The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

scho

Just testing my Pentax 645-A lenses in the Kipon Tilt Shift adapter on the GFX 100s. Sample shot below taken through a window with the Pentax 645-A 35/3.5 at f/11 and 2 degrees of tilt and slight rise for framing. Good sharpness from near foreground to distant houses and trees. Much better construction and ergonomics compared to the Fotodiox adapter.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, this is odd - Got the Pentax 645 A 35/3.5, got the Kipon Hassy X T/S adapter. Shot at f/11 and ...

Never seen THAT distortion before. ES artifact? Pincushion distortion of a kind never before seen on Earth? :unsure:

I like the way the Pentax 645 A lenses render. I'm just not sure I'll ever get a good wide shift out of them. The 75 and 150 are great.

Matt

Last edited:

rdeloe

Well, this is odd - Got the Pentax 645 A 35/3.5, got the Kipon Hassy X T/S adapter. Shot at f/11 and ...

Never seen THAT distortion before. ES artifact? Pincushion distortion of a kind never before seen on Earth? :unsure:

I like the way the Pentax 645 A lenses render. I'm just not sure I'll ever get a good wide shift out of them. The 75 and 150 are great.

Matt
How much did you shift? That looks like the dreaded moustache distortion.

Check this out: this is what you get with 15mm of shift in landscape up, down, left and right. In the landscape section, see how the ends turn up at the far edges of the image? That's what your building is doing. This isn't a flaw in the lens... exactly. It's simply not meant to shift that far. A 15mm shift on the long edge is way outside the design image circle. The moustache runs wild and free in that zone!

R. de Loe GFXB2329-Pano.jpg

MGrayson

How much did you shift? That looks like the dreaded moustache distortion.

Check this out: this is what you get with 15mm of shift in landscape up, down, left and right. In the landscape section, see how the ends turn up at the far edges of the image? That's what your building is doing. This isn't a flaw in the lens... exactly. It's simply not meant to shift that far. A 15mm shift on the long edge is way outside the design image circle. The moustache runs wild and free in that zone!

View attachment 211005
Yeah, that looks like it. I think gentle shifts are the rule here. If I want crazy shifts, I'll use an ultra wide and keystone correct.

BTW, I'm always amazed at people using Leica M (or other FF) glass on Medium Format cameras. Lenses are not designed to be decent outside their sensor's circumscribed circle. I guess you can crop square and get something not available on a FF camera,

Last edited:

rdeloe

Yeah, that looks like it. I think gentle shifts are the rule here. If I want crazy shifts, use an ultra wide and keystone correct.
It would be awesome if Adobe had a profile that could fix this. The profile in LR for the FA 35 doesn't do much for moustache distortion (which that lens has too), and it doesn't do anything useful for shifted images.

Because of this thread, I now have the Pentax-A 645 lenses in 35 and 75 mm. I have a Fotodiox non shifting adapter, which is barely passable. Shifting limitations aside, I would like to use these on my Cambo WRS. Is anyone doing this with any success?

rdeloe

Because of this thread, I now have the Pentax-A 645 lenses in 35 and 75 mm. I have a Fotodiox non shifting adapter, which is barely passable. Shifting limitations aside, I would like to use these on my Cambo WRS. Is anyone doing this with any success?
Cambo makes a WRS lens plate for Mamiya 645, but I'm not seeing one for Pentax 645. That would be the ideal solution. Hopefully a WRS user can jump in and share some good news.

MGrayson

Quick update on Mamiya 645 50mm T/S. My second copy is better, although I have to check with both adapters, as one needed sanding down to allow infinity focus on a few lenses. More to come. These are amazing lenses for the price! And the have image circles that are large enough to shift a full 645 sensor 10 to 13 mm.

scho

Cambo makes a WRS lens plate for Mamiya 645, but I'm not seeing one for Pentax 645. That would be the ideal solution. Hopefully a WRS user can jump in and share some good news.
I have a Pentax 645 lens plate for my Actus that also has a convenient aperture lever.

rdeloe

Quick update on Mamiya 645 50mm T/S. My second copy is better, although I have to check with both adapters, as one needed sanding down to allow infinity focus on a few lenses. More to come. These are amazing lenses for the price!
The one copy I tried of that lens did not impress, but copy variation is a thing. I hope yours is a star.

One nice thing about that lens is it comes off the shift adapter easily, meaning it can be remounted to a board on digital view cameras where the M645 flange distance is a problem relative to the space available between standards.

MGrayson

The one copy I tried of that lens did not impress, but copy variation is a thing. I hope yours is a star.

One nice thing about that lens is it comes off the shift adapter easily, meaning it can be remounted to a board on digital view cameras where the M645 flange distance is a problem relative to the space available between standards.
Critical is the use of the Phocus adaptive CA tool. Color fringing does not go away at f/11 otherwise.So I export TIFFS from Phocus.

anyone

Quick update on Mamiya 645 50mm T/S. My second copy is better, although I have to check with both adapters, as one needed sanding down to allow infinity focus on a few lenses. More to come. These are amazing lenses for the price! And the have image circles that are large enough to shift a full 645 sensor 10 to 13 mm.
This lens flared like crazy on my GFX. I would hesitate to recommend it, but maybe you are more lucky!

MGrayson

This lens flared like crazy on my GFX. I would hesitate to recommend it, but maybe you are more lucky!
The sun is shining full on the lens, and it's shot through a dirty window, as opening the window would create bad heat waves. Very ... artistic!
X2D, Kipon adapter, Mamiya 645 50mm T/S at f/11.

Matt

anyone

The sun is shining full on the lens, and it's shot through a dirty window, as opening the window would create bad heat waves. Very ... artistic!
X2D, Kipon adapter, Mamiya 645 50mm T/S at f/11.

Matt
Try again at night! Street lights were causing quite a lot of flare.