The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Leica M8 Images!

dave.gt

Wonderful images!😇

I do not understand why such a nice image making instrument is languishing on a shelf or elsewhere and not being used much. 🙂Could it be that owners are “saving” their M8 cameras, or is life so busy it is hard to cycle all of the gear regularly for exercising them?😬… yikes, my problem with gear is the latter.

Just wondering… with digital gear, batteries go flat eventually, right? So, regarding batteries for the M8, how difficult is it to find reliable batteries? I presume the M8 batteries will also fit the M9, etc. But are the current available batteries as good as the original batteries? If not, that would be an issue for a lot of people.

It occurs to me that my friend who owns an M8 and an M9 must have at least several batteries available so that may be of little concern for him right now. I have no idea why he doesn’t use either one very much, opting instead for the M10. As before, I see no real difference in the posted images. They are all very good!

But then I have never worked with the raw files from either, so… it is just my opinion that an M8 is an excellent camera, in spite of its “quirky” issues. The images I find online are evidence of that and they certainly are capable even now. Still learning about the early digital offerings from Leica!👍

Keep on posting! That’s what makes this forum fun, right?😇

Photon42

I can buy genuine batteries for the M8/9 new here in Switzerland. But OK ... I sold everything but Nikon manual focus and film stuff to finance an M8, then sold the M8 to finance the M9 and then finally the M10 (variants ...). My photos with the M8 are all from 2007-2010.

dave.gt

Images like this make one wonder how they will be viewed over the course of time. Two people isolated from everyone else in a public setting with a phone stuck to their ear is a normal thing of course at this point in time.

So connected, right?

If that were true, I think the world would be a better place today, but I certainly wonder…🤷🏼‍♂️

dave.gt

I am curious now… 🙂

has anyone here actually done direct comparisons of M8 images with other digital Leica M cameras?

Photon42

Not really. That was the time of large improvement steps: The M9 came with 35mm compatibility (full frame), crazy 18MP and the absence of the need to use UV/IR filters. What a relief. Using the same lens for the same field of view like the M film cameras and not having to deal with these filters!