The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with M11 Monochrom

algrove

Probably not a provocation.

I am moving from M10M to M11M, not for image improvement which will likely be indistinguishable from M10M but for things like better battery life, commonality with M11, better EVF, electronic shutter (ND's no longer routinely needed), superior Leica Fotos integration). There is no need for any of this, heck, there isn't even a need for a monochrome camera or a Leica... but its a choice.

I never owned a 246 but I can't believe you are in the least bit handicapped in the world of monochrome imaging.
For me the M11M images have much better tonality and a special character to them that I do not remember the M10M images as having.
Plus all the added benefits of an M11 chassis

fmueller

For me the M11M images have much better tonality and a special character to them that I do not remember the M10M images as having.
Plus all the added benefits of an M11 chassis
I should have my M11M in a few days. I’m sure I will do some side by side comparisons before the M10M goes up for sale, but I agree, the M11 “chassis“ is superior.

amur99

Anyone using the m11 grip with the m11m? Are you able to insert and take out the battery with the grip on?

DaveS

Anyone using the m11 grip with the m11m? Are you able to insert and take out the battery with the grip on?
Yes, using M11 (Color - not M) with grip and battery works well. It has has tight tolerances so if you tighten the grip slightly on an angle (which is hard to do since it fits into place well) you can make it bump a bit. Also, I like the built in Arca Swiss and also especially how light it is, so you hardly notice it.

Dave S

algrove

I use the grip from day one and it is the best Leica grip so far. Not sure about mis- alignment comment since this grip has a pin that inserts into M11 (M) base to prevent swiveling of grip on the camera base.

Sure tight fit, but battery and SD card access no issue. One can even use USB-C port with grip attached plus grip has its own screw mechanism that then folds flush with grip base after attaching to camera.

amur99

I just picked up a new grip - now it’s good. I think the other one was not sitting flush, which wouldn’t allow me to insert or remove the battery.

algrove

Forgot to mention above images were not finalized and have not been sharpened, but probably lens correction on-must check that. Next will experiment with -2 to 4 EV and then bring up exp 2-4 stops depending on shot plus shadows up, H/L down, whites up, blacks down a bit and something I seldom do is increase clarity and perhaps dehaze. That is all for the future. High ISO noise seems tight and well controlled on its own, but again will see about sharpening images a bit.

dave.gt

Wow!, now that is not what I expected to see in a glacier! 👍👍👍Nice work, I’ve never tried to capture any kind of ice sculpture image!

algrove

I took the téléphérique up to the top right next to the Matterhorn itself and went into a tunnel that had been carved in the glacier. The tunnel actually went down into the ice which I did not fully realize until I left and felt the climb was so steep I had to stop and catch my breath at that altitude. I have more sculptures to process.