The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z8

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If the Z8 is what I expect it to be, it looks to me as a continuation of the D700 - D810 - D850 lineage, all large, "physical" cameras that according to Nikon tradition could double as a chair or a weapon, whatever needs you may have. To me, the Z7, as good as it is, isn't it. That is more like a D750 with more pixels.

I consider retiring within the next year, at least halfway (for the second time), and the question is if this would be a good retirement camera, one that I could bring everywhere to enjoy pixel peeping at a hitherto unknown level. Maybe even taking a good photo now and then. The alternative would be something Panasonic, even staying with the MFT setup that I currently use. On the other hand, one only lives twice (Or so it seems, One life for yourself, And one for your dreams), so why not use the same camera in real life as in my dreams?

There's space in my Billingham. We will see.

Swissblad

I recall being totally enthralled by the D700 - finally a decent digital replacement of our film SLRs - in the subsequent years we have used both FX pro-bodies (D4, D5) and dx prosumer (D500) - before migrating to the Z9 a year ago.....and what a ride that has been...from sheer frustration to elation - depending on the firmware update ;) - while enjoying the unexpected bonus of features like 8K video for macro image stacking!
At the moment I'm in no rush to to get the Z8 - it will largely depend on price - and our needs - but if it is of the same lineage as the D700/D800/D850 - then it will be a powerful workhorse, not shy of any task thrown its way.

Darin Marcus

Indeed, the current rumors point toward a mirrorless D850. As Thom Hogan wrote recently, Nikon might be more interested in transitioning their remaining DSLR users to the Z mount with such a camera than in competing with other camera makers. I hope they succeed!

Meanwhile, I will patiently wait for the Z6 III 😀

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
According to Nikon Rumors, it will be more or less a Z9 without the grip, and with a price to match (EUR/USD 4,500). That's a bit disappointing if true. The D850 can now be had for less than USD 2,000 here in Thailand (grey import, but still), and for photography use, it would totally satisfy my needs. The D850 even comes with "real" shutter sound.

Photon42

If the Z8 is what I expect it to be, it looks to me as a continuation of the D700 - D810 - D850 lineage, all large, "physical" cameras that according to Nikon tradition could double as a chair or a weapon, whatever needs you may have. To me, the Z7, as good as it is, isn't it. That is more like a D750 with more pixels.

I consider retiring within the next year, at least halfway (for the second time), and the question is if this would be a good retirement camera, one that I could bring everywhere to enjoy pixel peeping at a hitherto unknown level. Maybe even taking a good photo now and then. The alternative would be something Panasonic, even staying with the MFT setup that I currently use. On the other hand, one only lives twice (Or so it seems, One life for yourself, And one for your dreams), so why not use the same camera in real life as in my dreams?

There's space in my Billingham. We will see.
You start your second life when you realise, that you only have one ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You start your second life when you realise, that you only have one ...
I can assure you that I've had several rich, rewarding lives. The next one, my retirement life, starts this year, with the freedom to work with what I want, as much as I want and when I want.

Photon42

Indeed, the current rumors point toward a mirrorless D850. As Thom Hogan wrote recently, Nikon might be more interested in transitioning their remaining DSLR users to the Z mount with such a camera than in competing with other camera makers. I hope they succeed!

Meanwhile, I will patiently wait for the Z6 III 😀
I also do hope the best for them. I won't jump on the Z8 this year - got enough toys around to play with at the moment and the Z7 for me honestly is completely flawless.

jduncan

The Z8 seems to be coming soon ......

I am crossing my fingers, so to speak.
We know Nikon depends on Sony, and we also know they need a fast readout sensor in other to get close to the AF performance of Canon and Sony ( even the mid-range ones) That mean Nikon can't produce a breakout camera. What they can do is target a suit price performance target.
This camera is likely to be with us at least 3 years, in that time Canon and Sony will introduce new machines (unless we fall into a depression) with new sensors, and new AF capabilities like the one on the A7R-V. The other thing Nikon could do is a fantastic video. The Z9 already has impressive video capabilities.

If I could dream I will love to see a MF camera with the same mount, a kind of Z8 with the Z9 sensor, and a. Z8m even if the AF will be at the Z7 II level. (good enough for most portraits and landscapes) A combo like that will attract new buyers for sure.

