The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH6

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I may have to eat my words, Daniel Cox, of Natural Exposures who I have followed as a former Panasonic ambassador and pro-wildlife shooter claims the AF for moving subjects is vastly improved. I wouldn't consider the GH6 for stills but if the technology is released in a stills-orientated 'G10' then that could be interesting.

https://naturalexposures.com/lumix-gh6-has-much-improved-auto-focus/

LouisB
A bit off topic, but; have you seen the Zuiko 150-400mm thread over at FM? It's mind blowing what people do with assorted E-M1 bodies and that lens.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A wonderful lens that I have been trying to buy for more than a year :(.
I think you have to order it to have any chance. It's not predicted to be in stock anywhere in a long time, and the more photos that are shown, the longer the queue will become 🙃

biglouis

A bit off topic, but; have you seen the Zuiko 150-400mm thread over at FM? It's mind blowing what people do with assorted E-M1 bodies and that lens.
< What is FM? I'd like to look >

I try not to look at the results of the 150-400 as I don't think I can inflict the cost of it on my wallet. The aforementioned Daniel Cox uses it and gets some incredible results.

I would never have left m43rds were it not for the awful Panasonic DFD system. I was especially upset at doing so as I think both the GX8 and G9 bodies are probably the best I have used. Apart from wildlife, the system was excellent for everything else: architecture, reportage, still life etc. But the number of easy bird and wildlife photographs I missed while the AF boomeranged back and forth was excruciating. What made me finally lose it was a day spent birding with the G9 and 200/f2.8 where it had missed pretty much every opportunity and then at the last minute without intending to the G9 finally locked onto a bird in focus for the first time the whole day. I was literally so angry that the next day I went down to my local camera shop and switched to Fuji, which at the time was the only other mirrorless contender on the block and which has been very good in action situations (as you can see by the numerous posts over in the Fuji thread).

I am by no means a Fuji fan-boy and I am glad Panasonic and OM systems keep going. I don't rule going back over to that system as I am beginning to find even the Fuji system a bit too heavy to contend with as I enter the late parts of my seventh decade. I'll await with interest the 'G10'.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

I try not to look at the results of the 150-400 as I don't think I can inflict the cost of it on my wallet. The aforementioned Daniel Cox uses it and gets some incredible results.

I would never have left m43rds were it not for the awful Panasonic DFD system. I was especially upset at doing so as I think both the GX8 and G9 bodies are probably the best I have used. Apart from wildlife, the system was excellent for everything else: architecture, reportage, still life etc. But the number of easy bird and wildlife photographs I missed while the AF boomeranged back and forth was excruciating. What made me finally lose it was a day spent birding with the G9 and 200/f2.8 where it had missed pretty much every opportunity and then at the last minute without intending to the G9 finally locked onto a bird in focus for the first time the whole day. I was literally so angry that the next day I went down to my local camera shop and switched to Fuji, which at the time was the only other mirrorless contender on the block and which has been very good in action situations (as you can see by the numerous posts over in the Fuji thread).

I am by no means a Fuji fan-boy and I am glad Panasonic and OM systems keep going. I don't rule going back over to that system as I am beginning to find even the Fuji system a bit too heavy to contend with as I enter the late parts of my seventh decade. I'll await with interest the 'G10'.

LouisB
FM:

iiiNelson

LouisB
Looking at multiple videos, I still don’t think the updated DFD is suited for a wildlife shooter. They placed the GH6 side by side with a Sony A1, A7SIII, and some other cameras. The differences regarding AF performance are glowing… so if that’s a deal breaker you probably made the right move for your shooting even if it’s better than it was.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

LouisB
Louis,

why not try the OM-1 with that new 150-400 PRO? I am sure you would be very happy with that combo. I myself am thinking of getting back into m43 with exactly the same configuration.

I would not even try the GH6 despite all that "great AF improvements" - it is still not PDAF and thus forget it. The OM-1 has 1023 PDAF pints over the complete frame and from what was shown it is absolutely stunning for AF-C and tracking - of course also bird tracking.

Peter

iiiNelson

Louis,

why not try the OM-1 with that new 150-400 PRO? I am sure you would be very happy with that combo. I myself am thinking of getting back into m43 with exactly the same configuration.

I would not even try the GH6 despite all that "great AF improvements" - it is still not PDAF and thus forget it. The OM-1 has 1023 PDAF pints over the complete frame and from what was shown it is absolutely stunning for AF-C and tracking - of course also bird tracking.

Peter
Might be an issue of Olympus lenses not working as great with Panasonic bodies and vice versa. Honestly, he’s probably better off sticking with Fuji or moving to FF if budget allows.

