The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm GF 120 question

Greg Haag

I think I want to buy a copy of the GF 120 macro, does anyone know if there is only one version of this or has there been a new version released? I am leaning toward buying a used version and did not know if that should be something I should be watching for.
Thanks,
Greg

rdeloe

Greg, there are lots of enthusiastic GF 120 users over at the DPReview medium format forum, which I frequent, and not once have I seen reference to a second generation of this lens, or even a "stealth improvement" release version.

Greg Haag

Thanks Rob! I really only want this for macro, I bought an extension tube to try and avoid buying the 120 but the focusing distance/range is too narrow on every lens I have tried it on.

rdeloe

Greg, do you need the autofocus, and perhaps more importantly, are you planning to do focus stacking? If you don't need autofocus and you're not going to do automatic focus stacking, you could also look at the SMC Pentax-A 645 120mm macro lens. It is excellent, and quite inexpensive. Extension tubes are also widely available and inexpensive.

Greg Haag

That's a good question Rob, I have always focused manually focus on these macros.. As to the focus stacking, yes that would be one of the primary uses, then combine in Helicon.

rdeloe

That's a good question Rob, I have always focused manually focus on these macros.. As to the focus stacking, yes that would be one of the primary uses, then combine in Helicon.
You can certainly manual focus stack, especially with the Pentax-A model, which has a nice long focus throw for very precise focusing. I've used Fuji's automated focus stacking system with an X-T2, but not a GFX camera. However, many people seem to use it to good effect on GFX. That alone might be a reason to get the GF 120 (and the extension tube to get to 1:1 as @P.Chong notes).

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I also recommend the Pentax 645 120 macro. Very easy to manually focus stack. Smooth mechanical mechanism and 1:1.

Knorp

What I learned from the DPReview MF forum: for optimum IQ the GF120, due to its FLE-construction, is not well suited for extension tubes, especially the 45mm.

Ed Hurst

Another vote for the Pentax 645 120 macro. I'd recommend the A version (manual focus with lovely throw) than the optically almost identical FA version (auto-focus with less easily usable throw). Optics are very good, though the bokeh is perhaps not very flattering. That said, if you're focus stacking, that's hardly an important consideration.

P. Chong

I have the Hasselblad HC120. works excellent with GFX. After all the lens is made by Fuji. Goes to 1X without tubes, and 1.800s flash sync. The H Adapter G is excellent.

rdeloe

Thank you all for your feedback! It seems the common theme is not the GF 120.
...unless you need focus stacking to happen automatically! It won't with manual lenses like the Pentax or Contax.

And least I forget to plug the Pentax Forums reviews... Here's the info for the Pentax-A 645 120/4. The site collects basic info plus user comments. https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-645-120mm-F4-Macro-Lens.html User reviews, as always, have to be taken with a grain of salt, especially because the reviewers are using everything from Pentax 645 film through to Pentax-D, Pentax-Z, and various adaptation options.

Greg Haag

...unless you need focus stacking to happen automatically! It won't with manual lenses like the Pentax or Contax.

And least I forget to plug the Pentax Forums reviews... Here's the info for the Pentax-A 645 120/4. The site collects basic info plus user comments. https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-645-120mm-F4-Macro-Lens.html User reviews, as always, have to be taken with a grain of salt, especially because the reviewers are using everything from Pentax 645 film through to Pentax-D, Pentax-Z, and various adaptation options.
Thanks Rob!

Greg Haag

Got the lens and adapter in today I will look for an opportunity to really try it in the near future, but shot this just to make sure it worked. It seems to be an amazing value. Thanks for yours and everyone else’s help!

34 images processed in Helicon
bowl finished-1.jpg