The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What do we want to see in the next generation of digital backs and MF cameras?

sawww

That's the one. A full-frame 6x6 digital camera is the only upgrade I'd find worth spending money on at this point. 50 mpixel is enough, I'd like it in a CVF series back for my Hasselblad V system cameras. Then the switch between film and digital backs becomes easy and seamless. :)

G
I also find myself wanting different aspect ratio medium format cameras. Ideally a 6x6 and a 4x5 aspect ratio. Too bad it'll never happen anymore with an optical viewfinder, everything will be EVF by then.

Paul Spinnler

Yes it is amazing. Thanks to the X shutter I have no blurry images. To shoot you just lift it and compose via live view in front of you. Release by using your right thumb.

You can do walk around architecture with it; C1 easily correct perspective and distlertion.

Focus is easy: either at infinity or you quickly verify view it via live view while composing.

An EVF would make it perfect.

ian_T

View attachment 209958

it could be so easy – just a little EVF accessory to be mounted on the back ... so you don't need cabling. Pls. P1.

The TC has become my favorite camera as of late – compactness furthers opportunity to take pictures – so anything which improves that in the sense of an EVF would be killer.

Then you add the HPF rings and you can, via the little shift sticks, super easily focus with the middle fingers. Its really amazing for walkaround.

That is a RAD setup. Do you have any images posted that you've captured with this rig??

Paul Spinnler

I stopped posting as I got annoyed with the MF pictures thread due to the weird commentary around "brightness" by someone. I shoot primarily for myself, so no need to waste energy and discussing the high key look of an image if I decide to go for it.

This being said ... I have started to really love the TC – a key reason to go Alpa for me – because precisely the compactness creates opportunity. It is one thing to use a tripod, another to lug a TC around.

This is with the TC and 43XL. Even more compact, although you need to pay attention to wobble. My favorite combo now is the X shutter 40 HR and TC.

1707512052662.jpeg

I can recommend max reduction to a TC and a wide-angle, ideally with x shutter. Its amazing. Never had so much fun. If you shoot an IQ4 Achromatic its like having 2 Leica M11 Monos stitched together with a lens that's perfectly sharp edge to edge.

I also have the Factum – its not the same as the TC. TC is so compact, it changes your approach. With the Factum ... it is still unwiedly in a way, so I also think I can just as well take the Rm3Di which also has a grip.

TC you can put in a small protector and quickly take it out. Highly recommend Alpa just for this – its unique.

Last edited:

ian_T

super cool. Yeah I tried using my phase one XF as a walkaround a few times and it is not ideal : )

Paul Spinnler

With SK glass its even more compact. The 43XL on the TC ... what can I say. It is a go everywhere setup. And IQ4A starts at ISO 200, so this helps too!

buildbot

super cool. Yeah I tried using my phase one XF as a walkaround a few times and it is not ideal : )
I do this, but I am also a little crazy lol. Sometimes with a 210mm lens which gets…attention…
With SK glass its even more compact. The 43XL on the TC ... what can I say. It is a go everywhere setup. And IQ4A starts at ISO 200, so this helps too!
Love compact IQ setups! The TC inspired my own SWC style camera, using a Sinaron digital 45mm. It’s sadly not sharp edge to edge because I messed up somewhere and something is not planar! Which, I think, is a good add for Alpa machining and quality if you can afford it :)

tcdeveau

I think I saw that the new Olympus camera has a live digital graduated ND filter? And an ND filter? I’d appreciate that in a back

buildbot

I think I saw that the new Olympus camera has a live digital graduated ND filter? And an ND filter? I’d appreciate that in a back
Anyone know how this works? Is it an LCD? Similar to the Sinar LC shutter? Or the built in ND filters on RED cameras? Doesn’t that come with some quality impact?

daz7

It is nothing like Sinar's LC shutter for preview or real ND filter in the Red cameras - Olympus takes series of short shots, combining them electronically into something resembling a long shot with ND filters. I think it is their application of phase's frame averaging.
Also, their digital Grad ND filter is done in-camera by combining exposure gradually to the image circle. Quite smart and super handy to have but there are still scenes in which glass ND filters could not be replaced by frame averaging or gradual averaging effect.
Anyway, it is a nice feature to have in case you need it and dont have ND filters with you.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm a little late to the party here, but it would be an even more extended dynamic range for me. I love what the IQ4150 can do and don't need any more resolution. I want a tiltable rear LCD and a super-fast connection to an iPhone/iPad instead.

In many ways, I think we've plateaued outside of better connectivity.