The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ5 rumors

rdeloe

How many megapixels does one need to take pictures of one's cat? Inquiring minds want to know.
I wondered about that too, and apparently we are not alone because I found an online calculator. It seems to vary by type of cat. The average number of MP needed to reveal the full glory of the feline is 247. For a Siamese, it's 275 MP -- so it sounds like an IQ5 will be in the sweet spot.

hcubell

I wondered about that too, and apparently we are not alone because I found an online calculator. It seems to vary by type of cat. The average number of MP needed to reveal the full glory of the feline is 247. For a Siamese, it's 275 MP -- so it sounds like an IQ5 will be in the sweet spot.
My only concern is that the next high megapixel system has to be available in a shopping mall.

Ray Harrison

While we're devolving, it's possible that Soup via @MGrayson has strong opinions on the subject. I've found him to be a discerning feline as far as both his photographer and photographs in general are concerned. Does he feel that 275MP is appropriate to capture "cat-ness" in all its furry glory? Is there an upper bound?

tcdeveau

We’ve got an 80 lb Great Pyrenees puppy in addition to two cats, I’m good there lol.

I’m out on the IQ5. My forays in the medium format world will be a generation or two behind whatever current gen is from here on out. If they held financial value better I’d consider it. The IQ4 platform fit my needs fine anyway.

PeterA

I enjoyed reading your article on generative Ai.

PeterA

Thank you Peter. It's been four months since I wrote it, so it's probably completely out of date already. :( The pace of change in that field is incredible.
I think the article will have 'legs' for some time as you have nicely framed quite a few of the issues worthy of consideration.

tbh - I put Ai generated stuff in the same basket as overly processed stuff - both lack, because they both evidence too much of - if you get my drift.

Abstraction

I propose we leave it to Soup and his master @MGrayson (or is it the other way around) to inform us of the Nyquist limit dictated by his fur and therefore the number of pixels (or rather pixel pitch) required to resolve them sans moiré. :ROFLMAO:

John
I think Soup is a ventriloquist and he uses Matt as a vehicle to espouse his very deep and profound thoughts on various subjects - photographic and otherwise.

rdeloe

I think Soup is a ventriloquist and he uses Matt as a vehicle to espouse his very deep and profound thoughts on various subjects - photographic and otherwise.
Good point. I thought Matt was the wizard and Soup was the familiar, but now I'm wondering if it's the other way around. Hmmm.

cunim

Soup thinks that going from film to digital was a bad idea. I sometimes catch him browsing 8x10 cameras on eBay.
You know, Soup and I seem to be going through the same mental process. This might deserve a thread of its own so I'll throw out a fly and see if the fish bite.