The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M11M and summilux 50 MK II officially launched!

algrove

Did you see the M10M , M11M and M11 comparison test on Reid's sight? Wish he had used a recent Leica APO lens instead of a Voigtlander APO 35. To me the results might be more representable of current capabilities of all cameras since new sensor wells must play better with modern Leica lenses.

Last edited:

Paratom

some images I took with a M11M (beta). I really like this camera and the advanced exp metering is great specially for a monochrome camera ( sorry my post prroc. skills are not great)
M1010062.jpg
M1010014.jpg

Last edited:

Paratom

With the ‚classic‘ rangefinder center weighted metering, from M8 to M9 I allways found it tricky in contrasty landscapes/ bright sky for example to get correct exp in A mode. With mich sky in image it would be underexposed forground, with metering on foreground it would be overeposed sky,…
so sometimes it would take me 2-3 or more images to get a well exposed image.
or dial in -0.7 as a standard, be more on the safe side regadrding highlights, but sometimes give away some dr.
Now with the newer models up to M10r you could, as you know, switch to multi field metering, but only in lifeview mode, which would increase the shutter delay for quite a bit.
Now with the M11 we can use the multifield metering and also the highlight metering without longer shutter delay. We pay for this with a little less nice shutter sound, but we gain a-in my experience- more reliable exp metering. For me it is a big step forward for the M11 / M11M.

Paul Spinnler

With the ‚classic‘ rangefinder center weighted metering, from M8 to M9 I allways found it tricky in contrasty landscapes/ bright sky for example to get correct exp in A mode. With mich sky in image it would be underexposed forground, with metering on foreground it would be overeposed sky,…
so sometimes it would take me 2-3 or more images to get a well exposed image.
or dial in -0.7 as a standard, be more on the safe side regadrding highlights, but sometimes give away some dr.
Now with the newer models up to M10r you could, as you know, switch to multi field metering, but only in lifeview mode, which would increase the shutter delay for quite a bit.
Now with the M11 we can use the multifield metering and also the highlight metering without longer shutter delay. We pay for this with a little less nice shutter sound, but we gain a-in my experience- more reliable exp metering. For me it is a big step forward for the M11 / M11M.
Thanks for pointing this out - need to look into the M11s modes. Indeed sometimes overlooked, effortless exp. metering IS a big plus

algrove

Shutter sound has never impacted me especially on the street where ambient noise is far louder than any shutter sound. So this makes the M11M the ultimate camera so far.

Plus if one is shooting portraits the person likes to hear the shutter so that they know you are actually taking their image. Otherwise they often can look confused as to what you are doing behind the camera.

Paratom

I dont feel it to be louder but just different. Personally I dont mind (much) M11 is my fav M. I shoot more color than bw, otherwise I would probably get a M11m. The M10 is great, but for me the M11 series has some real life advantages, besides exp metering I also like the new battery and c-usb connection with internal storage and loading capability, the new evf ( for makro and wide angle) is also an improvement.

Last edited:

algrove

M11M received, FW updated, but heavy rains have left me sitting inside messing with menus. Decided to set Metering mode to H/L recovery with H/L clipping set liberally to 245 to start with. It sure is a lovely cam. No new 50 lux so will have to settle for the 50/1.2 today. ;) BTW mine was manufactured way back 2 Dec 2022! That was a surprise considering I kept hearing that M11 production was lagging.

algrove

So thanks a lot to Jono Slack I am zeroing in my settings little by little. If set to DNG only and IN=SD setting (where images are mirrored on both memories) then it saves only DNG eliminating the need to shoot DNG's + JPG's (like on the M11) in order to get the EVF to show B&W only. This is terrific.

Wonder if the magic sauce for speeding up data transfer was in using a 256GB internal memory instead of a 64GB like on the M11.

algrove

The EVF showing only B&W is my type of EVF. Almost better than shooting film since I never see color through the EVF. Yeah!

algrove

Everything is terrific EXCEPT C1 just confirmed to me there is no support for the M11M as yet. Assume the FW upgrade today from Adobe included it. Will check.

algrove

Having used the M11M with APO 35/2 and 24/1.4 (so far) for a few days, I can say the images are outstanding. Using C1 and generic M11M profile.

Shadows up as I am underexposing on purpose, black point up, sometimes contrast and that's about all globally. These images have a new look AFAIC. It was worth selling my M10M's.

ES works well too when SS dial set to "A" and I set f stop and use base ISO whenever possible with EV -2/3 to help protect highlights. With H/L Weighted metering mode I am now wondering if the -2/3 is even necessary.

Thanks for your comments. I’ve now take a selection of sample DNGs on 3 occasions with the M11M, and also think the images are outstanding. To my eyes, it’s like going up a film format, say from 120 to 5x4 …..more resolution, but especially I notice the smoother and richer tonality in large files. I’ve always liked my M10M for being the “least digital” output of any digital I’ve owned, and the M11M expands that further IMHO. I expect to be off to my dealer next week to put the M10M up for sale, and start to source an M11M.

algrove

Traveling, but will get some images posted when there is a lull in image capturing. NOT.

Why did I even bring along one M11? Might sell one M11 and get another M11M.