The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your Thoughts are Important

algrove

While in Munich I decided to spend a rainy day at Dachau with my M11 Monochrom. The visit was not meant as anyhing other than a sad day of remembrance. I did not know what I was about to see, but I went anyway. Nevertheless, I had decided to document the day and communicate my feelings of the day in the best way I know how and that is through my images, most of which speak for themselves.

My wife is so saddened by the images that she cannot look at but a few at a time, especially considering the fact her mother was sent to a concentration camp during WWII. We have discussed the images and I have decided before posting any, I would like to have opinions on how you might feel about me posting images from this sad day. No offense taken to any comments. They will be respected. Thank you.

Reactions: B L

UlbabrabB

I think that if the images inspire sadness, even if you are not related to the place directly or through ancestors, they are probably perfectly describing it.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
When I visited a Holocaust Museum, there was a section surrounded by a wall. If you looked over the wall, you had a pretty good idea what you were getting into. A warning in capital letters in the thread title should suffice.

(Yes, I looked, and I'm not sure if it helped cause my misanthropy, or was merely synergistic.)

rmueller

Every respectful image taken of this place (and I don't expect anything else from you) is most welcome as it helps to not forget. I understand your wife's and your feelings, felt the same when I visited this and other places and it is still hard to understand how human kind could ever get there. Maybe put a warning in the title but I for myself would like to see what you have seen there. Regards, Ralf

Geoff

Agree with posting. Among all the ways to consider this, there is documentation of a place of horror; there are also "images sad in themselves". I don't know how to differentiate, but would be interested in discussion.

Shashin

I would not be offended. I would probably not look at them either. That is not a reflection of your images or your intent. I very well understand the history there.