The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It is Finally Here, 907x 100c

SrMphoto

Doesn't work quite well. If you convert your files into .dng from Phocus, you loose the Hassy wonderful colours. If you convert them into TIFF, you loose processing flexibility.... No workaround.
Many Hasselblad photographers are doing that: demosaic and slight adjustments in Phocus and then do the bulk of post processing in Photoshop or Lightroom.

anyone

Did anyone get their hands on one of those backs yet? I'll have the chance to try one beginning/ mid February. If yes: how are your first impressions/ images? My biggest question is about how well the ES performs in real world use. In my case, that would be landscape shot handheld, with moving leaves and clouds from time to time.

Godfrey

In viewing one of the YT videos about the new 907x/100C, I was very amused to see a couple of features on the 907x/100C that have been notably missing on the the X2D. First, you can plug the Hasselblad remote cable release into a USB-C port on the bottom of the new digital back. Second, the accessory handgrip for the 907x has a.....JOYSTICK for moving the AF point around.
Interesting. :D

The 907x accessory handgrip has always had that joystick... it's not new for the 907x/CFV100c model.

The CFVII 50c uses a wired remote that plugs into the "Stereo In" port via a stereo minijack. It is the same remote that the X1D/X1D II used. So ... this implies that there is a new Hasselblad remote cable release for the CFV 100c... I don't see it on the Hasselblad website yet. Once it is available, I wonder if they won't update the X2D firmware to enable its use there too.

fun fun fun. All the hoopla over the 907x/CFV 100c has gotten me motivated to take out my 907x/CFVII 50c "Moon..." edition and do some shooting with it. It's a lovely camera and I've been neglecting it.

G

Godfrey

Did anyone get their hands on one of those backs yet? I'll have the chance to try one beginning/ mid February. If yes: how are your first impressions/ images? My biggest question is about how well the ES performs in real world use. In my case, that would be landscape shot handheld, with moving leaves and clouds from time to time.
I haven't seen a spec yet for the CFV 100c back's readout speed. The CFVII 50c readout speed is about 300 milliseconds, and I have done quite a few walking about photos with it in ES mode using my V system or other oddball lenses.. I haven't seen too many problems other than when I had a situation that was obviously out of range for the readout speed to handle properly.

G

richardman

I forgot the exact spec, but the readout speed is quite a bit faster.

I have been using the 907x+CFV II 50C for a few walk-around sessions. It's a lot of fun.

tenmangu81

Many Hasselblad photographers are doing that: demosaic and slight adjustments in Phocus and then do the bulk of post processing in Photoshop or Lightroom.
YES !! This is what I am doing ! I meant using Capture One : there is no workaround with this software for Hasselblad files. You miss either colours with .dng or flexibility with TIFF. For the time being. Until Capture One and Hasselblad find an agreement.... one day.

guphotography

In principle, I might be a candidate ... I have some experience with TS lenses and since last year with an Arca-Swiss F-Line. The biggest advantage for me would be the non-existent FFD of a CFV digital back for wide-angle in architecture (I'm an architect myself and also shoot for other offices) With DSLM / DSLR, of course, a certain willingness to compromise is always required, as we have already discussed in detail here in the 35mm lens thread, for example.
Not so much the resolution, but BSI is of course an argument against a CFV 50. However, if I follow the posts here, the solution is not yet clear to me, as the bigger investment will be the lenses. And all in all, I don't know if that would be a big enough step up from my current DSLM setup to justify it. Some of the descriptions about the shutter, flash, long exposures etc. also make me feel unsure about taking such a huge step ... This requires further research.
In addition to Warren's comment, BSI sensor really makes Schneider 35xl and 47xl a very practical starting point.

On tech cam, you can easily stitch two vertical frames to form a wider angle of view. For instance, two vertical frames from 35xl, 15mm each side would give you the look of 28xl, which is about the widest perspective beyond comfort. Currently 43xl on IQ3 is my go to lens for interior work, while 60xl for exteriors, they produces much more natural look. On the cfv 100c, I'd imagine 35xl would replace 43xl.

Composition plays a vital part in architectural photography, more so than any other genre. The unique ability of tech cam to allow combined x and y movements is truly an eye opener in practice. Plus you will have access to more lens choices that woudl help shape the way you see, longer view is way more pleasant to our eyes, and it gives viewer's mind space to imagine by showing less.

Digitalcameraman

Just a follow up on Warren's comments about using ES and using flash. I recently did a test at an Arch workshop with a few end users. One was using the XT and IQ4, we set it to 1/4 sec and it could not fire the flash, we got to 1/2 and 1 sec it fired the flash over and over, no issues what so ever. I think I have also noticed that the spec for ES for IQ3 is slightly slower and this also proves to work fine. I have used the 1-2 rule for IQ3 compared to 1/2-1 sec for IQ4. Brad points this out in his blog about syncing flash in ES mode

I get a lot of calls from folks using Phase One backs and Fuji gfx100s. The main problem they encounter is that their shutter on GFX 100s was defaulted to use ES. They try to hook up a flash but they cannot get it to sync. 9 out of 10 times that is the issue, their camera came out of box set to ES, so I start with that as a fix first.

Same with Phase One systems, get the call and they had switched it to ES to shoot ambient images on a Cambo WRS5000 and then went back to the interiors where they needed to hook up a Profoto wireless remote and could not get a flash to work. 99% of the time checking that

One other comment on ES and artifacts. We have seen a few occurrences of ES artifacts or smearing of the image with Fuji GFX 100 cameras, it seems to get worse if a the longer lens is used, like 110mm, and it does not occur in every frame. In some cases as the photographer started bursting fast, he did not notice the previews had that smearing effect until he download the images into Capture One. The metadata revealed he was set to ES.

Hmm... Thanks for pointing this out. I'm a bit unclear about the process. It seems like when the electronic shutter setting is selected, some Phase backs still send a signal to activate the flash. So, if you use the shutter speeds mentioned in the article you can sync your flash? Does flash duration have to be considered? What is an example of how you use it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Phase V

Well, the question here is, can the Hasselblad back fire a flash as well?
The datasheet says no, maybe it will do? Can somebody verify?

Geoff

I haven't seen a spec yet for the CFV 100c back's readout speed. The CFVII 50c readout speed is about 300 milliseconds, and I have done quite a few walking about photos with it in ES mode using my V system or other oddball lenses.. I haven't seen too many problems other than when I had a situation that was obviously out of range for the readout speed to handle properly.

G
Read somewhere it was around 160ms vs. 300 or so in the CFV 50. Have no idea if that's right, but it sounds good. FWIW, have used hand holding with ES in the CFV 50, and it can work pretty well. Don't know how, as the numbers suggest otherwise, but it's not impossible. A faster speed would be that much better....

guphotography

The promo video shows well groomed bloke firing the camera with flash effortlessly in slow mo, can I take that as a yes?

Doppler9000

G
Assuming it’s the same as the X2D, 167 ms @ 14 bits, 387 @ 16 bits. X2D test by Jim Kasson.

ruebe

The promo video shows well groomed bloke firing the camera with flash effortlessly in slow mo, can I take that as a yes?
it won’t fire in ES mode. that bloke used a leave shutter synchro (V lens or xcd lens) but that doesn’t mean a thing: i exposed once for 2s (with flash trigger in place and activated, nothing happened) and once fired flash manually in the second frame straight into the ceiling (also 2s exposure).

PS both captured on tech cam with rodie lens in ES mode

Attachments

Last edited:

diggles

There are some good lenses on the longer end that aren't too rare and shouldn't break the bank. For example, the Hasselblad-Zeiss 3.5/100 Planar is exceptionally sharp and distortion free, and also provides a generous image circle. In my experience, it performs well when shifted simultaneously 10mm laterally and 10mm vertically on the larger 54x40mm sensor, with only a hint of purple fringing at the corners that's easily corrected in post.

I'll let others speak to some of the Mamiya and Pentax lenses.

John
Thank you for the heads up on the 100 Planar. It looks like there are two models and the MTF charts look identical.
This made me wonder what the differences are between the models. With a quick Google search, I stumbled upon this thread on a website that strangely seems tailor-made for our camera and lens fascination :D

diggles

In principle, I might be a candidate ... I have some experience with TS lenses and since last year with an Arca-Swiss F-Line. The biggest advantage for me would be the non-existent FFD of a CFV digital back for wide-angle in architecture (I'm an architect myself and also shoot for other offices) With DSLM / DSLR, of course, a certain willingness to compromise is always required, as we have already discussed in detail here in the 35mm lens thread, for example.
Not so much the resolution, but BSI is of course an argument against a CFV 50. However, if I follow the posts here, the solution is not yet clear to me, as the bigger investment will be the lenses. And all in all, I don't know if that would be a big enough step up from my current DSLM setup to justify it. Some of the descriptions about the shutter, flash, long exposures etc. also make me feel unsure about taking such a huge step ... This requires further research.
I'll let others speak to some of the Mamiya and Pentax lenses.
For Architecture, the smc Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8 is almost a no brainer lens to have in your bag– compact, no distortion, image circle that handles 15mm movements (I expect more, but have no experience), professional image quality, and currently less than $500.

SrMphoto

Read somewhere it was around 160ms vs. 300 or so in the CFV 50. Have no idea if that's right, but it sounds good. FWIW, have used hand holding with ES in the CFV 50, and it can work pretty well. Don't know how, as the numbers suggest otherwise, but it's not impossible. A faster speed would be that much better....
From Jim Kasson's measurements:
50MP: 250ms
100MP at 14-bits: 166ms
100MP at 16-bits: 370ms

usm

For Architecture, the smc Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8 is almost a no brainer lens to have in your bag– compact, no distortion, image circle that handles 15mm movements (I expect more, but have no experience), professional image quality, and currently less than $500.
Any tips to mount this on an Arca R/factum?