The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2024

rdeloe

Third and final version. I find this one the most satisfying, any thoughts?
Seawall #3, Northumberland...
GFX100s, GF32-64mm f4

Seeing that you asked for thoughts... ;) The mass of black rock at bottom right pulls the eye like a magnet, but when the eye gets there, there's no reward for making the journey. I find it hard to look at the rest of the image because of that big, dark mass.

This is an image that works much better, I believe, with this crop. My eye still wants to go to the bottom-right corner because it's brighter, but from there I noticed that I went back into the picture and followed the bright shoreline of the distance, and then roamed around in the soft textures and tones of the sea in different places in the image.

Alan's picture cropped.jpg

As always, I have to qualify that I don't know what you were trying to say with your image. It may be that your whole point was to create tension between the dark mass in the foreground and the softness of the sea, in which case my suggestion should go into the dustbin because it's not what you wanted to do!

Last edited:

PeterA

@AlanS I agree with ditching the black rocks for composiitional reasons put forward above - but I also much prefer the colour version of the image.

AlanS

Thank's both Peter and Rob. I take your point Rob and I do like the crop you presented. I don't tend to overthink these things too much but my intention was to anchor the image with the dark mass and then be drawn to the tip of the white pole at the end of the wall. Interesting how we read pics through our own lens? I also thought about removing the beach (fine art style?) to remove the distraction but decided against it, might revisit that.

John Leathwick

Shot just after astronomical dark on the Kaikoura Peninsula (NZ) as the Milky Way rose in the
eastern sky - Scorpio just visible above the horizon. Foreground was a single shot just before
complete darkness, combined with six 4-minute exposures of the sky, camera mounted on a
an IOptron tracker. This was the first night sky image I've tried with a newly acquired Fuji GFX
100s, and it acquits itself well - GF 23mm at F/5.6.

John

Milky Way at Kaikoura.jpg

Doppler9000

Shot just after astronomical dark on the Kaikoura Peninsula (NZ) as the Milky Way rose in the
eastern sky - Scorpio just visible above the horizon. Foreground was a single shot just before
complete darkness, combined with six 4-minute exposures of the sky, camera mounted on a
an IOptron tracker. This was the first night sky image I've tried with a newly acquired Fuji GFX

John

View attachment 213223
Nicely done!

anwarp

John

View attachment 213223
You guys down under, do see the sky upside down!
On a more serious note - fabulous image!

4x5Australian

John
John, your wonderful image invites close examination. Well done!

Northern hemisphere viewers in particular might relish the unusual prominence of the globular cluster Omega Centauri, the bright fuzzy star-like object left of the Milky Way near the top of the image. Omega Centauri is recognised as the brightest and most massive globular cluster known in the Milky Way galaxy.
Globular clusters inhabit the outer halo of galaxies and are enigmatic.
Omega Centauri - Wikipedia
Globular cluster - Wikipedia

Rod

John Leathwick

John, your wonderful image invites close examination. Well done!

Northern hemisphere viewers in particular might relish the unusual prominence of the globular cluster Omega Centauri, the bright fuzzy star-like object left of the Milky Way near the top of the image. Omega Centauri is recognised as the brightest and most massive globular cluster known in the Milky Way galaxy.
Globular clusters inhabit the outer halo of galaxies and are enigmatic.
Omega Centauri - Wikipedia
Globular cluster - Wikipedia

Rod
Thanks Rod for chiming in - and let me introduce Omega Centauri along with its nearby galaxy Centaurus A.
This was taken on a dark night outside my back door with a GFX 50SII and GF250 mounted on a more functional
tracker, a Fornax Lightrack II.

Edit - I should have also offered a prize to any northern hemisphere dweller who can identify the star feature that
marks the southern celestial pole. You northerners don't know how lucky you are having your Pole Star with which
to align a tracker. Finding the southern hemisphere equivalent is more like pin the tail on the (invisible) donkey, but
it is visible in my original image...

John

OmegaCentauri.jpg.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks Rod for chiming in - and let me introduce Omega Centauri along with its nearby galaxy Centaurus A.
This was taken on a dark night outside my back door with a GFX 50SII and GF250 mounted on a more functional
tracker, a Fornax Lightrack II.

Edit - I should have also offered a prize to any northern hemisphere dweller who can identify the star feature that
marks the southern celestial pole. You northerners don't know how lucky you are having your Pole Star with which
to align a tracker. Finding the southern hemisphere equivalent is more like pin the tail on the (invisible) donkey, but
it is visible in my original image...

John

View attachment 213229.
I would have guessed Southern Cross, but that probably shows my ignorance of all things South. I was in Patagonia once and things in the sky moved the wrong way and I didn't recognize the stars. Very disorienting! And some big honking comet was up there, too. (Early 2007)