The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The trip to Patagonia has been wonderful. Good light and good people. I highly recommend Visionary Wild / Justin Black. His trips are well-managed and top shelf. Here I am in my failed struggle to stay dry and to keep the tripod from buzzing in the wind. Classic shot from Lago Pehoe in classic Patagonia conditions.

I was committed to using frame averaging to blur the water, so 9/10 attempts were ruined by the wind. But I was able to find a few gaps between gusts. sk60xl, Alpa STC, IQ4-150, tilt and 5mm back rise (the bottom foreground is cropped).

Dave

Beautiful! REALLY captures the spirit of the place. I was there on the only windless week anyone could remember. It was weird. That lake was glassy smooth.:oops:

tcdeveau

The trip to Patagonia has been wonderful. Good light and good people. I highly recommend Visionary Wild / Justin Black. His trips are well-managed and top shelf. Here I am in my failed struggle to stay dry and to keep the tripod from buzzing in the wind. Classic shot from Lago Pehoe in classic Patagonia conditions.

I was committed to using frame averaging to blur the water, so 9/10 attempts were ruined by the wind. But I was able to find a few gaps between gusts. sk60xl, Alpa STC, IQ4-150, tilt and 5mm back rise (the bottom foreground is cropped).

Dave

Great shot Dave! I've only been to the Patagonia region once, and it was further north than Torres Del Paine. The wind in that area of the world is something else for sure. We were fly fishing which was....difficult haha.

rdeloe

Shooting some of the waterfalls in Upstate South Carolina this weekend.
Just had a little moment here looking at this image... I'd forgotten that it in the chimney finder the image is reversed. Dh'o. It's been a while obviously....

Taking a picture of the LCD on a digital camera doesn't have quite the impact that this kind of image does.

GeorgeBo

Just had a little moment here looking at this image... I'd forgotten that it in the chimney finder the image is reversed. Dh'o. It's been a while obviously....

Taking a picture of the LCD on a digital camera doesn't have quite the impact that this kind of image does.
Now just go to a view camera and turn yourself upside down ;)

jng

Indeed! And amusingly, when I discovered the joys of flipping up the screen of the CFV back to use it like a waist level finder as I did way back in the day with my old 500 bodies, I became hopelessly confused orienting the camera as the image was not reversed! So yes, while it’s been a while for me as well, these old habits do die hard.

John

MGrayson

The waist-level view is reversed left-right but not up-down. The view camera is reversed both left-right and up-down. And the dust speck location on the sensor is reversed up-down but not left-right.

Fascinating place, three-dimensions. :unsure:

Last edited:

JoelM

The waist-level view is reversed left-right but not up-down. The view camera is reversed both left-right and up-down. And the dust speck location on the sensor is reversed up-down but not left-right.

Fascinating place, three-dimensions. :unsure:
View cameras have no mirrors. Waist level finder has one mirror therefore the front to back reversal (left/right), but our lovely DSLRs have a prism, like binoculars.

MGrayson

View cameras have no mirrors. Waist level finder has one mirror therefore the front to back reversal (left/right), but our lovely DSLRs have a prism, like binoculars.
It's the dust specks that need some thought. No mirrors, and yet reversal in only one direction. It's the same as sitting inside a camera obscura. The image on the wall is reversed top to bottom, but not left to right. I've written an essay on this called "The Starfish in the Mirror", but I think an abridged version for photography is in order. (Starfish don't have left and right - they have clockwise and counterclockwise.)

anyone

Indeed! And amusingly, when I discovered the joys of flipping up the screen of the CFV back to use it like a waist level finder as I did way back in the day with my old 500 bodies, I became hopelessly confused orienting the camera as the image was not reversed! So yes, while it’s been a while for me as well, these old habits do die hard.

John
+1

I even wrote a feature request to reverse the screen to Hasselblad…

MGrayson

Yes, but the misinformation is that a mirror reverses left and right as that isn't the actual case.
Yes, indeed. The interesting question is: why do we think it does? Saying "mirrors reverse front and back" is true, but doesn't explain our almost universal belief that they reverse left and right. I've now wandered too OT even for me, so will start a thread dedicated to mirrors, reversal, sensors, film, and viewfinders. And the culprit - that every rotation of the sphere has a fixed point.

JoelM

Yes, indeed. The interesting question is: why do we think it does? Saying "mirrors reverse front and back" is true, but doesn't explain our almost universal belief that they reverse left and right. I've now wandered too OT even for me, so will start a thread dedicated to mirrors, reversal, sensors, film, and viewfinders. And the culprit - that every rotation of the sphere has a fixed point.
Agreed, but I tell people that if it did indeed reverse left and right, it would also have to do up and down. If you lay on a table your head is still on the same side (I hope). :D

jng

It's the dust specks that need some thought. No mirrors, and yet reversal in only one direction. It's the same as sitting inside a camera obscura. The image on the wall is reversed top to bottom, but not left to right. I've written an essay on this called "The Starfish in the Mirror", but I think an abridged version for photography is in order. (Starfish don't have left and right - they have clockwise and counterclockwise.)
Not sure about the starfish, but isn’t the reason why the image in the camera obscura is not reversed left to right when viewing it a simple matter of perspective of the viewer? In other words, in this case you are viewing the image projected on the wall whereas in the case of the viewfinder you are in essence viewing from the opposite side? I suspect I must be missing something pretty basic here so look forward to being thoroughly disabused of my (il)logic upon reading your essay, abridged for photographers and lowly experimentalists such as myself.

John

4x5Australian

Matt, perhaps the answer to your question is related to the one I often ask: Why do some people persist in their belief that the vertical sides of buildings converge? (To the extent that they will deliberately introduce convergence into their images to counter the vertical sides their levelled cameras provide, which they insist are unnatural).

My tentative answer is that our expectations tend to override or determine what we see.

Rod