The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. MGrayson

Hasselblad's aversion to red dots

I just spent an hour sticking little triangles onto the barrels of all my XCD lenses and adapters. Why? Because Hasselblad refuses to mark how to orient the lens for camera attachment without removing the rear cap, rotating the lens, and squinting until the tiny red dot shows up. The V lenses at...
  2. MGrayson

Hasselblad XCD 28P Focus Shift

I don't want to clutter the Fun With ... thread, so here is a test (performed twice!) that demonstrates focus shift on the XCD 28P. I knew that lens align would come in handy one day.., This is focused (AF and manually checked with zoom) wide open - f/4. Note the Moiré on the lettering...
  3. MGrayson

Mirrors, Viewfinders, Sensors, and Orientation

Good Morning, I'm moving a discussion of mirrors and image orientation from Behind the Scenes to its own thread because I feel like I've pulled that miraculous place too much off topic. I'll have the usual verbiage and pictures (computer drawn, alas, not photography) later. John, You are...
  4. MGrayson

Phocus 3.8 problem importing - Solved

If I copy .3FR files to my computer, they show up in Photos 3.8. When I try to import them and convert to .FFF files, I get the dialog box, but nothing happens. The thumbnails, when selected get outline boxes, but not as thick as the 3.7.6 outlines, suggesting that they are not "fully" selected...
  5. MGrayson

More on Diffraction - Why is it There?

This is a pure lecture post. If I were modern, I'd have a YouTube channel and put it there. But I'm old fashioned and like pictures. I want to look at what happens inside your camera at time steps of a few trillionths of a second. I mean, who wouldn't? The time it takes light to leave the rear...
  6. MGrayson

Diffraction and Sensor Size

Playing around with old lenses got me thinking about diffraction. Why? Because we often need to use f/11. When I was shooting a tech cam with a large sensor, f/11 ws kind of standard. And then there's the whole f/64 thing with large format. But calculations of diffraction blur show that the...
  7. MGrayson

Positive feedback for @JoelM

Very easy transaction. Lens arrived quickly and in perfect shape. All good! Matt
  8. MGrayson

Perspective and Distortion

The 2014 MF Image thread was branching off into the issues of the perception of distortion that comes (largely) from wide-angle and shifted lenses. So here's a place to discuss it. I'll prepare a short exposition on the subject, but right now, I'll just leave the guiding principle: Every photo...
  9. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Opposite of Fun with MF Cameras. My X2D fired as it (and I) hit the ground. Lens shade and mounting plate got a bit scratched up. I'm gonna hurt a LOT tomorrow. That's what I get for abandoning Soup for a few days. This is the kind of nonsense I was up to. XCD 90/3.2 in bad light. Should have...
  10. MGrayson

Hasselblad Phocus won't open a CFe card from an X2D

Dear Mods, I asked this question in the Hasselblad X1D/X2D forum. If posting here violates crossposting rules, feel free to delete and accept my apologies. M1 MacBook Pro 14", OS 13.5.2, Phocus 3.7.5, SanDisk "Extreme PRO" CFe 256GB. I get no drop-down triangle in the left column so I can't...
  11. MGrayson

The Silicon Wafer Test Chart

It's hard to test a 300mm lens indoors. I mean, pixel pitches being what they are, you need an extremely detailed test chart or an extremely long hallway. But if you want to test at home and want detail down to ridiculous levels, get a silicon wafer from the 1980's (available inexpensively on...
  12. MGrayson

2 Second Delay vs. IBIS - a test of the X2D on a tripod

Since the X2D currently has no wired shutter release, and the phone apps are unpopular as a replacement, I wanted to see if IBIS made any difference to "2 second delay vs. mashing the shutter button". For many images, split second timing isn't necessary, but for others it is. Since a remote...
  13. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2023

Indeed. I could clone out the ducks....
  14. MGrayson

Hasselblad X2D and Leica S3 - Update 2: A difficult focus

After all the testing is done, we have to live with an actual system and take photographs in whatever way we prefer. I rarely use a tripod, usually shoot very wide, and wait for a photo to jump out, grab me by the lapels, and shout "take me!" in my face. Sometimes that means walking back 100...
  15. MGrayson

Solved: A lens that will AF on the X1D but won't on the X2D

I have 5 lenses that should autofocus on the X2D - three XCD and 2 HC. All of them AF on my X1D-50c. But on the X2D, only four of them AF. The XCD 45/3.5 gets a "Lens supports MF only" error every time I try to engage AF. Otherwise, it works fine. But that's a big "otherwise". Anyone seen...
  16. MGrayson

Two Hasselblad Portrait Lenses at Infinity - now with a Leica Lens and a Tree

One of the attractions of the X2D is the possibility that it will make it easier to use older wide aperture glass. In particular, I've always been interested in the Hasselblad FE 110mm f/2. Wide open, it is a very special portrait lens. But I don't shoot a lot of portraits, and so I was curious...
  17. MGrayson

Macro with the Leica S - achieving 1:1

The Leica APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm f/2.5, as S users know, goes to 1:2 magnification, and not the 1:1 that "real" macro lenses reach. There are a few ways to achieve 1:1 on the Leica S through adapted lenses. The Contax 120/4 is the most frequently used alternative. Pentax 67 lenses also adapt...
  18. MGrayson

Scheimpflug and Hinges - the parts Dave Chew wisely left out.

In Dave Chew's excellent article on using camera movements in the field, he concentrates on what actually happens to the focus plane (focus wedge, actually) as lens tilt and focus are adjusted. This is what a photographer needs to know. Unfortunately, I'm a mathematician. Mathematicians care...
  19. MGrayson

Professor Grayson ad-libs an explanation of tilt and shift

I was recently a guest on Complicated Things. If you want to see WHY tilt works without resorting to math, you might find it amusing. If you want to roast me for the inaccuracies (there are many), feel free. Pretending you didn't see this post is probably best. M
  20. MGrayson

FS: Techart and Metabones Canon EF to Fuji GFX Adapters - Greatly reduced prices

Techart Canon EF to Fuji GFX Smart Adapter with Box. Excellent Condition. Full AF and Aperture with all modern Canon EF lenses. In particular, the 135/2L and 200/2.8L are lovely. The 85/1.2L is insane. Asking $200 (was $320), fees and shipping included. PayPal and CONUS only. Excellent...