The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. T

Olympus 40 - 150mm AF issues

I have an Olympus 40 - 150mm f4 - 5.6 lens which I bought second hand a number of years ago. Very nice image quality but I hate to say it but it is a frustrating lens to use. I have a love / hate relationship with this particular lens. The auto focus is very inconsistent. I always choose areas...
  2. T

Issue with viewing certain Raw files

I have a bit of an issue viewing certain Raw files with my current pc. I can see thumbnail images generated by my Panasonic G6 Raw images in File Explorer. Though there are no thumbnail images for Raw photo files that were shot with the Panasonic G7. And that makes the sorting and organising of...
  3. T

Flash recommendations for M4/3?

For a fair while, Ive been using a Yongnuo speedlight and flash trigger in conjunction with Panasonic M4/3 cameras. They performed okay but once in a while, I had reliability issues. More recently, I inserted some brand new batteries into both units and they refuse to turn on. No signs of life...
  4. T

A warning about infrared film

Just recently, I got back my very first B&W infrared film from the local lab. I have shot colour IR slide film in the past. I did learn a painful lesson from this B&W infrared film (Rollei 400 to be precise.) Never use hyperfocal focusing. I did that for most of the film and all those particular...
  5. T

Any Raw software for converting digitised colour negatives?

In the past, I have photographed some B&W film negatives with a Panasonic M4/3 camera and a macro lens and the results turned out quite good. I used a tablet behind the negatives as a light source. I have not tried the same thing with colour negatives but I do know that is it considerably more...
  6. T

Extra wide negative carrier for 35mm film?

Just wondering if there are any negative film carriers for 35mm film that have a gate that is wider than the usual 24mm x 36mm? I'm planning to digitise some negatives that will be exposed with a stereo camera. This stereo camera of mine uses the Realist format which I believe is five...
  7. T

Building a scooter variation for tracking shots (video)

I'm planning to do a DIY project sometime soon. What I want to build is something with wheels that would allow me to attach a camera to it for tracking shots in filmmaking. This thing will be kind of like a variation of a scooter but more simplified in some ways. It won't turn - it will travel...
  8. T

Depth of field concerns with a Yashica TLR

Sometime soon, I'm planning to shoot some star trails with my Yashica D TLR. Within my composition, I'm going to have a tree-lined hill in the foreground at the bottom of the frame with star trails streaking above it. I'll be shooting on a dark moonless night and I'll be selecting a pretty large...
  9. T

Fuji alternative to Portra 160 film?

I'm after a medium speed colour negative film (eg 100asa or 160asa) that is available in 120 format. Kodak Portra 160 is certainly popular these days for those folks who shoot film. However, Portra 160 tends to produce rather soft, pastel colours. I shoot a lot of landscapes / nature so I prefer...
  10. T

Lens hood dilemma with a Yashica TLR

I have a Yashica D TLR with a Yashinon taking lens which I haven't used for a number of years and I'd like to shoot with it again. There's a B1 - 49mm adapter ring on the bottom lens to accept screw on filters and lens hoods. Unfortunately, my rubber lens hood presses against the cable release...
  11. T

Home made slide projector project

Working on a project at the moment where I'm making a very basic, crude DIY slide projector with a few parts found around the home. Nothing fancy or elaborate. Sort of like a MacGyver slide projector (if he ever needed to make one.) A cardboard box with a circular hole cut out of it will be used...
  12. T

Alternative for shooting time lapse with a Canon T70?

For those who own cameras like the Canon T70 and T90, I'm sure you're familiar with the command back accessory which offers lots of features like time lapse shooting. Though looking on eBay, the prices for this accessory are bit more than I want to pay and the international postage costs are a...
  13. T

Curious about Kickstarter for photography project

Just recently, I came across a rather old Kickstarter project from 2012 from an American artist who went on a photographic expedition to Australia. His backers received photographic prints of images that he shot on that trip. I think that's a really great way of rewarding the backers – giving...
  14. T

35mm cameras with no sprocket teeth

The vast majority of 35mm film cameras in my possession have sprocket teeth for perforated film. There are some 35mm cameras with no sprockets – handy for unperforated film. Though in my opinion, it's not much of an advantage (how super rare would it be to come across unperforated film?) Not...
  15. T

Need more confidence when returning to developing

I have done B&W film developing in the past and I'm considering maybe doing some again in the future. Though this time around, it would be 4 x 5 inch sheet film rather than 35mm. I like the simplicity of dealing with sheet film during processing rather than rolls of film. However, I don't have...
  16. T

Kodak Portra 400 film and grain

I admit I have shot very little of Kodak Portra film but I'm thinking of using some Portra 400 film in the future. Just wondering what peoples experiences are with overexposing Portra 400 film - particularly with regards to grain. Did you notice much of a reduction with grain when overexposing...
  17. T

Query about early Nikonos models

My query relates to early Nikonos amphibious camera models that were fully manual and had mechanical shutters. I recently came across this video on the Nikonos II. The guy making the video reckons that this particular model can be prone to frame overlap issues. with loaded film. Does anyone know...
  18. T

Canon FD lens adapter recommendation for kite aerial photography?

I'm getting into kite aerial photography - starting with cheap simple cameras while I learn the craft and then progressing to more serious cameras with larger sensors later down the track after I get more experience. Though even with lots of practise, there's always the chance of a kite crashing...
  19. T

Questions about Calumet cameras

Regarding the Calumet 4 x 5 monorail cameras, I know these are very common cameras and more suited to studio use due to their bulky size and weight. I actually checked one out in a second hand store once and had a go with some of the adjustments. I know that there is a CC-400 standard camera as...
  20. T

Recommendations for medium format SLR

So I haven't shot medium format film for a long time. In the past, I used a Yashica D TLR with Yashinon lenses and a Koni Omega Rapid. They were both obtained very cheaply and allowed me to get into medium format on a very small budget. Both cameras have produced some nice images but they do...