The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji 100MP sensor

Ed Hurst

I posed this question a while ago, when they were first launching a 100MP camera but it was probably too early then for anyone to have hard evidence/experience to answer it fully. With another thread suggesting a low-ish price for their new 100MP model, thought it might be a good moment to pose this again.

I would be very interested indeed to see test shots illustrating the high ISO noise and DR performance of the sensor in a Fuji 100MP camera. My 645Z does extremely well for astro shots, but if the noise were better on this body (or even just as good at a pixel level, making it better at any given print size, given the higher resolution), that would be most interesting.

Does anyone have test images, experience, etc. to answer this? And if you believe it's better, do you mean better at a given output size or better at pixel level?

All the best,
Ed

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Thanks, my friend. Would you mind elaborating a little on how OSPDAF affects DR?

If I am reading the chart you share properly, the GFX100 produces greater DR and less noise per pixel at a given ISO setting than the 645Z, despite having higher resolution. Do I have that right? Or is it less noise per unit area of the output?

P. Chong

Here is an image taken with the GFX 100 at ISO 51,200. Though this is a small image size, the image is relatively noise free.

timbre4.jpg

Vs at ISO 1600.

timbre2.jpg

The 51,200 was taken by accident, but after processing it, it looks ok. I think for small prints in magazines, it holds up reasonably well.

Last edited:
You can read some fairly in-depth analysis on the GFX100's DR and the OSPDAF effects on it on Jim Kasson's blog. Here are some links:

Particularly his noise comparison of the GFX100 and GFX50R (same sensor as on your 645Z) might be relevant to you. However, his comparison was made at ISO 100. For your use case a comparison at higher ISO would be more relevant. At higher ISO the GFX100 benefits from the dual gain technology of its more modern sensor. One way to test this is getting a dark frame raw file from the GFX100 at your preferred exposure settings. If you push this just as you push your 645Z files then you should get a fairly good idea on how that camera's noise behavior will affect your images.

SrMphoto

Thanks, my friend. Would you mind elaborating a little on how OSPDAF affects DR?

If I am reading the chart you share properly, the GFX100 produces greater DR and less noise per pixel at a given ISO setting than the 645Z, despite having higher resolution. Do I have that right? Or is it less noise per unit area of the output?
Yes, you interpret the graph correctly.
Note that lower resolution sensors do not have higher PDR as the sensor size and technology matter more than pixel size.
GFX100 has some minor banding caused by OSPDAF, which is enough to reduce the maximum DR possible. This means that there is no benefit in shooting with 16-bit instead of 14-bit.

Satrycon

GFX100 has some minor banding caused by OSPDAF, which is enough to reduce the maximum DR possible. This means that there is no benefit in shooting with 16-bit instead of 14-bit.
it should be pointed out that those banding artifacts appear in quite extreme conditions "gave them each a 5-stop exposure boost and +100 setting for the shadows"

Paul2660

I have used the GFX100 extensively and use shadow push quite often, Never 5 stops however, but in my work, I have yet to see the banding that was mentioned in the early testing. In fact until I read this thread, I had forgotten about the issue totally.

This is with both LR and C1 on the raws.

Paul C

SrMphoto

I have used the GFX100 extensively and use shadow push quite often, Never 5 stops however, but in my work, I have yet to see the banding that was mentioned in the early testing. In fact until I read this thread, I had forgotten about the issue totally.

This is with both LR and C1 on the raws.

Paul C
I agree, I have never had issues with banding on GFX100 (or on Z 7). Since that banding theoretically makes 16-bit mode unnecessary, I always shoot in 14-bit mode.

Ed Hurst

Thank you so much, everyone. It's certainly food for thought. It would be good to see real world, side-by-side examples of the two bodies at high ISO, but I guess that's asking rather a lot! What you've all shared above is a great help and I'm very appreciative.

Boinger

Hi Ed,

I know the work you do, fwiw I tested the GFX 50r and the X1d. I found the X1d to be better in terms of long exposure noise.

I now have the gfx100 and I don't find the noise any worse so I would comfortable recommend it. I do think it is slightly better than the GFX 50r noise. This I want to say is due to the 50r using 80% infill microlenses. That I think is one of the reasons I always found the gfx 50r to be slightly darker than my x1d for the exact same exposure settings.

Here is the side by side from kason in case you missed it.

edouard

I'd rather see an H7D-150c!
That would be nice for H users.
For V users 'would be nice to have a 53x40mm CFV-100c (or 150) back (quite unlikely) in addition to 44x33mm 100mpx X2D & CFV (quite likely) ;)
We don't know their sales numbers... maybe they are "focusing" on the X system... (but 'hope there will still be larger than 44x33 options with Hasselblad)

Abstraction

Thank you so much, everyone. It's certainly food for thought. It would be good to see real world, side-by-side examples of the two bodies at high ISO, but I guess that's asking rather a lot! What you've all shared above is a great help and I'm very appreciative.
Hi Ed,

Here is the comparison of Fuji GFX100, Nikon Z7, Canon R5 and Pentax 645z at ISO 12,800

Curtis Hight

That would be great too, but only if they implemented the 203 & 205 style controls and metering along with a identical, proper folding WLF!
I like the X1D body. Add an articulating screen and I would be pleased. (Presuming it was updated generally, such as with CFexpress and USB4. Most lovely would be the ability to accept networking cards like the Sekonic SpeedMaster L-858D). However, maybe your vision is surpassingly delightful; please tell me more! I had two 205 bodies so I am generally aware of what you are saying, but I am not sure of the specifics.