The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH6

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For me, it's very simple:
if the price isn't totally beyond my means, I should just buy this camera and call it a day.

Rumoured specs:
  • 25 million pixel PLF-less sensor
  • High resolution shooting of 100 million pixels
  • 5.7K video
  • Sensor readout up to 300fps
  • High-speed readout of 120 fps at 4K resolution
  • Rolling shutter suppression
  • Computational processing capacity is about double
  • New intelligent details New 2D noise reduction High-performance 3D-NR (video) Improved AF performance Processing speed is 3 times faster than before DFD performance has evolved
  • New recording mode 4K120p 4: 2: 0 10bit 300Mbps 4K 60p 4: 2: 2 10bit 800Mbps / 600Mbps 5.7K 60p 4: 2: 0 10bit 300Mbps C4K 120p 4: 2: 0 10bit 300Mbps C4K 60p 4: 2: 2 10bit 800Mbps / 600Mbps Recording file method supports Apple ProRes in addition to MP4 and MOV 5.7K 30p Apple ProRes 422 HQ 1.9Gbps
  • Card slot: CFexpress TypeB slot, UHSII compatible SD card slot Weight: 739g
  • Dynamic range boost function: It is possible to shoot a wide dynamic range image at a maximum of 60 fps by synthesizing an overexposed image and an underexposed image in real time. Achieves a dynamic range of up to 13+ stops approaching the full size. The minimum ISO sensitivity is 800, and when using V-log it is 2000, so an ND filter is essential. Image stabilization: Adopts an ultra-high performance gyro sensor and a new algorithm, and has a correction effect equivalent to 7.5 steps. Smooth image stabilization that is ideal for movies. Dark place performance: High-sensitivity noise is much suppressed compared to GH5II while increasing the number of pixels. It can be used normally up to ISO3200. Built-in microphone evolved from 16bit to 24bit. 4 channels can be recorded when using an XLR adapter. Phase-difference AF is not installed, but AF is much better. The AF calculation speed has tripled, the background omission and tracking performance have been greatly improved, and the AF speed has also become considerably faster. There are 315 AF points in the full area. Human, face / pupil, animal + human subject recognition can be used in all AF modes. The focus range can be set with the focus limiter.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me, it's very simple:
if the price isn't totally beyond my means, I should just buy this camera and call it a day.

Rumoured specs:
  • 25 million pixel PLF-less sensor
  • High resolution shooting of 100 million pixels
  • 5.7K video
  • Sensor readout up to 300fps
  • High-speed readout of 120 fps at 4K resolution
  • Rolling shutter suppression
  • Computational processing capacity is about double
  • New intelligent details New 2D noise reduction High-performance 3D-NR (video) Improved AF performance Processing speed is 3 times faster than before DFD performance has evolved
  • New recording mode 4K120p 4: 2: 0 10bit 300Mbps 4K 60p 4: 2: 2 10bit 800Mbps / 600Mbps 5.7K 60p 4: 2: 0 10bit 300Mbps C4K 120p 4: 2: 0 10bit 300Mbps C4K 60p 4: 2: 2 10bit 800Mbps / 600Mbps Recording file method supports Apple ProRes in addition to MP4 and MOV 5.7K 30p Apple ProRes 422 HQ 1.9Gbps
  • Card slot: CFexpress TypeB slot, UHSII compatible SD card slot Weight: 739g
  • Dynamic range boost function: It is possible to shoot a wide dynamic range image at a maximum of 60 fps by synthesizing an overexposed image and an underexposed image in real time. Achieves a dynamic range of up to 13+ stops approaching the full size. The minimum ISO sensitivity is 800, and when using V-log it is 2000, so an ND filter is essential. Image stabilization: Adopts an ultra-high performance gyro sensor and a new algorithm, and has a correction effect equivalent to 7.5 steps. Smooth image stabilization that is ideal for movies. Dark place performance: High-sensitivity noise is much suppressed compared to GH5II while increasing the number of pixels. It can be used normally up to ISO3200. Built-in microphone evolved from 16bit to 24bit. 4 channels can be recorded when using an XLR adapter. Phase-difference AF is not installed, but AF is much better. The AF calculation speed has tripled, the background omission and tracking performance have been greatly improved, and the AF speed has also become considerably faster. There are 315 AF points in the full area. Human, face / pupil, animal + human subject recognition can be used in all AF modes. The focus range can be set with the focus limiter.
Looks impressive indeed!

For you as mainly a Panasonic shooter this camera should make a lot of sense.

For me as a long year Olympus shooter the OM-1 is much more appealing. May sound crazy but after all these years of open wishes for Olympus cameras the OM-1 ticks almost all the boxes for me and makes me really want to go back into that system.

Just follow your heart!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The GH6 is clearly larger and heavier than the GH5. I expect also much more expensive, but I haven't seen a price yet. This is what I suspected when they launched the GH5 II nearly a year ago, and the sensible choice for me might be the GH5 II plus a G9. The total price for the two will probably be in the same area as one GH6. We'll see.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Still - which one would you prefer based on specs: OM1 or GH6 … :unsure:
Since I do quite a lot of video, the GH6. I also prefer Panasonic/PL lenses, and many of them will give me Dual IS with the GH6. However, the GH6 is also much larger, so one of each would be perfect, one for mobility and one for serious video work.

iiiNelson

The rumored price is $2500 and it’s a price (if true) that’ll limit commercial appeal. This may not be a problem with the global chip shortages though.

