The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OVF question with the X100 - X100V

peterb

Lately I've gotten interested in the X100V for a slew of reasons but what I'd like to know from anyone whose used either the new x100V in particular or the previous models is what the experience is like looking through the OVF with the frame line around the scene.

Is the view reasonably substantial or is it like looking through a peephole?

Just want to get an idea if the view, while I'm sure it's nothing close to the view through the viewfinder of a Leica M, that's it's still respectably sizable.

Thanks!

diforbes

Lately I've gotten interested in the X100V for a slew of reasons but what I'd like to know from anyone whose used either the new x100V in particular or the previous models is what the experience is like looking through the OVF with the frame line around the scene.

Just want to get an idea if the view, while I'm sure it's nothing close to the view through the viewfinder of a Leica M, that's it's still respectably sizable.

Thanks!
I've owned and used almost all of the X100 variants. The OVF view is what I imagine a rangefinder view would be like. You see the scene outside of the frame lines, including the end of the lens. What's nice about the Fuji implementation is you can include as little or as much information in the OVF as well, such as a histogram, ISO, exposure comp, etc. That said, I mostly use the EVF because I like the real-time view that represents the current exposure. Having the OVF option is a nice break from the usual mirrorless camera view. I wish more companies implemented this.

darr

I have been using a X100T for a few years and my experience with the OVF is similar to diforbes.

peterb

I've owned and used almost all of the X100 variants. The OVF view is what I imagine a rangefinder view would be like. You see the scene outside of the frame lines, including the end of the lens. What's nice about the Fuji implementation is you can include as little or as much information in the OVF as well, such as a histogram, ISO, exposure comp, etc. That said, I mostly use the EVF because I like the real-time view that represents the current exposure. Having the OVF option is a nice break from the usual mirrorless camera view. I wish more companies implemented this.
The tailoring of information is VERY cool. But do you feel the OVERALL optical view with the projected frame lines inside it is reasonably large and not a smallish view with frame lines inside it?

Reading that the view was .52x vs .73x of a Leica made me wonder if the view you see while "rangefinder-like" was like looking through the tiny viewfinders of some of the earlier APS-C DSLR's (like Nikon's D3100 for example) which employed a 'pentamirror' with a really tiny peephole of a view and not a pentaprism with a decent sized image.

That's basically what I wanted to know.

But if you feel the view is really good...that would be great!

Thanks!

Last edited:

diforbes

The tailoring of information is VERY cool. But do you feel the OVERALL optical view with the projected frame lines inside it is reasonably large and not a smallish view with frame lines inside it?

Reading that the view was .52x vs .73x of a Leica made me wonder if the view you see while "rangefinder-like" was like looking through the tiny viewfinders of some of the earlier APS-C DSLR's (like Nikon's D3100 for example) which employed a 'pentamirror' with a really tiny peephole of a view and not a pentaprism with a decent sized image.

That's basically what I wanted to know.

But if you feel the view is really good...that would be great!

Thanks!
I think the OVF image is a good size; my guess is the framelines use about 75 percent of the total view. My best suggestion is to try one out if you can.

Shashin

Viewfinder magnification has nothing to do with how restricted the viewfinder image is. But rather the difference between human vision (1X) and the viewfinder if you were opening both eyes at once. The X Pro2 has magnifications of 0.36X and 0.6X. But the viewfinder is very comfortable to use (I have also used a Mamiya 6 and Hexar Sliver and the X Pro2 viewfinder is really nice (but I don't wear glasses)). The 0.36X covers the field of view of the XF14mm and is used for focal length of up to 23mm. The 0.6X takes over at 35mm and gives a good set of frame lines for 50mm (and 90mm is not bad either).

However, I have not used an X100, so I can't comment. I have looked through one and the viewfinder did not bother me or rather I was not conscious that it was a bad viewfinder. Fuji has a long history of making viewfinder/rangefinder cameras. I have never heard of any complaints of the X100 having a small OVF, but as suggested, perhaps rent one or see if you can get to a store. Many stores have good return policies.

Oren Grad

Earlier this year I rented an X100V for a week. For context, I have extensive experience with Leica M film cameras as well as with many other 35mm and medium format rangefinder cameras and limited experience with Leica M digital cameras, but I'd had no prior experience with the X100 series.

