The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z8

biglouis

Once again, I personally think, Nikon has missed the point of a mirroless camera. 910g weight? Is it designed as dual purpose so you can use the body to punch in nails?

I thought I might be tempted away from my Fuji X-H2S (used exclusively for wildlife) with the Z8 but one major benefit of mirrorless shooting (which I've been doing since 2010) is lightweight compact bodies and lightweight lenses. The Z8 fails at the first hurdle for me: size and weight.

At this rate I'd be more likely to buy the excellent Nikon 400f4.5, a Finger adapter and use it on my X-H2S.

Flame me if you like but just my two cents.

LouisB

Last edited:

Swissblad

I don't see what all the whining is about....the Z8 is ≈ 400g lighter than the Z9 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good luck finding an adapter for Z lenses....:cool:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Once again, I personally think, Nikon has missed the point of a mirroless camera. 910g weight? Is it designed as dual purpose so you can use the body to punch in nails?

I thought I might be tempted away from my Fuji X-H2S (used exclusively for wildlife) with the Z8 but one major benefit of mirrorless shooting (which I've been doing since 2010) is lightweight compact bodies and lightweight lenses. The Z8 fails at the first hurdle for me: size and weight.

At this rate I'd be more likely to buy the excellent Nikon 400f4.5, a Finger adapter and use it on my X-H2S.

LouisB
The point with mirrorless cameras is to offer better functionality than DSLRs. Lighter weight and smaller size is an added benefit with some of them, but some people actually prefer a more substantial body for the better ergonomics, in addition to the advantage of better cooling. Lenses are as larger and heavy as ever, so a few hundred grams on the body size doesn't matter that much. With a heavy telephoto lens, a heavier body with a larger grip mostly balances better.

If you lust for that 400mm on a smaller body, just wait for the Z7 III. I'm sure it will offer many of the features of the Z8... in a year or so. Apart from that, your X-H2S weighs only 250g less than the Z8. What's the weight of an adapter?

Photon42

It could be that at the moment they cannot technically produce a 60MP sensor camera with electronic shutter on that performance level. I can actually imagine Nikon comes out with some Z camera with 60MP and mechanical shutter, potentially something like a Z7 III with a very similar form factor.

Darin Marcus

It could be that at the moment they cannot technically produce a 60MP sensor camera with electronic shutter on that performance level. I can actually imagine Nikon comes out with some Z camera with 60MP and mechanical shutter, potentially something like a Z7 III with a very similar form factor.
Thom Hogan's current theory is that both the Z6III and the Z7III are supposed to get new sensors, which were not yet ready, so the Z8 was announced instead...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Pretty sure the new sensors for a Z7III and Z6III were not available - the will come in maybe a year timeframe from now.

WRT body size and weight, I also had preferred that to be a bit less than the Z8, but I definitely would vote for a bit larger bodies in the new Z7 and Z6 cameras. One big thing to choose Nikon over Sony and/or Canon was their always pretty perfectly balanced camera bodies, so I think Nikon is on the right way here.

I kind of imagine that the Z7III will have a 60MP stacked sensor, which might get real and ready in that one year time frame. Imagine a Z7III with 60MP without any mechanical shutter and read out speeds as fast as the Z9/Z8 - that should be a pretty winning combination.

Swissblad

Tom Hogan sums it up pretty well

"It seems that no matter what a camera maker does, some users will find things to complain about. Frankly, I’m not complaining about the Z8. It appears to be an excellent camera for the price, and is now in the running for my current best all-around camera choice."

Photon42

Somehow I changed my mind ... sold my Fujifilm Pro-3, lenses and the Z7 and acquired the Z8. After a couple of days I have to say this is exactly the form factor I was hoping it is. I had a D810 before the Z7 and really liked the larger size. Third party batteries aren't working with the Z8, so be aware of that, maybe. Not sure it will be changed.

Swissblad

Somehow I changed my mind ... sold my Fujifilm Pro-3, lenses and the Z7 and acquired the Z8. After a couple of days I have to say this is exactly the form factor I was hoping it is. I had a D810 before the Z7 and really liked the larger size. Third party batteries aren't working with the Z8, so be aware of that, maybe. Not sure it will be changed.
Have fun with your new camera...I had the opportunity to have a quick look at a Z8 today.....and I really like it...same form factor makes it feel very comfortable in the hands.

jduncan

I already have a D850 and a Z7II. I don't do video, or shoot fast-moving sport, so I'll stick with what I have. If it had been 60 megapixel I might have been tempted!
I believe you are doing a good call, the Z7 II image quality is a little bit better because of the stacked CMOS sensor, so all the better for you. If you have a bunch of adapter lenses I
will still take a look at the Z8, and maybe rent it to see if it's compelling enough.

There is no sensor Nikon can use for the Z8 that is 60 megapixels. As I have explained before (and notice that the Z8 is exactly the camera I say it will be) Nikon software is not as advanced as Sony's. They can't build a modern focusing system without a fast readout sensor (I hope eventually they will). If they had selected the 60mega pixels sensor Nikon will go broke, because
the Z9 will not mean "Nikon is back, or has competitive AF" but Nikon is still using two generation-old technology and the Z9 is an anomaly. So Nikon did not have a choice.

Nikon will like to have additional Sensor suppliers but they have none (Samsung could be one).

Nikon has between 10% and 15% market share, I am skeptical that this kind of volume will warranty the investment needed to keep up with Sony.

So we got what we got, and it's a very nice package. It's also earlier so Nikon will be able to sell a bunch of Z8 before Canon and Sony upgrades.

Best regards,

ptomsu

Workshop Member

LouisB
Size and Weight .... always the same issues which come up in such a contra dictionary way ....

I agree that these matter but the opposite are small (too small) cameras that are as a consequence also lighter. For me the Nikon Z7II was just too small to handle perfectly, especially with larger lenses (70-200/2.8 or 24-70/2.8). I almost never used the excellent lenses beaches of the for my feelings not matching sizes and weights.

What put me completely off from the Nikon mirrorless Z road was finally the ever so increasing lens weights and sizes like the 1.2 (50 and 85) which are both excellent and top IQ but I simply would almost NEVER carry those around other than in a studio, where I meanwhile do almost never shoot again. But Nikon is not the only one with that size weight problem, Canon is maybe even more guilty ;)

The XH2S is at least one of the body form factors of Fuji that fits my hands perfectly and I also can survive with its weight. And also with the weight of most Fuji X lenses :)

tcdeveau

What put me completely off from the Nikon mirrorless Z road was finally the ever so increasing lens weights and sizes like the 1.2 (50 and 85) which are both excellent and top IQ but I simply would almost NEVER carry those around other than in a studio, where I meanwhile do almost never shoot again. But Nikon is not the only one with that size weight problem, Canon is maybe even more guilty ;)

The XH2S is at least one of the body form factors of Fuji that fits my hands perfectly and I also can survive with its weight. And also with the weight of most Fuji X lenses :)
I recently liquidated my Nikon kit, and this is partially the reason. Finally came around to the idea that the Z9 kit was too big and heavy for what I was using it for - pics of my family.

I waited for years for the 85 1.2, received my order, put it on the Z9, and in my head went "I don't want to carry this around." So 85 was returned and kit sold.

Family pics are pretty much the only reason I'm still shooting with/holding on to a sub-medium format system. Last trip I took with my family I also found it much more enjoyable to shoot with the Fuji X series than the Nikon - much easier to grab and go, and put way less stress on my wrists/hands/etc from holding. The IQ is also stellar for snapshots/portraits/etc. Planning to check out the XH2S and 56mm 1.2 mkII at some point myself when the piggy bank refills.

Back to the Z8 - it looks stellar, and in hindsight, the Z8 and the 1.8 lenses were probably the better fit for my needs instead of the Z9, but the Z8 wasn't available when I bought the Z9 and I've moved on for the time being.

biglouis

Size and Weight .... always the same issues which come up in such a contra dictionary way ....

I agree that these matter but the opposite are small (too small) cameras that are as a consequence also lighter. For me the Nikon Z7II was just too small to handle perfectly, especially with larger lenses (70-200/2.8 or 24-70/2.8). I almost never used the excellent lenses beaches of the for my feelings not matching sizes and weights.

I wouldn't want to be seen as 'trolling' the Nikon Z8. If I was even ten years younger I'd be tempted. But at 67 years old with a dodgy knee and a weak back, weight is absolutely key for me. I guess that's why I was disappointed with the body weight of the Z8. I suppose I was hoping for a Z6/7 form factor. It's a personal problem and by no means detracts from what looks to me like a fantastic camera. Due to my health issue I have seriously thought recently of returning to m43rds to reduce carry weight even further. I even keep keep a spreadsheet where I compare weights of combinations of kit suitable for wildlife photography:

