The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XT-5 Sounds right

algrove

I used to have and very much liked the XT-2 which was a small form factor AF camera with small lenses too. I am thinking that pairing the XT-5 with the new 56/1.2 could be about the perfect portrait lens combo. Cannot believe the XT-5 will be priced at the same $1699. as the XT-2 was priced many years ago.

Now with Topaz AI one can enlarge a cropped sensor image when needed for larger printing, say 17x22.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I used to have and very much liked the XT-2 which was a small form factor AF camera with small lenses too. I am thinking that pairing the XT-5 with the new 56/1.2 could be about the perfect portrait lens combo. Cannot believe the XT-5 will be priced at the same $1699. as the XT-2 was priced many years ago.

Now with Topaz AI one can enlarge a cropped sensor image when needed for larger printing, say 17x22.
That sensor would print at 17x25 st 300dpi right out of the camera. A little High Pass sharpening in PS and Bob's your Uncle.

I confess that I'm getting less and less enchanted with Topaz's offerings. The technology now exists to take a phone image (or a sketch - or a description) and ask the AI to turn it into a "good" picture. I also used a slide rule until college. Harumph! :unsure:

algrove

I mainly mentioned Topaz AI (thinking AI Gigapixel) since I find myself cropping images and on occasion in an extreme way.

MGrayson

I also meant gigapixel. It used to be very good at fine lines. Now it has other ideas. The problem with “AI” is that you no longer have the slightest idea what it is doing. The results can be astounding, but there is no way to anticipate what effect it will have.

Many photo processing tools have historical algorithms in a drop-down menu. I wish Topaz did this.

biglouis

I assume you mean 17x22 inches, and not centimetres?

I regularly print at 24x16 inches and even 30x20 with the X-T3 and X-T4 and I don't have any problems with image quality. Even frames at iso12800. I now use DxO PureRAW2 but before I would use TopazAI Denoise/Sharpen if I felt the image needed additional post processing for noise or sharpness.

I'm not saying the X-T5 won't be an awesome camera and at some point I will probably get one, just that you can already print at those sizes with the existing sensors, in my experience.

Actually, I also print at 24x16 inches with my Ricoh GRIII and in some cases, especially a couple of times when I've shot the X-T3 and GRIII side by side (not done it with the X-T4 as it is the same sensor as the X-T3), I've got better printed results with the Ricoh.

Now, you got me thinking. A Ricoh GRIV with a 40mpx sensor! Awesome!

Just my two cents.

LouisB

algrove

Years ago I was interested in getting a 24" printer, but scrapped the idea after realizing I have boxes upon boxes of 17x22" and 13x19" prints still not displayed. That is why I have stuck with a 17" printer.

What does one do with large prints not sold or displayed outside the home? I am not a pro.

Our wall space is all taken. Do not say buy a larger home as we already down sized.

MGrayson

Years ago I was interested in getting a 24" printer, but scrapped the idea after realizing I have boxes upon boxes of 17x22" and 13x19" prints still not displayed. That is why I have stuck with a 17" printer.

What does one do with large prints not sold or displayed outside the home? I am not a pro.

Our wall space is all taken. Do not say buy a larger home as we already down sized.
I'm "lucky". I moved into a new apartment with nothing to hang on the walls but a dozen large (20"x30" minimum) framed prints of my stuff. It feels like a Twilight Zone episode.

algrove

The new XT-5 ad is terrific.

It reminds me of Leica putting video in the M-240 to find out most did not want any video in an M, even after some study groups indicated video was important to have in an M.

biglouis

Looking at the camera reviews and reading the features, well done Fuji.
I wonder how many other manufacturers in this day and age (other than Leica) would produce a camera so obviously aimed at photographers? It still has a strong video capability for most enthusiast use (I think I've taken some video less than five times with my XT4 and never so far with the X-H2S). But the main thing is putting back in all the features I liked about the X-T3 but with a unique sensor.
Not ready to get one but when the time comes, despite the fact that my 'head' say X-H2 I think my 'heart' will win out with the X-T5.

LouisB

Rand47

. . .
Not ready to get one but when the time comes, despite the fact that my 'head' say X-H2 I think my 'heart' will win out with the X-T5.

LouisB
I was thinking the same thing. Until . . . I watched the Summit yesterday. 3 way tilt LCD, “check.” 40 MP sensor, “check.” Full Fuji traditional controls, “check.” Lower EVF resolution and refresh rate, “un-check.” No option for vertical grip, “un-check.” No remote release port on the “proper” side of the camera, but rather on the left side to be blocked by L-plate, “un-check.” For me, these items that are “wrong / missing” in my actual day to day happiness in handling trumped my desire for the return of the 3 way tilt LCD. My H2 arrives from B&H tomorrow.

Rand

Elderly

I am thinking that either the X-T5 or the XH-2 could pull me away from micro 4/3rds for my travel outfit.
However, Fuji by offering me a choice means that I have to make a decision, and I hate making decisions :confused:.

Being of a certain age I really do like the *idea* of analogue controls, but I’m going to wait until I can compare both cameras in the hand;
I’m a little concerned about the smaller grip of the XT-5, and I want to see if there’s a marked difference to my eyes between their viewfinders.

JaapD

I understand. To me the EVF resolution is something that pleases the eye but does not contribute to the picture quality in the end.

Regarding XT5 vs X-H2, I’m a big fan of all those separate buttons and wheels but taking the camera out of my bag resulted in numerous occasions of buttons being in the wrong position, especially the S C M button and the exposure correction wheel. Because of this I’ll prefer the X-H2.

Cheers,
Jaap.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I always liked the X-H1 and preferred that over the X-T line cameras.

Having said that -because the X-T5 seems such a perfect and high quality bundle in such a small package and fortunately without that battery grip that seldomly worked without issues on my X-T2, I think I would go the X-T5 route should I jump back into Fujifilm.

I actually might want to add this camera with a few selected lenses to my Nikon kit in order to have a small but powerful addition for travel and whenever I need it.

algrove

I used to love the 56/1.2 and the 16/1.4, but used the 23/2 and 35/2 a lot too.

Ken -are you still a Leica Monochrom shooter?