In any case it seems like a reasonable upgrade for many. The reduced readout times are a big benefit.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The GH6 seems to deliver more than I had hoped for. The increased stills quality and 100MP handheld hi-res mode means that there's no reason to wait for a G9 II other than for those who do wildlife, action and sports, and for that, the OM-1 is probably the better camera anyway.

But as a hybrid stills/video shooter with a bunch of MFT lenses, this is only a question of digging out a sufficient amount of cash.

... and so on.

This camera will be a big, lasting success.

Knorp

Spot the difference ... :unsure:

The OM-1 will be available from early March 2022 at a price of $2199, body only.
The Panasonic Lumix GH6 will be available starting mid-March for $2,199 (body only).

bensonga

Re the new 25mp sensor....does anyone know what a "PLF-less sensor" means?

Since I don't shoot video, I'll be interested to see what improvements a G9 II (if there will be one) has over the existing G9 (I have two of them).

The OM-1 looks great and I hope a G9 II is equally good in most respects. I do wish there was 100% interoperability in all functions when using Olympus or Panasonic lenses on the other company's cameras. I like both, so I'm quite invested in Olympus and Panasonic cameras and lenses.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Still no PDAF and an internal active cooling - man - this is enough to turn me off :((n):(

This is a hybrid camera by definition, but actually it is far more a video camera that can also shoot stills.

This body size defeats completely what m43 stands for!

I know I may belong to the minority and many will love this brick for its video capabilities, but for me being mainly a photographer who shoots video sometimes the path Olympus is going with their OM-1 is much more appealing.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a very positive review from a very popular YouTuber (884K followers). Potato Jet's style isn't really my favourite, I'm probably decades too old, but he covers most bases in this half hour video:

SrMphoto

PLF-less likely means LPF-less, which means without low-pass filter.
The camera appears to do interesting things with its sensor (dual output gain).
100MP handheld high-res is nice, but has its limitations, including long processing times. It has motion artifact removal, which can be very useful.
It could be an interesting landscape camera, although its focus seems clearly to be video.

biglouis

A fantastic camera that looks like it will be crippled for action (i.e. wildlife) by the unreliable and sometimes unresponsive DFD focussing system. Not sure what affect that has on video but for stills it is a problem in my experience which is why I sold my G9 and all my m43rds kit.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I know there are not many "Tony Northrop lovers" around here but actually this video where he compares the GH6 to the Canon R6 is pretty interesting and tells a lot of truth

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I know there are not many "Tony Northrop lovers" around here but actually this video where he compares the GH6 to the Canon R6 is pretty interesting and tells a lot of truth

That was actually quite interesting. When it comes to AF-S, Panasonic has always been extremely fast and precise. For my use, I have no complaints. I also use manual focus for most of my video work. If I still shot sports or ventured into wildlife, I would choose another camera, but I don't. To me, this is a very tempting camera.

iiiNelson

Still no PDAF and an internal active cooling - man - this is enough to turn me off :((n):(

This is a hybrid camera by definition, but actually it is far more a video camera that can also shoot stills.

This body size defeats completely what m43 stands for!

I know I may belong to the minority and many will love this brick for its video capabilities, but for me being mainly a photographer who shoots video sometimes the path Olympus is going with their OM-1 is much more appealing.
Ive found for cameras that balance is far more important than pure mass specs would suggest. The idea that M43 (or any camera) needs to fit a standard mold has been disproven over the years. There are ither cameras available for those concerned about size alone but for video (the primary focus of this camera) added mass is welcomed to smooth out shots where a super light camera would introduce the possibility of far more unstable footage. It’s just a different approach and need for those more concerned for video which is increasingly becoming the growth sector for system cameras.

While this camera isn’t likely for me on account that I sold most of my M43 kit years ago, I do see the value in it for a particular video focused audience. It really does do what 90% of hybrid shooters would ever need in a relatively small package. The addition of ProRes is a huge thing only seen in the Z9 so far but I think it’ll become the norm in time. I do feel that far more people would be better served by a A7IV or R6 in this price range… but that’s a different matter.

bensonga

I hope this is true also. While the only moving subjects I currently shoot are for motorsports (for which I've been using my E-M1X), it would be great to have improved AF-C and tracking in the next generation of Panasonic's top of the line m43 stills camera.

Gary

k-hawinkler

I may have to eat my words, Daniel Cox, of Natural Exposures who I have followed as a former Panasonic ambassador and pro-wildlife shooter claims the AF for moving subjects is vastly improved. I wouldn't consider the GH6 for stills but if the technology is released in a stills-orientated 'G10' then that could be interesting.

https://naturalexposures.com/lumix-gh6-has-much-improved-auto-focus/

LouisB
I looked at the link.
Looks to me he is winging it.
No real substance presented IMHO.
I need to see a real in-depth review to form an opinion.