Again PDAF can be great but we also can’t act like they’re all made equally. Sony and Canon has great PDAF… and by most accounts the Z9 is approaching here levels for AF butquite frankly there’s really not a difference in photos between a Lumix S camera and the Nikon Z or Fuji X cameras in AF performance when testing them side by side in real world.

biglouis

Louis,

Peter
The 150-400 is ridiculously expensive - if it was closer to half the price I could be interested. I understand it is one of a kind but in fact the long end is what interests most birders and for a fraction of the price you could do just as well with 300f4 and TCs - and not sacrifice much in terms of stops.

In fact, it is the OM-1 with 300f4 which interests me most as there is now a ready supply of the lenses second hand with the instant depreciation that happens when you buy new avoided.

Looking at multiple videos, I still don’t think the updated DFD is suited for a wildlife shooter. They placed the GH6 side by side with a Sony A1, A7SIII, and some other cameras. The differences regarding AF performance are glowing… so if that’s a deal breaker you probably made the right move for your shooting even if it’s better than it was.
I'm waiting to see what the new Fuji X-H2s (rumour is two of them are on the way) are like and also the the 150-600 which is supposed to be introduced this year. All depends on prices for the kit. A 150-600 for the X mount system would be great but unless the X-H2s have animal eye, or even better bird-eye detection then I might be sucked into a new system which does offer both the reach and the computational photography.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The 150-400 is ridiculously expensive - if it was closer to half the price I could be interested. I understand it is one of a kind but in fact the long end is what interests most birders and for a fraction of the price you could do just as well with 300f4 and TCs - and not sacrifice much in terms of stops.

In fact, it is the OM-1 with 300f4 which interests me most as there is now a ready supply of the lenses second hand with the instant depreciation that happens when you buy new avoided.

I'm waiting to see what the new Fuji X-H2s (rumour is two of them are on the way) are like and also the the 150-600 which is supposed to be introduced this year. All depends on prices for the kit. A 150-600 for the X mount system would be great but unless the X-H2s have animal eye, or even better bird-eye detection then I might be sucked into a new system which does offer both the reach and the computational photography.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
@ Louis:

Too bad I sold my 300f4 last year, would have loved to sell to you :)

@ iiNelson:

The X-H2 with that new to be announced 150-600 will for sure be a stellar combo for birding and wildlife (I hope at least) but I try to bet that this Fuji 150-600 will be even at a higher price tag than the Olympus 150-400

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a very interesting review (for video users) with a guy who says he has never shot with an MFT camera before.

Last edited:

bensonga

Might be an issue of Olympus lenses not working as great with Panasonic bodies and vice versa.
This is especially true re OIS and IBIS. It is why I never use my Olympus telephoto lenses (40-150 Pro, 300 Pro and the 100-400) on my Panasonic cameras or use my Panasonic Leica teles (50-200 and 100-400) on my Olympus cameras.

A good summary of these issues is here: https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/mft-compatibility

Gary

Last edited:

iiiNelson

This is especially true re OIS and IBIS. It is why I never use my Olympus telephoto lenses (40-150 Pro, 300 Pro and the 100-400) on my Panasonic cameras or use my Panasonic Leica teles (50-200 and 100-400) on my Olympus cameras.

A good summary of these issues is here: https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/mft-compatibility

Gary
Yeah… unfortunately I know when I briefly owned an Olympus that I returned in favor of remaining with Panasonic in Micro 4/3 because I preferred Panasonic optics and image processing. Beyond the menu system (that I felt I would’ve learned better in time) the Olympus never felt as good to me personally.

I’ve long given up on the idea that any hybrid camera can be everything to all people and it’s why I’ve chosen to own multiple systems at this point. I’d love for L-mount to solve their AF deficiencies to be fully featured. I’d love for Sony to offer a physically larger pro body… I even considered Canon RF (mainly for the excellent 28-70/2) but I can’t deal with fully articulating screens as my only option. Now that I’ve upgraded my video system significantly I feel like I could probably get away with buying into a Fuji GFX even if they sort out their AF reliability and/or offer a 50 megapixel body with all of the 100 megapixel body sensor improvements… but in all reality I might just end up with another Leica or two and call it good. I don’t see myself ever buying another Panasonic flagship. I have serious issues with their business model but the products are excellent honestly.

SrMphoto

Gary
IMO, the stabilization compatibility issues are exaggerated. Here, Petr Bambousek writes why he prefers Panasonic 200/2.8 to Olympus 300/4 when using them on Olympus bodies:

PANASONIC LEICA 200MM/2.8 O.I.S

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
IMO, the stabilization compatibility issues are exaggerated. Here, Petr Bambousek writes why he prefers Panasonic 200/2.8 to Olympus 300/4 when using them on Olympus bodies:

PANASONIC LEICA 200MM/2.8 O.I.S
There's also the fact that IBIS has improved vastly, making the use of telephoto lenses without dual IS much easier. For shorter lenses there are really no issues. I use whatever lens I find practical.