Z8+400f4.5+TC1.4x = 2375g (not so bad compared to...)
X-H2S+100-400+TC1.4 (my current kit) = 2165g
X-H2S+150-600 = 2265g (closest weight to the Nikon combo using Fuji body)
Canon R6+100-500+TC1.4x = 2269g (a serious contender but no stacked sensor, not sure I could ever go back from a stacked sensor once you experience no rolling shutter when panning)
Canon R3+100-500+TC1.4x = 2607g (my leg would probably drop off carrying that weight but regarded universally as the best wildlife camera combo out there, however no pre-shot????)
Sony A7IV+200-600 = 2773g (obnoxiously heavy which is wasn't expecting but the 200-600 is a heavy lens)
OM systems OM-1+100-400 = 1719g (Obviously, the winner if weight is a deciding factor and in my case may very well be in another couple of years)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wouldn't want to be seen as 'trolling' the Nikon Z8. If I was even ten years younger I'd be tempted. But at 67 years old with a dodgy knee and a weak back, weight is absolutely key for me. I guess that's why I was disappointed with the body weight of the Z8. I suppose I was hoping for a Z6/7 form factor. It's a personal problem and by no means detracts from what looks to me like a fantastic camera. Due to my health issue I have seriously thought recently of returning to m43rds to reduce carry weight even further. I even keep keep a spreadsheet where I compare weights of combinations of kit suitable for wildlife photography:

Z8+400f4.5+TC1.4x = 2375g (not so bad compared to...)
X-H2S+100-400+TC1.4 (my current kit) = 2165g
X-H2S+150-600 = 2265g (closest weight to the Nikon combo using Fuji body)
Canon R6+100-500+TC1.4x = 2269g (a serious contender but no stacked sensor, not sure I could ever go back from a stacked sensor once you experience no rolling shutter when panning)
Canon R3+100-500+TC1.4x = 2607g (my leg would probably drop off carrying that weight but regarded universally as the best wildlife camera combo out there, however no pre-shot????)
Sony A7IV+200-600 = 2773g (obnoxiously heavy which is wasn't expecting but the 200-600 is a heavy lens)
OM systems OM-1+100-400 = 1719g (Obviously, the winner if weight is a deciding factor and in my case may very well be in another couple of years)
I've been telling myself for many years that weight and size isn't an issue. However, whenever I consider upgrading my "long" combo, the Panasonic G9 with the diminutive 100-300mm (1,180g) to something full frame, memories of the D810 with 200-500mm f/5.6 combo that I used to have (3,280g) tend to appear at the back of my head. The bag that I used to carry the Nikon combo plus a couple of other lenses in now rooms 3 bodies and 7-8 lenses at less weight.

For paid work, it doesn't matter much, since on those occasions I'm hauling so much gear anyway. But all the times I'm just going somewhere and take a camera with me just in case, size and weight is very important. The result for me has become that I stay with the small kit, and run the photos through DXO and/or Topaz when the quality isn't satisfactory. It would be nice to have both, but money isn't unlimited.

tcdeveau

I just turned 40 and my back is terrible, a major consideration that goes into the gear equation these days sadly. Threw it out last month two days before I was supposed to walk in my law school graduation and go on vacation, had to go to the dr and get steroids just to be able to walk and move and ultimately get on the plane and go traveling. Took about 2 weeks to get better and is still giving me issues :( It's a chronic issue, so I'm going to be dealing with it the rest of my life....having two toddlers currently right now is not good for it at all....

biglouis

I just turned 40 and my back is terrible, a major consideration that goes into the gear equation these days sadly. Threw it out last month two days before I was supposed to walk in my law school graduation and go on vacation, had to go to the dr and get steroids just to be able to walk and move and ultimately get on the plane and go traveling. Took about 2 weeks to get better and is still giving me issues :( It's a chronic issue, so I'm going to be dealing with it the rest of my life....having two toddlers currently right now is not good for it at all....
Completely sympathise. I was 38 when my back went on me and I was pretty much disabled for about 6 months (during which the company I worked for decided to make me redundant!). Not fun. Good news is, as you grow older your vertebrae fuse and perversely the pain reduces and I suspect the back is less fragile. Something to look forward to!

In the meantime I wish you better health.

LouisB

Photon42

Lots of complaints about the Z system and the weighty and large lenses :cool: I bought the Z7 when it came out as a package with the 4/24-70. The Z7 with zoom was about the same size as the EM1 with its 2.8/12-40. Not sure about the weight anymore but from memory it was similar. What often gets forgotten: There are really good, relatively small and reasonably priced 1.8 lenses. The equivalent in an APSC system would be f/1.2. If have no plans buy any of the Nikon f/1.2 lenses. Too large for me. I still got three 1.4 lenses from the F legacy: 24/58/105. Yes - not the most modern lenses anymore, but I don't think I will ever sell them.