The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M10Monochrom fade out - M11Mono just around the corner?

doccdiamond

Just tested an M10 Mono and liked the files very much and my dealer tried to order one - not available anymore. And no more new batches from Wetzlar expected... Bad news. Or is the M11 Mono just around the corner?

Paul Spinnler

Mono 11 would come before Summer or right after as fiscal year end of Leica is end of March ... SL3 has priority. Would say still at least 6-9 months off.

doccdiamond

Mono 11 would come before Summer or right after as fiscal year end of Leica is end of March ... SL3 has priority. Would say still at least 6-9 months off.
Nevertheless sad to have no option for a new Mono the next 12 months (taking the "fast" delivey of Leica M's after announcement into account)...

algrove

"Around the Corner?" The Q3, SL3 and S3 might come out, but then again it seems the M is the revenue driver for Leica. It was only early January of this year that the M11 came out. That said I see many dealers have had M11 stock for a few months now and in the past when that happens the Mono cannot be far behind, but I would be surprised if one comes out before April of 2023.

OP-Have you converted M11 files into B&W? They are wonderful.

P.S. It looks like Leica is still trying to deplete SL2 inventory what with all their "giveaways".

doccdiamond

"Around the Corner?" The Q3, SL3 and S3 might come out, but then again it seems the M is the revenue driver for Leica. It was only early January of this year that the M11 came out. That said I see many dealers have had M11 stock for a few months now and in the past when that happens the Mono cannot be far behind, but I would be surprised if one comes out before April of 2023.

OP-Have you converted M11 files into B&W? They are wonderful.

P.S. It looks like Leica is still trying to deplete SL2 inventory what with all their "giveaways".
Yes, I converted some M11 files into BnW, but for me the 60MP for a rangefinder and certain (Non-Apo) lenses is overkill, especially without any IBIS. 24-40MP would be for me for handheld M photography more than enough. Therefore the M10 Mono had been perfect (for me). I will (have to :)) keep my M9Mono CCD despite the crappy interface and less precise RF.

Paul Spinnler

I love the M10M - there's something about the tonality of the files or clean ISO 1600 ... with a beautiful uniform and soft grain structure

pegelli

mpb.com (EU site) showed two in "excellent condition" this morning. I bought a 240 mono and a lens from them a half year ago and found their rating very conservative, the smallest blemish is enough to drop it from "as new" to "excellent", so I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them if I really wanted a M10 mono.

Last edited:

chriscove

I have seen many used M10M’s on the Fred Miranda site. Not sure if your US based but this is a great site for excellent used Leica stuff.
PS- The M10M is my favorite camera ever!!!!

JoelM

I bought my S2 from MPB (US site) and it was, as stated above, very conservatively rated. They inspect all incoming gear very closely and return policy is very good.

algrove

OP
Have you tried to contact a Leica Store to see what trade-ins they might have? Many are offered with limited warranty

doccdiamond

Many thx to everybody, the experience and the suggestions - here in Switzerland or sorrounding countries second hand options are there. As I made the experience that Leica (M?) equipment needs very often some calibration even if brand new I "prefer" their service for new material...

I was just a little bit surprised about the fast fadeout of the M10Mono before any announcement of a succesoor.

Paul Spinnler

Did the Leica Store in Zurich say you cannot order the M10M anymore? Another reason could be that the initial batch of sensors was used and that ordering a new batch doesn't make sense given minimum order sizes to stay profitable with the current inflationary environment – ie a miscalculation on the side of Leica without it meaning that the M11M is around the corner.

You need to order a few thousands of chips if you have custom designs and sensors are ordered in batches. The M10M is absolutely amazing in terms of the files it outputs so maybe they sold more than planned given we are in year 2 of a typically 3 year cycle.

doccdiamond

Did the Leica Store in Zurich say you cannot order the M10M anymore? Another reason could be that the initial batch of sensors was used and that ordering a new batch doesn't make sense given minimum order sizes to stay profitable with the current inflationary environment – ie a miscalculation on the side of Leica without it meaning that the M11M is around the corner.

You need to order a few thousands of chips if you have custom designs and sensors are ordered in batches. The M10M is absolutely amazing in terms of the files it outputs so maybe they sold more than planned given we are in year 2 of a typically 3 year cycle.
Leica Switzerland confirmed that there will be no more M10M's available. But I got the last one of Switzerland today in a shop far outside Zurich...- acc. Leica Switzerland.

That the M11M is not too far away someone told me with a smile...

All the best

Peter

Paul Spinnler

I would assume it is c. 7 months away – after fiscal year end and befoere Summer would make most sense with availability after Summer, so more like 9-10 months, ar a bit less than the usual 3y lifecycle.

Paratom

If you don't want more than 40 MP anyways, and if there are not any features in the M11 which you really want/need compared to the M10R/Mono, why not try to find a M10Mono somewhere in stock or buy a used one?
I would expect that a M11 Mono would not have less resolution than the M11.

Paul Spinnler

I have both the M10M and M11; the most convenient feature, besides the 60 megapixels, is the new battery system where you can easily remove it with by moving a lever. I bought a third party bottom plate from Luigi which essentially does the same thing, so there are workarounds.

Another advantage maybe the better EVF resolution, but to be honest also on the M11 it is not thaaat great.

The M10M will be a fantastic B&W for years to come with high-iso to die for. Slap on a 24mm lens and there you go you have a perfect street camera.

JohnBrew

The M10M captures my curiosity. Everything I've read is quite stimulating. I'd like to trade my M8.2 Chrome and M9-P chrome for one but parity may be several years away.