The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wonder if XT-5 with M lenses better than PIXII camera with M lenses

algrove

Perhaps a strange request, but both are APS-C and both can use Leica M lenses. Anyone tried both with same M lenses?

algrove

PIXII Ok for those living in Europe, but for the US it seems they have no direct support of needed.

biglouis

A heretical response, perhaps but to be honest, if you are using a Fuji camera and you are NOT using one of the new f1.4 lenses (18mm, 23mm or 33mm) then you are missing out on lenses that are easily the equal of similar Leica designs. There was a reason Leica sub-contracted glass to Fuji, way back when. I speak as a one time and now lapsed Leica user.

SrMphoto

A heretical response, perhaps but to be honest, if you are using a Fuji camera and you are NOT using one of the new f1.4 lenses (18mm, 23mm or 33mm) then you are missing out on lenses that are easily the equal of similar Leica designs. There was a reason Leica sub-contracted glass to Fuji, way back when. I speak as a one time and now lapsed Leica user.
Which Leica lenses were subcontracted to Fuji?
I know that Fuji started producing lenses for the Hasselblad H system when they undercut the offer from Zeiss.

biglouis

Which Leica lenses were subcontracted to Fuji?
I know that Fuji started producing lenses for the Hasselblad H system when they undercut the offer from Zeiss.
As I understand it, from posts in the Leica forum, many years ago, several of the zoom lenses for the original SL cameras were subcontracted from Fuji. I can't remember which ones now and although I did some internet searching I can't find any reference. It could be I am misremembering but at the time I was surprised at the thought that Leica subcontracted lens manufacture, or even used other camera makers formulas.

Knorp

According to Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium: either Schneider, Zeiss or Minolta, but no Fuji.

SrMphoto

As I understand it, from posts in the Leica forum, many years ago, several of the zoom lenses for the original SL cameras were subcontracted from Fuji. I can't remember which ones now and although I did some internet searching I can't find any reference. It could be I am misremembering but at the time I was surprised at the thought that Leica subcontracted lens manufacture, or even used other camera makers formulas.
To my knowledge, all Leica SL lenses are manufactured in Germany (checked a couple of mines), except the new 24-70/2.8 which is made in Japan.

biglouis

To my knowledge, all Leica SL lenses are manufactured in Germany (checked a couple of mines), except the new 24-70/2.8 which is made in Japan.
I was referring to what I still consider the real SL camera, the original (1970s) Leicaflex SL and its successor the R.

LouisB

biglouis

According to Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium: either Schneider, Zeiss or Minolta, but no Fuji.
Puts is definitely the source for Leica lenses (sold my copy of his book when I finally left the Leica system) but I am sure I read in the Leica Forum many years ago references to Fuji made zoom lenses rebadged for Leica for the SL and R mount. I owned the Minolta M and Leica M equivalents at various times, especially the lovely 40mmf2 (which I actually adapted to my Sony A7R at one point) and 90mmf4 lenses. Used them with both my CL, M6/7 and later my M8 bodies. Never owned a SL or R body as they just did not appeal at all.