The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

YT: Hasselblad 907x & CFV 100c - A journey with Ian Atkinson on location with Technical cameras

Niddiot

They are promotional, and enjoyable. My understanding from Paula at Linhof Studio was that she had just become aware of the banding problem and was in touch with Hassy about it. Not likely they were aware of it when the video was made.
Yes, I sent her all the stuff and these forum links a couple of days ago. She supplied mine.

TechTalk

The video has been blocked/has disappeared.
It contained copyrighted music. I hadn't heard Petula Clark singing "Downtown" in a long time prior to the Ian Atkinson / Linhof Studio video. I wondered, when it started playing in the video, if they had or needed copyright permission for that. Maybe there was some other copyrighted material, but that song caught my attention.

TechTalk

One little additional note regarding my comment above... Petula Clark is now 91 and still just as adorable as ever.

Here she is performing I'm Still Here at age 89 live at the London Gala Performance of Stephen Sondheim’s Old Friends revue on May 3, 2022. For anyone interested in spending a few minutes with an enjoyable little weekend video which isn't blocked by copyright...

wattsy

The video has been blocked/has disappeared.
Linhof Studio (or whoever made the video on their behalf) should know better than to use copyrighted material without securing the proper rights to do so. A schoolboy error for which they should feel embarrassed.

Alan

Linhof Studio (or whoever made the video on their behalf) should know better than to use copyrighted material without securing the proper rights to do so. A schoolboy error for which they should feel embarrassed.
They noted at the end of the video that the music was licensed. It’s possible the license was for UK only or some similar limit that was exceeded by a worldwide audience.

f8orbust

Difficult to know what the problem was without being 'in the know'. Certainly wouldn't be the first YouTube video to be taken down mistakenly by YouTube, who seem to have a 'take down now, figure it out later' policy if any third party makes any sort of claim against a video, no matter how spurious.

BTW, it's back up now.

SrMphoto

I had one of my YouTube videos blocked. It was a recording of me playing Chopin on my piano. A company claimed music copyright. It took a while to unblock it.

SrMphoto

Ridiculous corporate overreach but it seems you aren't the only person to be on the receiving end of a copyright strike for playing music by a public domain composer.

https://www.anthonyluissanchez.com/blog/sorry-you-cant-play-that-classical-music-and-copyright
It is not Google who claimed the copyright infringement but a third party. I believe some companies misuse the copyright claims mechanism on YouTube and request a block for anything that sounds similar to something they own. Google resolved it in my favor without extorting any of my money by that "claimer."

wattsy

It is not Google who claimed the copyright infringement but a third party. I believe some companies misuse the copyright claims mechanism on YouTube and request a block for anything that sounds similar to something they own. Google resolved it in my favor without extorting any of my money by that "claimer."
Yes, in the examples cited in the link I posted, it was Naxos and Sony Classical that were claiming copyright infringement. I'm sure you are right that the mechanism involved operates using a broad brush and the onus falls on the alleged copyright infringer to appeal the strike.

Hi, I've just become a member of this wonderful forum, so thanks for having me. I thought it might be worth me giving a little insight in to the topics that have been raised.
I'm Ian Atkinson. It was a little embarrassing reading some of the comments about the video being taken down, some of you guessed correctly that it was taken down by youtube because the Petula Clark song was attributed to a different distributor. All of the licenses were correct hence why it was up and running quite quickly.
More important matters. I'll try as best I can to help with the banding issue on the CFV100C
Since it was posted and we became aware of an issue I have tested all of the lenses I can get my hands on. The lenses I used in the making of the work don't show any signs of banding. 23mm Rodenstock, 70mm Rodenstock. I have since tested with maximum movements the 23mm Rodenstock HR Digaron S, 40mm Rodenstock, 50mm Rodenstock all HRW and non show any signs of banding. I've also tested the 38mm Schnieder XL and this doesn't show any banding either. I can only conclude that it must be an issue with analogue lenses potentially wider than 38mm. I've heard the 35mm Schnieder XL shows banding but without testing it and testing multiple copies I can't say whether it is or it isn't an issue.
Just to clarify I'm not sponsored by Linhof and Studio or Hasselblad (Althogh Linhof and Studio organised and filmed the making of the images) and my opinions are all my own and not directed by Hasselblad.
If anyone has any question I'd be happy to answer them when I get the chance.
Great to meet all of you and keep making work.
Best Ian

Geoff

Ian -
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your thoughts.
We try to maintain a friendly disposition here, and hopefully that will continue sorting through this issue. Several people have found banding, so something going on...
Can you clarify what you mean by maximum movements? One might consider that as around 15-20mm, but perhaps some are beyond that, and if combining vertical and horizontal, effectively much more.
Again, thanks for joining us, and much appreciate your videos - full of life and with a sense of humor.
Geoff

Steve Hendrix

Hi, I've just become a member of this wonderful forum, so thanks for having me. I thought it might be worth me giving a little insight in to the topics that have been raised.
I'm Ian Atkinson. It was a little embarrassing reading some of the comments about the video being taken down, some of you guessed correctly that it was taken down by youtube because the Petula Clark song was attributed to a different distributor. All of the licenses were correct hence why it was up and running quite quickly.
More important matters. I'll try as best I can to help with the banding issue on the CFV100C
Since it was posted and we became aware of an issue I have tested all of the lenses I can get my hands on. The lenses I used in the making of the work don't show any signs of banding. 23mm Rodenstock, 70mm Rodenstock. I have since tested with maximum movements the 23mm Rodenstock HR Digaron S, 40mm Rodenstock, 50mm Rodenstock all HRW and non show any signs of banding. I've also tested the 38mm Schnieder XL and this doesn't show any banding either. I can only conclude that it must be an issue with analogue lenses potentially wider than 38mm. I've heard the 35mm Schnieder XL shows banding but without testing it and testing multiple copies I can't say whether it is or it isn't an issue.
Just to clarify I'm not sponsored by Linhof and Studio or Hasselblad (Althogh Linhof and Studio organised and filmed the making of the images) and my opinions are all my own and not directed by Hasselblad.
If anyone has any question I'd be happy to answer them when I get the chance.
Great to meet all of you and keep making work.
Best Ian

Welcome aboard Ian!

I find my results with Rodenstock lenses to be counter to yours, to some degree - I could certainly produce banding with Rodenstock 40 HR-S and 50 HR-S. And also with Schneider Digitar lenses. Anything longer I don't think I was able to draw out the banding. 50mm - ish, regardless of lens seemed to be the longest lens I could produce it with. So my conclusion was that it is the angle of light that is the contributing factor, more than the type of lens.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

diggles

Welcome aboard Ian!

I find my results with Rodenstock lenses to be counter to yours, to some degree - I could certainly produce banding with Rodenstock 40 HR-S and 50 HR-S. And also with Schneider Digitar lenses. Anything longer I don't think i was able to draw out the banding. 50mm - ish, regardless of lens seemed to be the longest lens I could produce it with. So my conclusion was that it is the angle of light that is the contributing factor, more than the type of lens.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Initially, I hadn't noticed the banding issue when using the 50 HR, but I now see it after revisiting one of my images and bumping up the clarity to 100. Increasing clarity is not my usual practice, so the 50 HR still works for me, but the banding issue is still concerning.