The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

Grayhand

A bit slow answer because of work.

Yes, the small format is in some way a liberator for me.
But the larger format is still a big part of my thinking on the "crime scene".
Now I have decided that I will put up my Sinar P1 8X10 / F1 4X5 kit for sale.
Too cumbersome to drag around, but I keep my Wista 4X5 system.

The medium format is in some way a combination of the best part of 35mm and the large format when it comes to film cameras.
So we will see what this summer brings regarding photography, but 35mm will for sure be a substantial part of it.

Ray

dave.gt

It’s never too late to start all over again.

Some of you may know and understand what I mean by that. It is not something I can talk about, it’s too early for that.

But, at my age, that is the task I have been given. As a writer, and as a photographer, profound changes are always followed by a journal entry, a story, or a book.

Photographs sometimes accompany the written words, or they may stand alone to tell a story through visual presentations.

So, the attached image is from an iPhone… only because the image shows two of my everyday carry bags and it is Autumn, my favorite time of year. I cannot wait on a color film to be developed, scanned and processed because the season will have passed.

IMG_4807.jpeg

But the importance of the image is in the mystery of the contents of the bags. And why are these two bags important and not my trusty Billingham bags?

Ah… all will be revealed in time. I will share a little more soon in this most interesting Leica Film Image forum.

For now, it is enough to just, let it be. 👍

dave.gt

In front of me now is the black Billingham Leica bag and the military green Domke bag.
Since January, I have been shooting both my Nikon (FM2a/FE2) cameras, but more often than not, the M2.

Dave with Leica M2 by Leica M2 2023.jpeg
The M2… what can I say?🙂

For me, it is as close as I can get to a pure photography experience and it resides in a Billingham bag for many reasons.

So, what could be better than having an M2 in an outfitted classic bag that begs to be used? Nothing in a normal sense, I suppose. At least… if life is normal.🙂

But life changes profoundly, in a heartbeat. Literally.

For almost two months now, I have been aware that I needed both physical and emotional rehabilitation and I have been working on that with an unprecedented determination. More on that later.

In the first image above, I have two cameras in much lighter bags (fully outfitted for my needs). Each bag is rugged, comfortable, protective and accessible. And each bag weighs half of my outfitted Billingham bag which is somewhat larger.

Saving 3 lbs. of weight was never much of an issue in the past. After all, when I was shooting medium format full time, I was on location with the camera on a tripod most of the time. A shoot could last all day and only the hike in and out with my gear (and pushing a wheelchair with the love of my life enjoying being outdoors and watching me work) was physically demanding.

But I have not done a photo shoot in ages and I have been immersed in 35mm film format for over a year now. Medium format is now pretty much dedicated to special projects. In other words, occasional use.

Why is it now imperative to consider weight when carrying my gear?

More later…👍…but as you can see, I have been pretty much confined to shooting around the house as I have refined my shooting black and white film, developing and processing.

Desk Lamp 2 by Leica M2 Acros, DD-X July 2023.jpeg

Rolltop Desk 1 by Leica M2 Acros, DD-X July 2023.jpeg

Things have changed. Tragically.

Last edited:

dave.gt

Continuing… why is it necessary now for me to have a lightweight camera and bag?

I am working diligently to improve my health. I am now back to walking a baseline of 15 miles each week. A far cry from the 25-30 miles I walked a decade ago, but enough to keep me in good health.🙂

This time I am dressed not as a wannabe athlete, but in casual clothes, casual shoes and a camera bag. I had no idea how a lightweight camera bag outfitted with an M2 and the necessary accessories could be such an aggravation after a solid hour or more walking with the bag over my shoulder. But it can be. 🤨

So, I now walk as if I am on a casual walk, at a fairly good pace. The idea is to improve my health, maintain an exercise baseline and ensure that I actually enjoy going out on long walks anywhere with the M2, or any other small format camera. The happier and healthier I am the better my images will be… right?

Trees at the Park Leica M2 May 2023.jpeg

Playground at the Park Leica M2 May 2023.jpeg

Swings Leica M2 May 2023.jpeg

So, the photography circle of life for me has closure with small 35mm film format beginning my long journey 6 decades ago and now, I find myself shooting a lightweight kit, a 1962 Leica M2, and I could not be more satisfied.

