The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a1 problem!

doug

There's a big problem with the a1 that probably can't be solved. It fills my hard drive too quickly.

I spent some time with this male Anna's Hummingbird who delighted in showing off his brilliant gorget feathers. Those who know hummingbirds understand that the bright flashy colors are visible only at certain angles, and the bird has complete control of the appearance of the colors. When he flashes the colors it might be only for a moment, or a few seconds, which is where the a1's problem is exposed.

Here's the scenario: the light is perfect, the bird is cooperative, the background is to die for, and I've got the time and the equipment to take advantage of it all. The camera is focussed on the bird, I see red, and I push the button @ 20 frames/sec (uncompressed raw). The red flash might be momentary, or the worst-case scenario, several seconds. The bird is awesome, the camera is faithfully keeping itself steady and keeping the focus on the bird's eye, and I'm thinking "oh sh!t, this is going to be a LOT of files!"

Deleting files is easy when the bird blinks or spins it head too quickly but what about the other five to six dozen others that are perfectly focussed and exposed? Best solution: buy another hard drive. Or two.

calann63.jpg

calann64.jpg

calann65.jpg

calann66.jpg

calann67.jpg

bab

Please make the background darker to make the subject pop or lighter to make it more three dimensional. Then re post

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Time to upgrade from A1 to E-1, the Olympus E-1:

- 5MP files
- 3 fps
- 12 image buffer
- 33 seconds to empty the buffer

Result: you can shoot day and all night without ever filling up any hard disk.

Here's even a recent review:

... only joking :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pegelli

I could never have enough of those high quality photo's and storage is cheap enough these days ;)

If you really want to solve your luxury problem maybe throttle back the burst rate, I understand that with AF for every frame you can set it on the A1 at 20, 15, 10, 8, 6, 5 and 3 FPS, only problem is you might just miss that 100% perfect pose :eek:

fotografz

Doug! Long time no see. Wonderful images!!!!!!

So you are using Sony now? ... me too (but I still use my Leica S kit and M Monochrome).

What lenses are you using with the A1?

I'm thinking of getting the A1 to add to my A7R-IV. Still have the A7 and A7-II that I use with a TechArt AF adapter and M lenses.

doug

Doug! Long time no see. Wonderful images!!!!!!

So you are using Sony now? ... me too (but I still use my Leica S kit and M Monochrome).

What lenses are you using with the A1?

I'm thinking of getting the A1 to add to my A7R-IV. Still have the A7 and A7-II that I use with a TechArt AF adapter and M lenses.
I'm using the 600 GM most often, and the 100-400 GM when the 600 is too long. The 280/4 APO is retired now.

Once I started using the a1 I started scheming ways to replace the backup camera (a7rIII) with a second a1. I could see myself being very happy with the a1 for a very long time.