I am counting the days, and it could be in my list for December.
Best regards,

paladin

We know Nikon depends on Sony, and we also know they need a fast readout sensor in other to get close to the AF performance of Canon and Sony ( even the mid-range ones) That mean Nikon can't produce a breakout camera. What they can do is target a suit price performance target.
yes, Nikon does rely on Sony for its foundry work and baseline available tech. design wise though its Nikon. i do enjoy working with the z9. in my work it performs at a much higher level than i expected. it makes my usage overall easier. it helps me get the shots i want and need. i want a camera that un-limits me. i have little doubt what nikon comes out with will do the job.

_DS96466_DxO copy-X3.jpg

Last edited:

jduncan

The previews are coming:
The price is off. If they wanted market share the price should be below the A7R V price.
Best regards.

Photon42

Here in Switzerland they sell the Z8 roughly for 800 Alpendollars less than the Z9. This in my eyes is at the first place a camera for existing Nikon users, who were waiting for the Z version of the 850. I would say the price is high, but I am pretty certain the Z8 will sell like hot cakes. I am sure there is an update coming for other bodies, too.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Here in Switzerland they sell the Z8 roughly for 800 Alpendollars less than the Z9. This in my eyes is at the first place a camera for existing Nikon users, who were waiting for the Z version of the 850. I would say the price is high, but I am pretty certain the Z8 will sell like hot cakes. I am sure there is an update coming for other bodies, too.
For a Nikon it would be too expensive for my purposes of photography.

I wish Nikon high sales and all the best anyways.

Photon42

It looks like a really cool camera 🤷‍♂️ If I would still have a D850 and wanting to move to the Z system, I would definitely pull the trigger now.

Swissblad

My take is that the Z8 is aimed squarely at existing loyal Nikon DSLR users, and getting them finally to switch to the Z system.....hence, the hefty d850 like body, ensuring that haptics remain familiar. Specs wise it's a dream....I wish them every success with their endeavour.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The previews are coming:
The price is off. If they wanted market share the price should be below the A7R V price.
Best regards.
Ummm... the price difference is $100. I don't think that matters much for a camera that will mostly be part of a system that costs $10k+.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The relation between the Z9 and the Z8 reminds me quite a bit of the D3/D700 situation, both incredibly successful cameras. If I were still running around with heavy gear to create images and video in challenging situations and environments, this would be a no-brainer for me. I honestly can't see any competitors at all. The Z8 has it all:

- Excellent image quality
- Excellent video quality, including in-camera RAW, without cropping
- Fantastic ergonomics including top LCD
- Very sturdy build quality and weather sealing
- Reasonable price
- No overheating

Sony wins when it comes to battery life, and they still offer somewhat better AF. The first item can be a challenge, the latter not so much. Canon urgently needs to launch an R5 II without overheating, which is a big challenge in the tropical region where I live.

If I'm going to consider full frame, it's either this or the Panasonic S5 II X which is half the price. They are both cameras that hit it out of the park and past the parking lot.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
There seems to be already lot of interest for the Z8, right ....

First here another great review from Bobby Tonelli

Well the Z8 is obviously a baby Z9. Which is great! Ticks all the boxes right? At least most of them!

I think it is a very good camera, maybe one of the best digital cameras available today. And I think that Nikon will have great success with it and the Z system in the coming years. Finally a capable digital camera which is not too small, or plastic feeling like so many others, even if their AF is marginally better ..... so would it be right for me?

You might have already seen that I am a bit sceptical to say the least but this has mostly to do with the complete Z system evolution and not the Z8. The direction into what the Z system has been evolved over the past years is stellar, but not for me anymore. Far too big lenses (S 1.2 85, several tele lenses etc.), a S 1.2 50 which is a monster, etc. - and now the Z8 which fits exactly into that philosophy, perfect fit! But I think no longer for me .....

Last edited:

Photon42

I see your point regarding the development of uber lenses, Peter. The personal limit for things I do is certainly below the size of that 1.2/50 from Nikon. A friend of mine has it and there were numerous possibilities to pick one up almost half price, but this thing is just too much for me. However, Nikon also produces their 1.8 lineup, which I personally enjoy very much. And I own the some wonderful AFS-lenses, like the 1.4/58, which I can fully use on the Z cameras.

I do not think Nikon is now going high prices. They are just now releasing what was missing. Canon went the other way and released their fast lenses early. Look at some of the zoom lenses Nikon have brought to market recently. Give it a little time and Nikon will release updated versions of the Z7 and Z6. If you look closely, the Z system has something for lots of people. Used Z7s sell here for around 1000 Francs. With the adapter, it can use all types of legacy glass, which can also be had for little money.
And you can go for the Z9 with three 2.8 Z zooms ... Large offering bracket.