The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thoughts on Q3 autofocus

akaru

As a former (and likely future) M shooter, I never understood the Leica Q. That is, until I had a kid and realized my manual focus skills are not as good as I thought (at least in low light). I tried the X2D with their newer lenses and found myself falling back on manual in many situations. The GFX fares much better, but I find it cumbersome to use.

Will the Q3 (or future Q3 mono) be good enough in AF for a toddler in low light, or do I just accept my fate?

I live too far away for a rental to be an option.

Knorp

In the short time I owned an Q3 and found its AF pretty fast.
But I have no experience with fast moving subjects in low light.
What about a Sony A1/A9 and f.i. an 1.4/50mm ?

akaru

Yeah that's probably the more practical solution. I find the GFX works pretty well, and is what I fall back to, but it's bulky and I just don't enjoy shooting with it. I suppose I'm just familiar with the Leica ecosystem and the comfort of manual focus on their lenses (assuming the Q lens is not focus-by-wire, which I just can't get comfortable with). The HB has been my favorite so far, but just a tad too slow for AF.

Paul Spinnler

Well don't forget the Leica Q3 monochrom which will come out at one point soon. :)

People love about the Q that it reduces everything to one excellent system – forcing you to work with it and master it. Q3M would force you to master 28mm, B&W.

Form factor facilitates constant training options when you go out. AF is another bonus freeing you to focus on composition and timing.

I think it is a dream camera for street if you work with it although the M11M is a bit more aspirational for me personally due to its iconic "M" look'n'feel and openness for lenses.

AF will help you with the kids topic, of course ...

This said, I hear from my local Leica store that the Q in general as a rather new product line is an absolute best-seller among the target demographic of well-off amateurs as it covers a lot of ground for prosumers as an every day and especially holiday camera.

Ie the camera to get if you don't want to think about gear and just focus and making nice memories.

Last edited:

akaru

Thanks, Paul. Q3M is definitely on the radar as it could come out later this year or early next, and I could swap my 90V for it. The extra light gathering would be great as long as the AF gets use from it, as I hear the low light AF performance is not as good as some would hope for. I'd prefer color for the kid shots, but if I can get sharp eyes in low light it's worth the trade-off. Would be a great walk-around/travel camera as well of course, but my main goal is something to capture the kid. MF MF is a challenge I could accept, but without any X shutter lenses (and the need for a shutter due to bad LED lighting in the house and a very fast kid) cocking the Copal and zone focusing is not cutting it. Maybe with a 40/50HR in X shutter, but again I could have the Q3 for less, and with a shutter button. Focus bracketing might be useful as well.

Paul Spinnler

Why not the SL3. Apo SL optics are amazing and the 28 SL is brilliant across the frame. The new SL3 is more compact too. Bonus: you can mount M glass for MF. Once the S4 drops in '25 you can repurpose SL glass and recoup 70% of the investment via forum / eBay sell-down. S4 will be an enlarged SL3, ie still compact. SL3 is bigger than Q - but with the new form factor it is really not THAAT much bigger. Its a great camera and the SL optics are Leica's best for 35mm.

akaru

Size and cost, and having never used one. Never used a Q, either, but assuming M look and feel.

Paul Spinnler

SL platform is great. I had it alongside the M10M and that was a perfect combo. M for B&W and SL for colour both with SL and in compact cases with M glass. SL manual focusing experience with M is top notch with automatic zoom to 100% when focusing manually (and jump back) - well thought out. SL AF glass is a bonus. Q mainly if you really want more compact and not fall into the M glass collection trap.

PeterA

Yeah that's probably the more practical solution. I find the GFX works pretty well, and is what I fall back to, but it's bulky and I just don't enjoy shooting with it. I suppose I'm just familiar with the Leica ecosystem and the comfort of manual focus on their lenses (assuming the Q lens is not focus-by-wire, which I just can't get comfortable with). The HB has been my favorite so far, but just a tad too slow for AF.
have switched out of Q2M but autofocus was fast and accurate - shotting M10M and dialing up ISO is a new experience for me - low light shooting is a breeze...but no IBIS so it is all about technique...

M10M @12500 ISO (50 Summicron)

r3-1.jpg

SL2 (50APO) - latest firmware for people shots has pretty much fixed facial and eye recognition for portraiture and normal speed movements - SL3 apparently is even better but not at SoNICanon levels SL2 with basic levels of proficiency makes snaps like these easy

r8-1.jpg

r4-1.jpg

X2D slower focusing - but slow is relative these days- using the XCD 90 as below with IOS @ 800

r7-1.jpg

r9-1.jpg
r10-1.jpg