The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

YT: Hasselblad 907x & CFV 100c - A journey with Ian Atkinson on location with Technical cameras

TechTalk

That was quite interesting to watch! Thank you for posting it! The behind the scenes footage made it all the more enjoyable.

f8orbust

And no report of banding ! Love the Techno BTW - goes under the radar a bit - but now with BSI sensors it must be a dream to use (e.g. no expensive helicals or T/S mounts).

rdeloe

And no report of banding ! Love the Techno BTW - goes under the radar a bit - but now with BSI sensors it must be a dream to use (e.g. no expensive helicals or T/S mounts).
I wondered about that (didn't mention banding).

Based on reports from users in this forum, the banding is present. He just didn't notice it because of the subject matter. The examples people have shared here are designed to make the banding obvious. Clear blue skies show the banding easily; a colourful building like the one Ian used can mask it effectively.

rdeloe

He had blue skies as well (from about 9:30). But, yes, he doesn't mention any banding...
From what I could tell, he was only using swing and tilt during the shoots that involved blue skies. The big shifts happened in that first shoot in front of the colourful building. He used the 40mm (I think?) to create a flat stitched pano of the building front.

wattsy

Ian Atkinson and LinhofStudio (a UK importer and distributor of various LF brands) have done one or two nicely made and enjoyable videos about the CFV backs but, make no mistake, they are promotional puff pieces. The videos are not impartial reviews and are not going to mention banding problems.

Geoff

They are promotional, and enjoyable. My understanding from Paula at Linhof Studio was that she had just become aware of the banding problem and was in touch with Hassy about it. Not likely they were aware of it when the video was made.

BigBoy

I dont know man this shoot seems very weird. The way the photographs were made it seems like it couldve been done in a studio.

B L

To be honest I was little uneasy seeing the photographer fully protected himself in bitter cold and asked those ladies to take their winter coats off. Why was it necessorry?

rdeloe

To be honest I was little uneasy seeing the photographer fully protected himself in bitter cold and asked those ladies to take their winter coats off. Why was it necessorry?
They are part of a club that goes swimming in the sea during winter. In Canada we have the Polar Bear Plunge on Jan 1 each year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_bear_plunge

Note that I am saying "we" in the "other people who are not me" way. ;)