The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

Alan

I should have removed the rotaslide to bring the back deeper into the camera body. That would put about 1 cm more distance between the standards and I think it would have all worked then.
I can’t be sure from the photo, but looks like you could have flipped the rear format frame around as well. (The Rotamount doesn’t work in that configuration, but if you’re removing it anyway…) That would have given you even more space between the standards.

cunim

I can’t be sure from the photo, but looks like you could have flipped the rear format frame around as well. (The Rotamount doesn’t work in that configuration, but if you’re removing it anyway…) That would have given you even more space between the standards.
Hmmm. Never thought of that. Do you mean rotate the entire rear standard on the rail? It would be interesting to start a thread about hacks to get more extreme movements. I would be interested but few of us need such hacks, I think. The old days of contorted bellows are gone and very few digital lenses can handle large movements. The 138 is exceptional but, in contrast, the (more practical) Rodie 120 macro would be showing me abstract art at these tilts. So it comes down to a personal decision as to when stacking is better than moving and with most digital lenses, I would stack before I need extreme movements. Now that would make a more interesting topic than hacks. When is moving a better option than stacking?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hmmm. Never thought of that. Do you mean rotate the entire rear standard on the rail? It would be interesting to start a thread about hacks to get more extreme movements. I would be interested but few of us need such hacks, I think. The old days of contorted bellows are gone and very few digital lenses can handle large movements. The 138 is exceptional but, in contrast, the (more practical) Rodie 120 macro would be showing me abstract art at these tilts. So it comes down to a personal decision as to when stacking is better than moving and with most digital lenses, I would stack before I need extreme movements. Now that would make a more interesting topic than hacks. When is moving a better option than stacking?
A theoretical answer, mind you. Straight stacking is very good at getting things *in* focus. Tilt is good at getting a smooth transition from in focus to OOF. To get the tilt "look" from a stacked image, you would have to hand-paint the masks to overcome the stacking software's desire to get detail everywhere. Maybe that's not difficult, and maybe the results look nice even if done inexactly. That I can't say.

Software to simulate tilt would be possible, and for all I know, exists. But I doubt you'd get the same look.

But the interesting possibility is stacking WITH a tilted setup. This produces adjacent wedges of in-focus image. Moving the rear standard by fixed small amounts will make equally overlapping in-focus wedges.

Matt

Greg Haag

Greg, what a stunning result! If I may, how is this laptop mounting solution called?
Thank you! The laptop mount is from a company called Inovativ. So far, it has been the lightest/most portable solution I have found. I would normally have it on the same tripod as my camera but for images like this that involve a composite of multiple images I mount it to a separate tripod.

Greg Haag

Greg,

If that's from a single capture, I have no idea how you lit that. Amazing result in any event!

Matt
Thank you Matt! This is a composite of 19 images, 16 images of the car and 3 of the house and outdoor lighting. I opened these as layers in Photoshop. The needed 3 on the house and outdoor only to balance the different intensities. On the 16 images of the car, I did the following. I used a large LED light panel on a telescoping painters pole with 6 second exposures in otherwise near complete darkness (house lights were off) walking the length of the car. Here you have to be careful not to let the light hit you or you get ghosting that is nearly impossible to remove, I believe there were 3 of these. Next I used a small LED with a grid to accent the details, such as the trunk, tires, hood ornament, etc. I then took these images into photoshop, a composite of the images of the house served as my base image. Next, I begin on the car by taking the images with the large LED panel, one by one I lasso the parts of the image I want to use and then click layer mask and change the blend mode to lighten. I repeat this process with each of my selected images. If I would of had more time I would have lit, shrubs, trees, and the house but we had people coming over for dinner. (It is also important on the car to white balance each light source)

dj may

Do you have a link to a bigger version of that foggy image? Something about it .....
I do, however not on the internet. I will be placing this image on my website soon, as well as other images from my 12 days in Tuscany. They will be 800 pixels on the long side, so not much different from this except for the added compression.

I could add some crops if there is interest. It is quite a large file.

Last edited: