The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

Nikon buys RED

Hi, In an interesting turn of events, Nikon bought RED. I don't know how much or how little Nikon pay for RED, or how are they paying, so we can't not infer anything about Nikon's financials from it. What is true is that the Photo Market continues to move in a generally downward...
  2. J

High speed flash, A review of the power of the H2D leaf shutter and the Sony Global shutter.

Hi, This is a technical overview of Flash sync technologies and how it affect results. It's unnerving that, suddenly, now that Sony can do high-speed flash sync YouTubers become aware of the advantages. Even fstoppers that did that beautiful atlas picture using the Sun as the world did not...
  3. J

Nikon 4.1 firmware bird mode performance and when to use it.

Hi, A new one from Steve Perry. Enjoy.
  4. J

Hasselblad face detect previews.

Hi, A little review of the new firmware by Hasselblad and 90mm Best regards
  5. J

Nikon 600PF previews and discussion.

Hi, A new innovative telephoto lens from Nikon. It seems to focus fast, it's light and weather-sealed. The price is a little bit high. A preview by Steve Perry: Best regards,
  6. J

Nikon Z9 firmware update version 4.10 released : preliminary tests.

Hi, It adds Birds and Plane subject detections. It doesn't seem to be to the level of the Sony A1, and you need to tell it to go for birds. Steve found situations where Animal is still better, but it seems to be significantly better in many circumstances. He will do a full review and update...
  7. J

Extensive review of the 180-600mm and comparison to other lenses, from the 500mm PF to the 800mm PF and including the 400mm.

Hi, The test includes a Sony lens is comparable optically but a little bit more expensive and higher performance in terms of AF: Best regards.
  8. J

Any Info on the Hasselblad 90mm f2.5?

Hi, I went to see if the 90mm was already available, understanding that they have moved the date to August. To my surprise, B&H shows Nov 27. I went to Hasselblad and it list as sold out. I don't know if Iwas available for a short period of time and I just miss it. Does anyone know something...
  9. J

New issues with the Z8

Hi, It seems Nikon is having more problems with the Z8 : https://nikonrumors.com/2023/07/17/several-nikon-z8-owners-report-separated-broken-strap-lugs.aspx/ As I stated before, I hope it does not turn into a D600, a camera that gives Nikon massive momentum just to destroy it a few months later...
  10. J

New lenses from Nikon

Today Nikon introduced the Nikkor Z 70-180mm f/2.8 and the Nikkor Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR at very good prices US$ 1247 and $1696 respectively. The 70-180mm is probably a Tamron but with Nikon firmware. Nikon's line of telephoto lenses is just fantastic, I will say it's the most interesting...
  11. J

Hasselblad discontinues the H?

Hi, One of the more interesting parts of the X2D presentation is that Hasselblad did not include the H in the history of the Brand. I talked about that in this same forum back then. Today I saw a new video by Peter Coulson here he talks openly about the discontinuation of the H6, not only...
  12. J

Nikon. 600mm f4.0 tc fantastic pictures

Hi, here is a good preview by someone that is a fantastic wildlife photographer. He is not an ambassador, so it's not compromised. Even if this lens is not for you, I will recommend that you look at the video, because of the quality of the images. The lens is out of most budgets (including...
  13. J

Capture One for iPad1

Hello, I saw this update on my feed. I still have my perpetual license but I moved to Lightroom when I notice that it was less expensive to have Lightroom + Lightroom Classic + Photoshop + 1TB of storage than subscribing to Capture One. This is. no longer the case, and. the difference is...
  14. J

X2D previews

The previews are starting, clearly, the first ones are going to be by friends of the brand, but I will say they are useful. What I can't get for the life of me is why it does not have a joystick to select the focus point or at least a pad, but OK as I say before the progress is massive. In...
  15. J

Many Nikon Nikkor F-mount DSLR lenses discontinued

Hi, It's a sign of the times. I really like the idea of using the same lenses with my digital and analog cameras (Nikon D100) but the writing was in the wall for a long time. https://nikonrumors.com/2022/08/03/35-nikon-nikkor-f-mount-dslr-lenses-discontinued.aspx/#more-173019 There are...
  16. J

New Firmware for Nikon Cameras

Hi, New firmware for Nikon cameras. Mostly video updates for the Z9 but new goodies for photo too. For me ProRes raw is the most important update. I will have liked to have. 8K ProRes or ProRes raw, but it's pretty good nevertheless. I. will say that between the updates and the 800 PF it...
  17. J

Value proposition of Capture One: Why use it instead of Adobe?

Hi, I buy Capture One for Nikon, one time license. At this moment there is an offer to move to the full version. I went to see what was the price of the subscription, and stuff has not improved. It costs 24 US$/m to get the full version, or 19 dollars a month for the Nikon version. The...
  18. J

interesting X1d II sensor capabilities video.

Hi, I believe this is a nice work by someone that owns both Leicas and Hasselblad. He also knows about tiger sensors like the Phase One and H. The other videos he has in both cameras are also interesting. I am not related to him in any shape or form, it was the youtube algorithm that lead...
  19. J

interesting X1d II sensor capabilities video.

Hi, I believe this is a nice work by someone that owns both Leicas and Hasselblad. He also knows about tiger sensors like the Phase One and H. The other videos he has in both cameras are also interesting. I am not related to him in any shape or form, it was the youtube algorithm that lead...
  20. J

Nikon F100 and Tamron. 45mm f1.8 VC FP

Hi, I understand that the 45mm is basically a G lens, and it should work with the F100 film camera, but I will like to know for sure before I buy it. Rental is not an option because that basically does not exists in my country. I have a digital Nikon (D750), but I prefer to buy lenses that...