I thought the OVF would be one of the major attractions of the camera, but I found it disappointing. To my eye it seemed smallish and dim, and the extra data readouts that in theory are added value in the Fuji OVF were fussy and distracting. Oddly enough I found the data displays plenty usable in EVF mode, so there was something about the way they are projected into the OVF that bothered me. I ended up using the EVF for most of my time with the camera, though that too brought an unexpected minor annoyance. The camera implements the EVF by physically flipping an electronic display panel into the viewfinder with a distinct click. But the camera defaults to OVF when it's turned off or goes into power-saving. So if you're working in EVF mode there's a little click from the viewfinder every time you turn on the camera or wake it up.

Although not related to the viewfinder, in fairness I'd like to add a positive note on camera handling - the leaf shutter is virtually silent, really nice for photographing unobtrusively and, to my ear, distinctly more pleasant than the shutter sound of any mirrorless interchangeable-lens digital camera I've used, without the complications of pure electronic-shutter modes. I really liked that aspect of the camera.

As will be obvious, this is all a matter of personal taste - the little things that bother me might be no problem for you. Just don't assume that the OVF experience will be anything like that of a classic rangefinder film camera. As always, if you can manage it, the best thing to do is to rent one and try for yourself.

Last edited:

darr

I would like to expand my answer regarding the X100T OVF after reading through the comments.

I have a long history with rangefinder cameras and prefer them over SLR/dSLR cameras. I currently shoot a Mamiya 6 and Minolta CLE. I have owned and shot with a Mamiya 7II and Leica M7. I found the Leica M7 not to my liking primarily because it was a PITA to change film when I needed to do it quickly, thus my acquiring a very nice three lens CLE kit.

I have just compared the CLE's OVF with the X100T and to my eyes they are the same size and brightness. I prefer the X100T because it is customizable. I can remove/add icons of information if I so choose through the menu option, MENU > SHOOTING MENU 3 > DIS. CUSTOM SETTING > OVF >. With everything checked OFF, what remains on the left outside the frameline is M+E (shutter type) and along the bottom outside the framelime is AF-S (single auto focus) and below that A for aperture priority mode. I have a green box for focus area that I can move around with a customizable button and a bright green dot confirming focusing accuracy.

When I look through the CLE's OVF, I see two sets of framelines (I currently have the M-ROKKOR 40/1.2 mounted), the shutter speed scale to the left, and a bright red dot for the meter reading illuminates. The CLE OVF is easy to see through and has thicker and bolder framelines than the X100T, but I personally prefer the X100T's customizing options because I like having a light grid pattern, exposure compensation, and battery level at my viewing distance while shooting. There are 16 options you can add or remove from the X100T's OVF.

Whatever viewfinder mode I place the X100T in, it stays in that mode throughout shooting and turning back on from off, unless I move the switch to change it.

The X100T's EVF is customizable as is the screen. You can have the screen turn-off when you look through the EVF, or stay on. I set my screen to OFF 100% of the time and prefer looking at previews through the EVF. I wish my CLE had an EVF for those times when it is difficult to focus due to low light.

There are so many customizable options with the X100T that it took me reading a book specifically written for it for me to understand the workflow that was available. I have thought a few times to upgrade to the current model, but since I own a X-Pro3, X-Pro2 and an X-E2, I find the X100T works well for my needs, and surprisingly what I use the X100T for the most ... studio product shots. Doesn't make any sense except it rocks!! :LOL:

Best to you,
Darr

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Thanks!
I just recently acquired a X100V - my Christmas gift for me from me ;):D;) - and I can say that I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of the EVF.

This comes from a lifetime Leica M shooter! Having said that the Leica M will give you for sure a better OVF - no wonder as it costs 5 times the price of the X100V - but I find the OVF in the X100V totally useable and so far actually prefer it to the also excellent EVF that camera offers. It definitely is MUCH better than looking through a peephole ....

I especially like the very sharp image you get of the framelines, the framelines move nicely as you change distance and you also can display a lot of additional information as well as a histogram in that OVF, something unthinkable in a Leica M.

So to sum this up, I can full heartedly recommend the X100V!!!!!