75mm with FF. With the 50mm f/2.

The XF14 is an older lens. Slow, but great optics.

The XF 23 f/2 is a very good all around lens and compact:

All handheld and with an XPro2.

biglouis

I did the same, although in my case I sold the 50R (I'd previously sold the 50S) plus GF lenses to concentrate all my funds on expanding the X system. To be fair, I've been involved in an ongoing project requiring reportage as well as architectural photography and G-system bodies/lenses could not cope with as well as the X system (e.g. AF too slow and/or no really good UWA solution for architecture).

At the pixel peeping level I really miss the very clean and sharp look of the GFX 50mpx sensor, over the 26mpx sensor in the X-T4 that I own. At the practical level, I could show you 30x20 prints I've done with the X-T4 and you'd be astonished at how good they are. That's not a surprise to me as any printer will tell you that megapixels aren't the be all and end all in printing.

Value for money was a consideration. GF lenses are for the most part horrifically expensive compared to equivalent focal lengths in the XF range. And, of course, there are some focal lengths at both ends of the range, as well as apertures, and zoom ranges that the GF lenses do not and probably never will cover.

The final deciding factor for me were actually two XF lenses: the XF80f2.8 macro and more importantly the XF50-140f2.8. Both lenses on my X-T3 and later X-T4 bodies, for all practical purposes, yielded superior looking images to the the GF120 and GF45-100 lenses I was using on my 50R body. And they were much more convenient to handle in real life situations. I know that may be hard to believe but I shot both side by side more than once in situations and came away delighted with the XF images and scratching my head as to why the GF images were either not as good or not so much better.

I can understand going for the X-T5. I've seen images from that camera which at the pixel-peeping level are every bit as eye-catching as the 50R (no idea about the 100S). In fact, I made a comment somewhere here in the Fuji thread about the company being in danger of eating its baby with the new 40mpx APS-C sensor..

If money were no object I'd have a GF system full of all the lenses but until I win the lottery, or I suddenly luck into some massively lucrative photography work, the value proposition of the X system is hard to beat, imho.

Just my two cents

LouisB

k-hawinkler

Good luck Lou with your new system.

From the very start I was impressed by the XF lenses and their technical aspects.
But I never got into them as I already had the Sony FF and APS-C systems.
I added the Fuji GFX 50S camera and many lenses later.
Still enjoy using that tremendously, including your GF63.

However my goto camera is the Sony A1, without any doubt the most technically advanced camera that I own.
Also as of late Sony’s GM lenses have been stellar.
For example the FE 35/1.4 GM and 50/1.2 GM, or even the FE 20/1.8 G.
All unbelievable sharp wide open.

Still considering adding the FE 135/1.8 GM, many consider Sony’s best overall lens.

k-hawinkler

Others are good..it’s just this lens is razor sharp with terrific contrast
Thank you stngoldberg, much appreciated feedback.
I think you just convinced me to get the GM 135.
It also can shoot 30 FPS on the A1, whereas the FE 90/2.8 Macro G OSS can only shoot 15 FPS.
The GM would come in handy for Hummingbirds in close proximity.
And of course as a portrait lens.

algrove

Thanks K-H

Loving the small XT-5 as it reminds me of my M bodies and it is AF. Had it in NYC last week and it worked great for my candid work. Using Iridient X Transformer to get dng files which I just prefer.

Also found a small third party 35 f0.95 lens (50 at FF equiv) which matches my Leica Noctilux for the M as fas as FL and f stop goes. Even with manual focus it is fun and performs quite well. No slouch. Love its bokeh.

Last edited: