The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It is Finally Here, 907x 100c

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Recently we had a vibrant conversation about the future of our forum. One key objective is to ensure that the forum is alive and attracts new members. The most important fact in reaching this objective is to have a serious partner who could support us and ensure financial stability of the forum. We are fortunate to have one! As many of you know Capture Integration has been supporting this very forum for the last few years. A few weeks ago, Dave and his team have agreed to extend their partnership with us for another year.

This is big news for all of us. One of the best ways to support this forum is to pre-order and purchase your gear through Capture Integration. Today Hasselblad released an updated 907X & CFV 100C. By ordering them through Capture Integration you help this forum a lot. Thank you so much for taking this into your consideration!

https://www.captureintegration.com/the-new-hasselblad-907x-100c-announced/

tcdeveau

Those are very unique options that Phase One has created with the IQ4 backs. They owns some patents but not sure if those have kept others from developing similar features. But no one offers anything like this and both of those features set the Phase One system apart from any of these new or old solutions. I have a lot of Architecture shooters that just love those features.
Patent atty here. Last I checked a year or two ago P1 didn’t have patents directed to dual exposure or frame averaging. Sony allowed frame averaging with their “smooth reflections” app for the original A7R long before the IQ4, so some of these features aren’t necessarily unique to P1. There might be IP out there preventing HB from implementing these features, but if there is, I don’t think it’s from P1.

EDIT: just did an updated search and nothing I saw stuck out as relating to frame averaging or dual exposure. Their filings the last 10 years owned by "Phase One A/s" relate to: adaptive autofocusing systems, decoding compressed images, better shutter synchronization, a digital camera with integrated accelerometers, and CCD long exposure for IQ260 etc. Didn't see anything from Hasselblad either. HB's most recent published filing relates to a control method for synching shutter and flash. Curiously FIG. 1 shows an unmanned flight system, so it looks related to a drone.

Having used frame averaging on the IQ4 I got pretty hooked. I've always appreciated HB's "no dark frame" approach to long exposures, but if they implemented frame averaging too it'd be awesome.

Last edited:

buildbot

i also wonder why it wasnt implemented into the GFX line yet, i think fuji actually made a vote once and FA was an option to choose from
Is the multi exposure mode not frame averaging? https://fujifilm-dsc.com/en-int/manual/gfx100s/taking_photo/multi-exp/

On stabilization - I actually might switch out my gfx100s to this! (Sorry Capture Int, just asked for a quote for a 260 trade in, should have asked about a gfx one!). The sensor floats around too much on a tripod, making my long telephoto landscapes blurry.

Doppler9000

That would not work since the flange distance is so great, anytime you mount a lens like that or any of the GF lenses you risk loosing infinity focus. And what more would you gain if the image circle is too small to take advantage of that extra 20 mm of movement.
It seems that infinity focus would be an issue only with a V series body, given that the GFX has a 26.7mm flange focal distance, and the X = 18.1mm.

Godfrey

Hmm, hmm, hmmm.

I bought my 907x/CFVII 50c '50th Anniversary Moon Landing' edition of the 907x/CFVII 50c to supplement and extend my Hasselblad 500CM kit, added the Hassie grip and viewfinder mount, added the 45P, 21, 65, and 90 mm lenses. The back works perfectly on my 500CM bodies with all my V system lenses (50-150mm). I made up my own "left side grip" as I find it easier and more appropriate to shoot waist level with the LCD set to flat 'pointed up' position rather than at eye level as the Hassie grip tends to prefer. And I've found the kit, with either 907x or 500CM bodies, to be perfectly usable in general, very hand-holdable when I want to make the effort, and superb on a tripod (the way I have always used a Hasselblad 90% of the time).

I've never needed or found the lack of image stabilization any issue, with any camera. The CFVII 50c output speed definitely impacts electronic shutter use due to rolling shutter effects, but heck: I didn't buy this kit to do to use ES all that much. It works well enough for average subjects as long as I stay aware of the rolling shuter limitations.

Since I didn't see it explicitly listed, I sent Hasselblad USA a note this morning to check on compatibility of my 907x body with the new back, and yes, it's completely compatible.

Since both my Leica Ms now output 40+ mpixel resolution and have exceptional dynamic range, and are smaller/handier etc to boot, I have thought from time to time about simplifying my gear cabinet and selling off all the Hasselblad equipment. Haven't done it yet (although I did sell my XCD 90mm lens) and still don't really want/need to. Do I want to invest a few thousand dollars into doubling the resolution? Would that motivate me to use it more? I'm not sure ...

I have no interest in technical cameras or Phase One or Fuji MFD competitors... ;) It's nice to see Hasselblad moving forward with the system.

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

ruebe

If that's the case that you can forget compact handholding with the Gibellini (or TC for that matter); TheVerge concluded that the ES is totally unuseable due to the slow readout ectectronics – from the review:

View attachment 210060

But that's not a problem - the Hassy seems to be destined for the 907 and V camera and for stationary tech cams where its price point is ground breakingly low.

And besides the 907 looks sleek and extremely compact, so no need to actually get another compact body.
i somehow hoped ES read out speed would be optimized in the process (no clue if that’s even possible) but having all lenses in copal doesn’t make this an issue for me anyway and i guess moving branches and vegetation shouldn't affect a picture as much as a car driving through the frame. also for flash work there is still copal and i wonder if i can mount the back to my arca with that hot shoe adapter on?). i am soon going to find out and i am very excited to do so as i have waited quite some time for the CFV 100c to materialize 😉

Steve Hendrix

i somehow hoped ES read out speed would be optimized in the process (no clue if that’s even possible) but having all lenses in copal doesn’t make this an issue for me anyway and i guess moving branches and vegetation shouldn't affect a picture as much as a car driving through the frame. also for flash work there is still copal and i wonder if i can mount the back to my arca with that hot shoe adapter on?). i am soon going to find out and i am very excited to do so as i have waited quite some time for the CFV 100c to materialize 😉

Many of my landscape clients use the ES with no issues from branches.

Unfortunately the hot shoe is part of the 907x, so mounting to a tech camera would have to be an XCD mount and there would have to be enough clearance so the lower right side shutter release button was not impeded by the tech camera body. But otherwise, viable.

Steve Hendrix/CI

drevil

Staff member
Is the multi exposure mode not frame averaging? https://fujifilm-dsc.com/en-int/manual/gfx100s/taking_photo/multi-exp/

On stabilization - I actually might switch out my gfx100s to this! (Sorry Capture Int, just asked for a quote for a 260 trade in, should have asked about a gfx one!). The sensor floats around too much on a tripod, making my long telephoto landscapes blurry.
interesting, but didnt see that so far. i only had the GFX100 back then, it this one allows only 2 images to be combined, the GFX100S allows multiple

anyone

How does the hot shoe adapter actually look like? And how about the battery life?
Finally: does it work with 2000-cameras?

Last edited:

PeterA

Great product marketing perfectly reaching out to those who are already invested in V systems with the added benefit of being able to use modern lenses if they choose to chase that. The older lenses arent designed to resolve 100MP- but so what and who cares -says nothing about the pleasure of making an image OR the quality of the photograph produced by the user. I love the X2D though-the IBIS and hand holdability was what brought me back to larger than 35mm chip- that and the easy 'pop' one gets this type of chip. Kudos to blad. No accident that a lot of Leica shooters I know - also have an X series camera (on the side) and unashamedly so! :p

As a current user of the CFV II 50C, I am excited to see that the new back appears to have a recessed power button. I hope that is true and that it will help avoid problems I have had with the old back accidentally turning on when carrying in a pack (and the fussing with positioning it so it didn't turn on).

I do wish the rear screen had been improved over the CFV II 50C but apparently it is the same?

Ai_Print

As a current user of the CFV II 50C, I am excited to see that the new back appears to have a recessed power button. I hope that is true and that it will help avoid problems I have had with the old back accidentally turning on when carrying in a pack (and the fussing with positioning it so it didn't turn on).
Good catch, it does appear to be recessed which is a great improvement.

P. Chong

yes, but as MGrayson has pointed out, limited to 9 exposures, and much less convenient to use. You will need to click 9 times. On the IQ4, the setup is intuitive, and up to 999(?) frames can be made with one single click.

Seems to be limited to 9 exposures.

diggles

yes, but as MGrayson has pointed out, limited to 9 exposures, and much less convenient to use. You will need to click 9 times. On the IQ4, the setup is intuitive, and up to 999(?) frames can be made with one single click.
Fuji multi exposure mode and Phase One frame averaging are designed for very different use cases.

buildbot

Fuji multi exposure mode and Phase One frame averaging are designed for very different use cases.
How so? I realize it's not as good, but it does seem to be able to do it. It is just averaging frames, which is ~2 flops per pixel X 100MP = 200Mflops = .2Gflops of work per shot which is nothing for a modern CPU. Unless there is some secret sauce the IQ4 has I am missing? Besides being a better implementation. Though, the Fuji multi exposure mode seems like it has more features than frame averaging, just more limited and with weird Fuji ergonomics like clicking each time...