The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Q2 shots

spb

Staff member
The big white is back again after the latest 3 day nor'easter blew through here leaving us with about 2 feet of snow to dig out.

The first shot the more I look at it is fab - would make a good Christmas card.

scho

I just received a new Leica Q2 (RGB model) to use along with my Q2 M. Traded in my two L mount cameras (Leica CL and Panasonic S1R) to fund this purchase. I think that the Q2 will be ideal for my travel needs, based on prior experience using a Sony RX1RII for travel shooting.

Just two shots of plants again after receiving the new camera.

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
I wonder why some images are shown small and the others almost full scale. Are they because of export setting from pp far ware?
No when you upload you have the choice to upload thumbnails or full image.

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
Scho, nice pictures now you have a brace of Q2's - wow that is a small travel system! Is there any physical difference between the cameras, so you don't pick up the 'wrong' one, i.e. one black and one chrome ;);)

scho

Yes, the Q2 has the red Leica dot, different body covering texture, and a semi gloss black paint instead of matte.

spb

Staff member
Yes, the Q2 has the red Leica dot, different body covering texture, and a semi gloss black paint instead of matte.
LOL I forgot one has the red dot and the other not - simple! No mistake possible when grabbing the 'right one'.

scho

Did a little comparison last night between Q2M and Q2. Q2M was shot with B+W orange filter so I converted the Q2 RGB image to B&W using an orange filter in SilverEffexPro II. Subject was a bowl with oranges, apples, and a lemon. Tonality is quite similar with slightly more texture in the Q2M shot, but tonal rendition is very close in both. Images below are 100% screen grabs in Lightroom. Real differences are in lowlight high ISO shots where the Q2M exhibits better dynamic range and less noise.

This is the Q2 shot after B&W conversion

Q2M shot

scho

Couple of images from the Q2 on a walk around the floriculture experimental plots. I had to upload images via my website because Flickr fell apart today and would not allow me to upload.

scho

Another try with the new Enhanced raw processing feature in ACR. Very quick (<10 sec on my mini M1 in PS) process and for this Q2 file output was about 120 MP. Cropped to 1:1 and downsampled 50% for upload. Click for the 50% jpeg and find the flock of geese at far right edge of image, already in classic V formation before taking off.

Last edited:

scho

Ice is out on the south end of Cayuga Lake and it is low water mud season now.

Two young ladies walked out to dance in the mud.

Wide open (both the mouth and the lens)

Last edited:

scho

Converted to B&W in ACR with Enhanced mode that created a 187 MP file. Resampled 50% for upload (same size as original before processing in ACR). Just an exercise to get a very large file that could produce a really big print.

scho

We took a 45 min drive up along the east shore of Cayuga Lake to Aurora, NY and then another mile or so north of the village to La-La Land, aka MacKenzie-Childs. Originally a lovely old farm that has been completely transformed into a fantasy world. You enter La-La land via a red brick driveway that winds around the property (they should have used yellow bricks for maximum effect). First stop and parking area is at the large building housing the offices and artisan studios where they manufacture their wares. There is also of course a shop where you can purchase some unusual items.

Inside the shop. Everything is hand made by the resident artists.

A signature pattern in many of their products.

The original old farmhouse. Cayuga Lake visible in background.

The bird house for exotic fowl that live on the property. they also have other exotic farm animals wandering around the property.

Last edited:

scho

A short afternoon drive over to Watkins Glen and back over the ridge between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes through the Finger Lakes National Forest.

Watkins Glen town pier on Seneca Lake

Summer residence for "True Love", a beautiful , old schooner with an interesting history.

The old foundry building in downtown Watkins Glen, that now houses the Seneca Harbor wine center.

A small beaver pond on top of the ridge between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes. Two shot panorama.

Last edited:

spb

Staff member
Another re-process. Q2 image from last year shot in Watkins Glen at the town pier. Processed through DXO PureRaw 2. Click for full size.

Watkins Glen - rang a bell: of course -Watkins Glen International, the spiritual home of road racing in the USA, but obviously not near this lovely image!

Last edited: