The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Live view support for Capture One for iPad / iPhone Version 2.3.0

Yes, it does. Even without the GFX plugged in. I can press the button, the live feed window shows up, but the feed itself stays black. I'll try to film it.
Really strange. But if you look at it positively, it's only the live feed itself that's missing, and Cascable has proven that the live feed actually works.
So let's hope Capture One fixes this within a couple of years :)

Mexecutioner

Really strange. But if you look at it positively, it's only the live feed itself that's missing, and Cascable has proven that the live feed actually works.
So let's hope Capture One fixes this within a couple of years :)
True, good way to start 2026! A shame, because the rest of the interface is not bad.

Paul Spinnler

I think you'll need an IQ5 with up to date SoC to really see a system which makes sense I/O wise in terms of battery endurance, connection speed and reliability, etc.

I'd imagine if you incorporate latest I/O tech with a more efficient SoC you could get high frame rate live view, wireless transfer and bluetooth remote triggering all at once.

I am afraid that's gonna cost 25k with trrade in though in 2025. I've given up the hope for a satisfying "handheld mirrorless" experience with the current gen of IQ4 backs. The HDMI, etc. is there, but the speed, battery drain etc. make it not worthwhile atm. Unfortunately.

The IQ4 is a superb tripod based digital back, but the lack of a satisfying EVF experience is a bummer.

Reactions: BFD
Pretty sure it is a hardware issue. When they hurriedly introduced the IQ4 and decided they would roll out features as they had time to properly implement them, they did not realize whatever wifi/video component they decided to put in the back actually cannot do what we need. They keep promising live view, etc. but obviously cannot figure it out and are probably trying to program/hack around some limitation in the components they used in the back. The system in the IQ3 works flawlessly so at this point any high school kid could have just ported that code over to the IQ4 but it's not that simple since the IQ4 hardware is the problem. You won't see a good solution until the IQ5 (if they ever do one) at which point they could source a component that will work. This, of course, is all speculation but 5 years in I can't think of any other reason they can't get it done.
That's probably why we don't have zero latency mode either. I have no regrets getting the IQ4 but could actually shoot a lot faster on my Credo using Copal. I never foresaw that as being a problem but trying to catch an expression/movement (people in scenes, architectural photography) is quite difficult on the IQ4 in comparison. The e-shutter works if everyone is still but that means manually closing the lens for dark frame, taking shots forgetting I had the lens closed from the last shot (habit of using Copal), looking like an idiot in front of clients when I keep taking photos of nothing or messed up dark-frame-opened-the-shutter shots.
I was excited for the mobile version of C1 but it's dead in the water for me anyway, without proper sessions it's useless. On a multi day shoot I need to work from my existing session that I might have already made adjustments and selections in on my main workstation. I need to create LCCs, have backups running, all sorts of things that C1 mobile doesn't have. The fact there's no live view really seals the deal.

cunim

A little story about C1, Apple, and the new mobile app.

I clicked on the free trial button. That took me to some sort of Apple app payment page and I went through whatever it was to download the app. That included paying for the subscription via Paypal. Proceeded to try the app. Fail.

So I went back to the app store to get my refund. Nope. I am subscribed and see nothing about a free trial opt-out. Just the usual cancellation of my one month subscription. Something is broken between C1's free trial button and Apple's fulfilment process. So I send a message to C1 support and ask for a refund of my $6 payment. They tell me all issues are handled by Apple so I contact them and they tell it's not their problem. Contact the seller through Paypal. Wait, who is the seller? Is there a human at Paypal?

;As you can see, I was about to get into one of those online support nightmares. I wrote back to C1 telling them I had better things to do and that I expected a refund from them. That was some days ago and no reply. C1 support has been taking up to two weeks to get back to me on any real issue (that's a different problem) so I expect I will hear back at some point. They do try to work with the limited support resources they have. Thing is, I am doing them a solid by pointing out a problem in their fulfilment process.

I don't care about the US$6 payament - though it is a gazillion Canadian dollars. I am not complaining about the useless app. I just want C1 to get their commercial ducks in a row and clean up the app store interaction.

cunim

Well, C1 refused the refund., and that's OK. Today, I went through the QR reader to get onto the C1 site for mobile, and then that took me to the app store where I was able to download the app without paying. That's different than what happened last time. Either they changed the process, or I may have downloaded by getting the link from the C1 web site the last time. Anyway, this time I have a version of the app without paying. Still a fail, though. Can't get it to work with my GFX either, though I don't tether that so it doesn't matter.

I wish C1 well with the app, and look forward to using it when (if) they and P1 make it actually work.

Whisp3r

I would be interested to see what results you get when you get your camera and lens at the end of the month. I will connect another camera and see if the Liveview button "wakes up".
No surprises here I reckon: it's still black, all-black. No live feed :-/ Same as before, except this time round there's a camera body (RM3di) and a lens (SK 43XL) attached. Oh well!

Paul Spinnler

Only on my iPhone so far and I can't test because I don't have a cord that fits.
Hopefully soon also for iPad.
That's interesting ... if it is lag free we are getting closer to an EVF solution pathway with the Zacuto iPhone holder.

Triggering hand-held besides touching the screen with your thumb and having to look at it for this reason is the other point to crack ...

Ray Harrison

That's interesting ... if it is lag free we are getting closer to an EVF solution pathway with the Zacuto iPhone holder.

Triggering hand-held besides touching the screen with your thumb and having to look at it for this reason is the other point to crack ...
It's not lag-free and I found I definitely wanted to use ethernet when testing it as the lag is very noticeable over WiFi, at least in beta. Cascable had a better WiFi performance as far as live view was concerned, I felt.

Paul Spinnler

It's not lag-free and I found I definitely wanted to use ethernet when testing it as the lag is very noticeable over WiFi, at least in beta. Cascable had a better WiFi performance as far as live view was concerned, I felt.
That's a bummer. I really think it comes down to hardware at this stage.

How can DJI produce FPV drones which are fast as a car and have miles-long range and real-time feeds while the IQ4 cannot even produce a fluid live view connection with the latest iPhones.

That's 2018 tech not being able to perform. And of course no one is going to do hardware level programming to make it work this late in the product cycle.

A good to-do for the IQ5 to implement latest WIFI and Bluetooth chips so you can get proper live view and trigger the back via new handles.

They need to add a live view 100% navigation joystick accessory though so you can properly navigate 250 megapixels.

Paul Spinnler

I love the fist, Melvin.

So maybe with the Zacuto viewfinder iPhone holder and an Ethernet cable it could work nicely.

I don't see the use so much with an iPad if you can have full C1 and a feather light IPad Air. There's a lot of valuable stuff in the full version, including profiles, for example.

But the live view via ethernet looks smooth at least! And if you have an iPad mini with Sim card you can do remote file syncing which is also cool.

Mexecutioner

I have an iPad problem, I have a Pro 12.9, a Pro 11 and a Mini v6. I love the 12.9 size for this, but also the mini fits in my pocket, so I think I will be using that one the most. A bit bigger than my iPhone Pro Max, and still light and small enough.

akaru

Okay. Live view works. With some quirks. No double tap to go 100%, no pinch to zoom.
Here are some quick vids (so quick, in fact, that I decided not to clean my iPad screen, soooo sorry):

C1 Mobile on IQ4 - live view

C1 Mobile on IQ4 - transfer speed
Perfectly communicated. So live view works with ethernet but not USB, or did I misunderstand that? I went and bought a USB-C phone in the hopes that I could soon connect it up to the IQ4.