The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New technical camera from Cambo

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The ultimate view camera 🤣

But I do appreciate what this can do. I love my Actus but this is the big bad daddy view camera.

No, its half the weight of the Ultima but double the weight of the small Actus DB2, , thats my camera too. It is clever made, so you can dissamble the front and the back so much easier to transport than the old Actus XL f.e. Since it's part of a systemic approach you can choose what you want. I am not a sales people of Cambo, so it's to get knowledge of a new view camera which is, you may agree, a rare occurrence these days. In the studio it may offer advantages so isn't it a good sign of a healthy narket and a clever company supportung photographers?

Makten

Don't they all do the same thing?
Nope, the standard Actus doesn't have tilt/swing on the rear standard and no rise/fall/shift on the front standard, for example.
You can achieve the same results, but with a bit more fiddling.

Steve Hendrix

Cambo likes to launch soft openings ... We thought this was being released today, but they snuck it in a week ago ....

So we do have some content and perspective on this new camera, and it is available for order now.

Introducing the Cambo Actus MV

Cambo Actus MV FAQ

About fiddling ... One person's "fiddling" is another person's pain in the ass time suck. No client of mine that ever shot full featured view camera in a production setting was happy to use a less featured view camera, at least in the studio. The ability to set up the shot and then creatively do whatever you want is a lot different than setting up a shot to get an effect but then needing to reset your movements as you make creative decisions.

Steve Hendrix/CI

mota25

I just wish there were more videos or technical articles to explain how one can use this Cambo actus with GFX. Hard to find any details as to what I need, what lenses are available, pros/cons of different options (G, GFX and now this MV). Maybe the user base is too small and people buying these already know what to get. But if you wan to expand this to new users like me, it doesn't help. I was only able to find 2 videos from couple of yrs ago and in those the reviewer was complaining about mechanical tolerance issues.

Steve Hendrix

I just wish there were more videos or technical articles to explain how one can use this Cambo actus with GFX. Hard to find any details as to what I need, what lenses are available, pros/cons of different options (G, GFX and now this MV). Maybe the user base is too small and people buying these already know what to get. But if you wan to expand this to new users like me, it doesn't help. I was only able to find 2 videos from couple of yrs ago and in those the reviewer was complaining about mechanical tolerance issues.

There are 7 articles that I have written about the Actus series referenced in my last article. If I can be of help, please reach out to me.

Thank you,
Steve Hendrix/CI

WeiW

I read about the series of Actus mini articles and one thing still confuses me. If I have a Rodenstock/Schneider lens in Copal shutter without any lens plate, how do I connect the Actus lens plate with the lens then? Do I partially disassemble the lens and reassemble after introducing the Actus lens plate? Sorry for the dumb question but never used or handled Actus series before. I'm interested in a Actus Mini B6 which is for Sony and currently have a A7 IV. I'm not sure if the A7 IV has too large handle that block the usage with Actus mini below.

Regards,

Wei
There are 7 articles that I have written about the Actus series referenced in my last article. If I can be of help, please reach out to me.

Thank you,
Steve Hendrix/CI

rdeloe

I read about the series of Actus mini articles and one thing still confuses me. If I have a Rodenstock/Schneider lens in Copal shutter without any lens plate, how do I connect the Actus lens plate with the lens then? Do I partially disassemble the lens and reassemble after introducing the Actus lens plate? Sorry for the dumb question but never used or handled Actus series before. I'm interested in a Actus Mini B6 which is for Sony and currently have a A7 IV. I'm not sure if the A7 IV has too large handle that block the usage with Actus mini below.

Regards,

Wei
This is from the Large Format Photography Forum, but all the info is directly relevant. About 1/3rd of the way down the article explains the answer to your question.

TimoK

I'm interested in a Actus Mini B6 which is for Sony and currently have a A7 IV. I'm not sure if the A7 IV has too large handle that block the usage with Actus mini below.

Regards,

Wei
Actus Mini works well with A7RIV. I don't know if A7IV (without R) has bigger handle.

Steve Hendrix

Is this not similar to the long standing Arca M Line?

They're both view cameras of course, but they have some similarities and some differences, and the MV occupies a new slot in the Cambo universe that Arca Swiss addressed in theirs with the M2, which was a lighter view camera than the M Monolith, segmenting the movements to account for that. Cambo didn't really have such an offering - they have the Actus B/Actus DB/Actus G models, which are among the lightest and smallest view cameras anywhere, and the Ultima, which was the heavy duty, more studio-oriented view camera, but nothing in between. The MV fills that void.

Steve Hendrix/CI