The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wow, Fuji is just making stuff: GFX100s, 80mm, X-E4, XF27, XF 70-300

biglouis

I have to admit that when I saw the price of the GFX100S in the UK, which is GBP5,499 I almost went for my credit card.

I'd have to trade in my GFX50R to part fund it but the price is highly competitive.

I really do not need a 100mpx sensor over the 50mpx in the 50R but it is the additional features e.g. IBIS, top panel display, mode wheel (with all those lovely customisable slots) landscape AND portrait articulating screen (the thing I most miss on the 50R body) and slightly faster continuous shooting speed at 5fps.

This camera looks like it could actually be used for event type work - a project of mine at present - and it would keep up with the action (unlike the 50R which struggles a lot and is the reason I use my X-T3/X-H1 instead).

Clearly if you are an action/sports photographer this is not for you but for landscape/architecture/reportage which is my work it really is highly compelling,

I thought I would not be interested but...

Just my two cents.

diforbes

Fuji made the right moves in MF. I wish it would update the 50r with IBIS and the latest processor. I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway having bought a 50r last summer :)

Shashin

I am interested in the XF70-300. The XF100-400 looks great, but is just too big for me, or at least not why I got into the X-system. The XF70-300 looks like a great travel telephoto.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Really great camera

You all know what - when I saw the release of the Sony A1 2 days ago I thought I must have one ....

But after that introduction of the GFX 100S yesterday it is very clear for me I need this one instead of the Sony and maybe this is the start for me to get back into MF again -after almost 10 years :):cool:(y)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Really great camera

You all know what - when I saw the release of the Sony A1 2 days ago I thought I must have one ....

But after that introduction of the GFX 100S yesterday it is very clear for me I need this one instead of the Sony and maybe this is the start for me to get back into MF again -after almost 10 years :):cool:(y)
The timing of the GFX100s launch was beyond perfect. The Sony went from being a "must have" to "do I really need 30 fps?" in two days.

biglouis

I can't get too excited about Sony products. I did have the A7, A7R and A7S but I sold them all when my cheap and cheerful Panasonic GX8 that I bought in an Amazon January sale turned out to be way easier and more enjoyable to use. Must be something wrong with me, I guess?

Just a crazy thought but with a GF 250/4 and a 100mpx sensor and 5fps - which at one time was more than respectable for wildlife action shots - if I cropped by 75% would I still have a 25mpx image the equivalent of a 800mm lens?

LouisB

pegelli

The timing of the GFX100s launch was beyond perfect. The Sony went from being a "must have" to "do I really need 30 fps?" in two days.
I think the two cameras cater to a quite different customer base. I don't think we'll see many Fuji's and certainly not the GF100's at the Olympics (if it goes ahead)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think the two cameras cater to a quite different customer base. I don't think we'll see many Fuji's and certainly not the GF100's at the Olympics (if it goes ahead)
Clearly not. The longest lens is around 200mm eqv., and 100MP isn't even desirable for sports. For what I do on he other hand, industrial, product and travel photography, it shreds the Sony and any other camera to pieces. I will survive just fine without it of course, but it would open up some very nice possibilities.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just to be clear -I really don't need this camera, but on the other side it reopens that feeling "this would be the perfect camera and system for the next 10 or so years".

I currently have the Nikon Z7 and the 2.8 24-70S which is a stunning combo and more than adequate for all I do - resolution, speed, AF etc. I will definitely add the 2.8 70-200S with the 2x Teleconverter soon, which gives me then all I really always wanted and needed for all my shooting, including wildlife, family and travel. And maybe later on the road add a Z9 or Z9 whatever comes and appeals to me.

I still own my Olympus system - which I probably will sell soon as it is only collecting dust since I acquired the Z7 and use that money for funding what I want for my Nikon Z system.

But then there is that Fuji GFX100s and this camera really appeals to me. It just looks gorgeous and handy and seems to have more than decent AF for a MF camera. And it brings that Fuji colours which I love and I see how much since I acquired the X100V a few months ago. Just a perfect way how Fuji renders images and meanwhile a blast working with the Files in Lightroom. So it might very well be that my next step after completing my Nikon system will be the GFX100s with one or two lenses - one of them being the 1.7/80 as these lenses are almost a bargain for MF AF lenses if you compare to Hasselblad and PhaseOne.

Anyway interesting possibilities that are coming down the road ....

biglouis

One feature which is putting me off is the 100mpx sensor. It puts a lot of strain on post processing. I could probably handle it but it is something I think all purchasers need to be aware of. It sounds like the camera produces upwards of 300mb tif files in post processing.

I can't help feeling that Fuji are letting themselves be influenced by the unnecessary 'mega-pixel' marketing game which seems to be influencing products more than it needs to be.

All power to Fuji if they do acquire market share by people easily influenced by features rather than benefits but is it sustainable?

There could be a rash of s/h 100s on the market a few months after initial purchases by 'gas' buyers realises (a) they can't easily photograph their kids with the camera, (b) it takes a lot of skill to use such a camera for anything that moves.

I feel confident I could exploit the benefits of the extra mpx but I'm still left wondering whether Fuji should have used all the progress in minimising components to create something like a small improvement in sensor size (60mpx?) to satisfy the desire (not need) of some but an IBIS improved smaller bodied 50sII, especially as one of the strongest features of the 50s is actually the ability to add the tilt swivel adapter (which you can't with the new 100s).

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One feature which is putting me off is the 100mpx sensor. It puts a lot of strain on post processing. I could probably handle it but it is something I think all purchasers need to be aware of. It sounds like the camera produces upwards of 300mb tif files in post processing.

I can't help feeling that Fuji are letting themselves be influenced by the unnecessary 'mega-pixel' marketing game which seems to be influencing products more than it needs to be.

All power to Fuji if they do acquire market share by people easily influenced by features rather than benefits but is it sustainable?

There could be a rash of s/h 100s on the market a few months after initial purchases by 'gas' buyers realises (a) they can't easily photograph their kids with the camera, (b) it takes a lot of skill to use such a camera for anything that moves.

I feel confident I could exploit the benefits of the extra mpx but I'm still left wondering whether Fuji should have used all the progress in minimising components to create something like a small improvement in sensor size (60mpx?) to satisfy the desire (not need) of some but an IBIS improved smaller bodied 50sII, especially as one of the strongest features of the 50s is actually the ability to add the tilt swivel adapter (which you can't with the new 100s).

Just my two cents.

LouisB
Each camera should of course come with a new M1 Mac to handle the processing of the files 😜

In one way, the file size is a dilemma. On the other hand, it can be useful sometimes, and a lower resolution sensor probably wouldn't make the camera significantly cheaper. It also reduces the need for a long telephoto lens, since it's possible to crop down to 25% and still have a file large enough for printing. Storage is cheap, and the camera uses relatively inexpensive SD cards, so all in all, it's a sensible proposition.

Shashin

I can crop a 24MP file down to 25% and still have enough pixels for printing. What is so special about 100MP? (Remember when the 22MP Phase P25+ back was the cat's meow?)

And to Louis point, it is just a disk hog. The GFX100S has only twice the resolution as the newly released X-4E. Pixel number keeps increasing, but with each increase, there are diminishing returns. At 100MP, 44" printers are just idling. How many people have bigger printers?

I think the GFX100S is a fine camera. But I am not really tempted by it.

Don Libby

I've now owned all the GFX lineup starting from the 50s, 50r and the 100. I sold the 50s shortly after getting the 100 then picked up the 50r for a lighter system. As much as I try I just don't like the 50r; the size and weight are fine I just don't like the controls. I do really like the 100 despite the weight/size. I had hoped that the 100 was going to be similar to the 50s in size and weight and held off buying it. I'm still pleased with the 100 however I have placed a preorder for the 100s as I see that as what I had hoped the original 100 was. I'm in the process of sell the 50r and will sell the 100 once I get the 100s.

I also like the new 80mm and might pick that up later once the dust settles.