Last edited:

lookbook

In front of me now is the black Billingham Leica bag and the military green Domke bag.
Since January, I have been shooting both my Nikon (FM2a/FE2) cameras, but more often than not, the M2.

View attachment 207147
The M2… what can I say?🙂

For me, it is as close as I can get to a pure photography experience and it resides in a Billingham bag for many reasons.

So, what could be better than having an M2 in an outfitted classic bag that begs to be used? Nothing in a normal sense, I suppose. At least… if life is normal.🙂

But life changes profoundly, in a heartbeat. Literally.

For almost two months now, I have been aware that I needed both physical and emotional rehabilitation and I have been working on that with an unprecedented determination. More on that later.

In the first image above, I have two cameras in much lighter bags (fully outfitted for my needs). Each bag is rugged, comfortable, protective and accessible. And each bag weighs half of my outfitted Billingham bag which is somewhat larger.

Saving 3 lbs. of weight was never much of an issue in the past. After all, when I was shooting medium format full time, I was on location with the camera on a tripod most of the time. A shoot could last all day and only the hike in and out with my gear (and pushing a wheelchair with the love of my life enjoying being outdoors and watching me work) was physically demanding.

But I have not done a photo shoot in ages and I have been immersed in 35mm film format for over a year now. Medium format is now pretty much dedicated to special projects. In other words, occasional use.

Why is it now imperative to consider weight when carrying my gear?

More later…👍…but as you can see, I have been pretty much confined to shooting around the house as I have refined my shooting black and white film, developing and processing.

View attachment 207148

View attachment 207149

Things have changed. Tragically.
... wonderful David!

pegelli

I was recently tempted to try out a roll of XP 2 Super which needs to be developed in C41.
Allthough the results are quite good I really missed the experience of developing the film myself at home.
So currently I'm back to FP4+ and HP5+ which I can develop at home much more easily.

But here's a few from the XP2 Super

Railway crossing, I waited ages to have a train appear in one of the tunnels but it didn't happen, so I finally settled for a train passing overhead

Summicron 50/2, v1, rigid

Castle Vorselaar

Summaron 35/2.8

Chicane in the dry moat around the reduit of Fort 8 (Wilrijk)

Summaron 35/2.8

GR5, running from the North Sea to the Mediterranean, passing within a few km from our house

Elmar 50/3.5

All Leica M2, Ilford XP2Super exposed at ISO 400, developed in C41 (by a shop)
Scanned at home with an Epson 700 Photo as a negative, further processed in Lightroom using Negative Lab pro

dave.gt

I was recently tempted to try out a roll of XP 2 Super which needs to be developed in C41.
Allthough the results are quite good I really missed the experience of developing the film myself at home.
So currently I'm back to FP4+ and HP5+ which I can develop at home much more easily.

But here's a few from the XP2 Super

Railway crossing, I waited ages to have a train appear in one of the tunnels but it didn't happen, so I finally settled for a train passing overhead

Summicron 50/2, v1, rigid

Castle Vorselaar

Summaron 35/2.8

Chicane in the dry moat around the reduit of Fort 8 (Wilrijk)

Summaron 35/2.8

GR5, running from the North Sea to the Mediterranean, passing within a few km from our house

Elmar 50/3.5

All Leica M2, Ilford XP2Super exposed at ISO 400, developed in C41 (by a shop)
Scanned at home with an Epson 700 Photo as a negative, further processed in Lightroom using Negative Lab pro
These look terrific. 😃

scho

Pieter,

If you are feeling adventurous you could try processing XP2 in some home brew caffenol developer. I tried a few rolls using stand development and had treasonable results. Also with Rodinal.

pegelli

Thanks Carl, and I yes I've read a lot about developing XP2Super in Rodinal and other "normal" B&W developers.
I will for sure give it a try and compare vs. my standard FP4+ recipe but my conclusion from the many articles and samples I've seen is that you also lose part (or maybe even all) of the advantages vs. developing in C41. You lose part of the high speed and speed flexibility and since you don't use the colour dyes but develop the classical silver crystals the grain gets more course as well. So I'm not sure in the end how much better it is vs. conventional B&W film developed in conventional developer.